Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-13-2016, 06:59 PM   #1

Hard Starting

Recently my bike is having a hard time starting, and will not turn over the first or even the second time I try. I turn off my running lights, and let the bike computer have enough time to cycle through the diagnostics ( I wait for the bike to be quiet) then I turn the key.

The bike tries to start but then stops. I go through this routine two and sometimes three times before it starts. When it does fire up it sound weak, like it's barely running. I give it a little time to warm up then turn the throttle, and it revs freely.

Today, I had a hard time starting the bike after stopping for about 45 mins.

When I got home I put the bike on a battery tender charger.

I have always ridden my bike often enough that charging the battery was never necessary.

How do I test if my battery is bad, and needs replacement, or is something else the problem.

Your comments and suggestions are welcome.

Thanks

Dave

PS my bike has 4800+ Smiles on her

Old 03-13-2016, 07:18 PM   #2

You'll need a Multimeter (can be had cheap) the bike should have 12.5-12.9 off and about 14v running. Set it to 20v (in the amazon picture) and touch the neg/pos leads to the same on battery.

If you getting low voltage while running it's either the stator (alternator) or the regulator/rectifier.

http://www.amazon.com/Etekcity-MSR-R...7911042&sr=1-1

Old 03-13-2016, 07:27 PM   #3

Definitely sounds like a bad battery or maybe needs a valve adjustment. Multimeter is the first stop though as Lee stated.

Old 03-13-2016, 07:47 PM   #4

I agree with the others. If you haven't done so, you are definitely due for a valve adjustment. Also check the battery; it has failed for many RX3 bikes.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 03-13-2016, 08:04 PM   #5

My battery tender shows that the battery is charged. It starts up immediately.

My multimeter is no working. i will get a new one tomorrow.

The issue is will the battery hold a charge? If I go for a ride for a hour or more it seems fine, but If I don't ride the bike for two or more days it is hard starting.

Will the multimeter tell me if the battery is holding a charge? I don't think so...

The valves were adjusted about 800 miles ago and the bike sounds and feels great, when it's running.

Old 03-13-2016, 08:37 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave92029 View Post

The issue is will the battery hold a charge? If I go for a ride for a hour or more it seems fine, but If I don't ride the bike for two or more days it is hard starting.

Will the multimeter tell me if the battery is holding a charge? I don't think so...

The valves were adjusted about 800 miles ago and the bike sounds and feels great, when it's running.
You could use a battery load tester.

In lieu of that, connect the multimeter and set to dc voltage.

Turn on your key, don't start the bike. Also turn on your auxiliary lights.

Your headlight and aux lights will serve as your "load".

Leave the lights on for 30 seconds or longer.

Turn the key and aux lights off, and watch the meter.

A good battery should recover to nearly the voltage it had before the test.

Should it be a defective battery, I hope you are treated better than FLorange.

jb

Old 03-13-2016, 08:42 PM   #7

Quote:

JB gave you excellent advice. Here is another test. Unhook your battery tender. If the battery voltage drops after several days, the battery is defective.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 03-13-2016, 10:57 PM   #8

Valve adjustment. If you put a new battery on, and it still has hard morning starts... it's the valves.

Old 03-14-2016, 04:22 PM   #9

I have had the same problem
But now it is OK
Have a look here
http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=15787

Old 03-15-2016, 09:48 PM   #10

Tuesday Update.

Charged the battery on Sunday evening. Tuesday, it wasn't too strong. Put it back on the battery tender and it took over an hour to charge the battery.

I believe the battery is due for replacement.

I contacted Ryan who told me: "The battery is a consumable (like the chain, brake pads, sprockets) and comes with a 6 month warranty"

He offered me a decent discount off CSC's upgraded battery.

Does anyone know who makes CSC "Upgraded Battery"?

We have American Battery, large battery distributor located in town. I contacted them, and they told me that they have only been selling Power- Sonic sealed batteries for the last 18 years.

I found a Power Sonic for sale on Jet.com (with new customer discount) for a little less than CSC after their discount.

What batteries you you guys have experience with and do you recommend?

Old 03-15-2016, 10:45 PM   #11

Put the multimeter on it and watch it while you try to start the bike. If the volts drop below 10v while starting it is the battery. Mine has been doing it since I got the bike and I only have 800 miles on it. I got the consumable email also but was not told what my discount would be for my defective battery. Just get an AGM battery this time and you should be fine.
Will
'15 Mustard

Old 03-15-2016, 10:52 PM   #12

Looks like the battery is a Slasher. Doesn't look too "upgraded" to me.

http://www.chaparral-racing.com/prod...lv01-310m.aspx

Sold by Chaparral also.

Will
'15 Mustard

Old 03-16-2016, 08:26 AM   #13

Quote:
I contacted Ryan who told me: "The battery is a consumable (like the chain, brake pads, sprockets) and comes with a 6 month warranty"
Catching up on some threads that I missed while being off the board and I see this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by detours View Post
I talked with Gerry about my battery issue a week or two ago and he offered me a replacement stock battery under warranty or a discount on a higher quality AGM battery, but I decided to get a lithium ion.
So I guess it's who you talk to at CSC to get the awesome customer service. Only some of us have a consumable 6 month warranty. We need to be talking to Gerry from now on and not Ryan.

Will
'15 Mustard

Old 03-16-2016, 01:12 PM   #14

Quote:
This is the first mention of a 6 month warranty, on the website, or anywhere else that I have seen.

I hope CSC is not making this up as they go.

Even a "wear" item should be covered if it is defective.

From Joe Burk's book, "5000 Miles At 8,000 RPM":

"The first shipment of motorcycles we received from Zongshen had cheap batteries."

Five documented battery failures at the time of the book's publishing. More since.

I have asked for a written copy of the Terms and Conditions of the RX3 warranty.

My contacts and dealings with CSC has indeed been exceptionally good.

It would be helpful to current and future RX3 buyers to know exactly what is, and isn't covered in the warranty.

jb

Old 03-16-2016, 02:55 PM   #15

My theology is simple in that going into buying my RX3 last year for the price I didn't expect it to be a KTM or Ducati and figured I would take it for what it was and accept any