Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Dealer & Distributor Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-10-2017, 03:30 PM   #1

Honest opinion please

Do you think a fully properly assembled Enforcer from a brick and mortar with true dealer backing can sell for $1699? My nephew is a Tao tao dealer at his pawn shop but I think he can make some money and have some happy customers with the enforcer.

Once you get into selling vehicles that can be registered the red tape and cost go up so there has to be some $$ in it for him.

Old 03-10-2017, 03:47 PM   #2

I don't see why not. It would be no different than CSC selling fully assembled TT250's for $2300
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 03-10-2017, 04:15 PM   #3

I'm sure he'd do just fine. If I had a REAL dealer with a service and parts department down the street, I'd support it for the cost. All he has to do is get someone to ride one and it will sell. Lack of after sales support and parts is the price we pay for a 1200.00 bike, delivered.

CSC sells the TT250 at their price for two reasons (besides the added bling and Zong motor). A large brick and mortar facility with full service staff and parts department, and CARB approval. It's not cheap to get bikes to sell here.

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 03-10-2017, 04:43 PM   #4

I think it would have a great chance of making it. The fact that you have to assemble your own bike (something most of us love) probably intimidates a lot of people to the point they opt out of purchasing one. This way they still get a bike for 1/2 the cost of any other Japanese brand. And you know how good word-of-mouth is for sales. Once the the word gets out, the skies the limit.

Old 03-10-2017, 05:00 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by pistolclass View Post
Do you think a fully properly assembled Enforcer from a brick and mortar with true dealer backing can sell for $1699? My nephew is a Tao tao dealer at his pawn shop but I think he can make some money and have some happy customers with the enforcer.

Once you get into selling vehicles that can be registered the red tape and cost go up so there has to be some $$ in it for him.
If he knows what he is doing, and properly PDIs the bikes (vs. a guy 'in the back' assembling them--I mean he or the 'guy' KNOW what they are doing), he could add assembly and even freight to the deal, like you see with some brands (i.e. SSR).

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 03-10-2017, 09:19 PM   #6

I might front him the 5-10 bikes. He's a single Dad. His babies momma likes to party more then being a mommy so she split. I was thinking if I buy 10 bikes one bike can be a demonstrator bike that folks can hop on and see that Chinese bikes don't disintegrate as soon as they start up. He has a part time guy who assembles all the quads and go karts. He is very meticulous.

Old 03-10-2017, 09:29 PM   #7

Exclamation

Quote:
I might front him the 5-10 bikes. He's a single Dad. His babies momma likes to party more then being a mommy so she split. I was thinking if I buy 10 bikes one bike can be a demonstrator bike that folks can hop on and see that Chinese bikes don't disintegrate as soon as they start up. He has a part time guy who assembles all the quads and go karts. He is very meticulous.

Test bike idea is sound . I test rode the owner of a dealership's hawk and ordered one the second I got back in the door . I think they will be selling more Chinese bikes all around in the near future . I would. Have given a few hundred to have it assembled , no doubt . . Even more so if I was able to take one home the same day.
Go for it .

Old 03-10-2017, 11:48 PM   #8

Quote:

I want to see you put in an off road vehicle park at that new chunk of land you bought . Just kidding
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~Benjamin Franklin~

Old 03-11-2017, 12:47 AM   #9

Quote:

That's an awesome thing to do for someone ,and at worst if it doesn't work you should be able to just keep the bikes yourself or sell them yourself .

Old 03-11-2017, 01:01 AM   #10

I consulted Adam about this. Then I went and made the necessary inquires about selling these bikes. I had to have a retail license, dealer license from the DMV with a $50,000 bond, at least an LLC business license, and $1 million in liability insurance. To top it all off, in my county, a dealership of any vehicles has to have it's own lot and building separate from the maintenance shop. I have a small shop already. I did the math. If I wanted to break even in five years, I'd have to sell five Hawks a week at $5000. I have often wondered why there are no CB dealers in my area. I know why. To costly to start up. There are to many unknowns for a dealership to sell them when they have a proven product that they know will sell.

One fellow in my area sells scooters. They are all 90cc and under. The 90cc and under scoots don't have to be title, tagged, or registered in SC. Therefore they can be sold retail under a retail license. I talked to him about this because I tried to get him to order me a Hawk back last year when my CB interest was rekindled.

Old 03-11-2017, 05:34 AM   #11

Ben, have you thought about looking out of state, or maybe applying for waivers for some of the more onerous requirements as a small startup dealer? One thing I wouldn't skip on is the insurance. Especially if you're going to have a demo bike. Thanks to the fine contributions of lawyers to our society, someone is going to wreck the demo bike and then find a way to make it your fault... I would talk to PistolClass and see if it made sense to start out with the ten bikes and fly under the radar to see how they go. Maybe provide a lot of support for the tag and title process instead of actually doing it for the customer. The model you put forth is something that would scale very well if it works, or would be easy to shut down with very little loss of investment capital if it went screwy. Just my (unsolicited) musings.

I was struggling to get my wife's attention; I sat down on the couch and looked comfortable. That did the trick!

My wife says I only have two faults. I don't listen and something else...

If at first you don't succeed, try doing it the way I told you to...

The Stable:
2005 Yamaha V-Star 650 - SOLD
2015 Suzuki DR 650
2015 RPS Hawk 250 - SOLD
2016 Ural Gear Up

Old 03-11-2017, 10:05 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerikol View Post
Ben, have you thought about looking out of state, or maybe applying for waivers for some of the more onerous requirements as a small startup dealer? One thing I wouldn't skip on is the insurance. Especially if you're going to have a demo bike. Thanks to the fine contributions of lawyers to our society, someone is going to wreck the demo bike and then find a way to make it your fault... I would talk to PistolClass and see if it made sense to start out with the ten bikes and fly under the radar to see how they go. Maybe provide a lot of support for the tag and title process instead of actually doing it for the customer. The model you put forth is something that would scale very well if it works, or would be easy to shut down with very little loss of investment capital if it went screwy. Just my (unsolicited) musings.
There's no way around the legalities to be a true dealer. However, you mention some possibilities. Where I am, it would be hard to pull it off while owning a small shop. I'm constantly being visited by code enforcement because I have so many bikes sitting outside when my door is open. They go inside when I'm not working. I'm sure it's people around me thinking I'm a junk yard, or some such nonsense. I could buy bikes, reg them in my name, and resell them. I'm not sure if I would make enough profit to make it worth it.

Old 03-11-2017, 10:47 AM   #13

Pistolclass, have you or your nephew thought about the other Bashan bikes, such as the Brozz? The Shark seems too close to the Enforcer, but it is offered at Powersportsmax for $1279 (not including shipping--shipped is $1560, so only $60 more than the Enforcer retail), so my guess its wholesale might be low enough to consider carrying. Not trying to change business plans for you, but add to the mix. I know the Hawk was a true 'kit' in the box which is what made it attractive for many people, but I also see why the Bashan's version is better for you--it looks just like the 'HOT' selling Hawk, but less things to do it out of the box, if any (carb, sprockets), as well as registration.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 03-11-2017, 06:12 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBike View Post
I want to see you put in an off road vehicle park at that new chunk of land you bought . Just kidding
Totally, and a range too.

Old 03-11-2017, 06:20 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by culcune View Post
Pistolclass, have you or your nephew thought about the other Bashan bikes, such as the Brozz? The Shark seems too close to the Enforcer, but it is offered at Powersportsmax for $1279 (not including shipping--shipped is $1560, so only $60 more than the Enforcer retail), so my guess its wholesale might be low enough to consider carrying. Not trying to change business plans for you, but add to the mix. I know the Hawk was a true 'kit' in the box which is what made it attractive for many people, but I also see why the Bashan's version is better for you--it looks just like the 'HOT' selling Hawk, but less things to do it out of the box, if any (carb, sprockets), as well as registration.
Yeah it is just my nephews business. I'm an accountant that specializes in SEC and regulatory filings. I was looking to have him first try a single line through APSCusa. That way we don't have to worry about the MCO thing. If we were to sell a motorcycle to be registered there are a ton of hoops we have to just through. Before my nephew incurs those expenses I want to make sure there is a market for these here in CT. I'm a dip my toes in the pool as opposed to a jump in head first kind of guy.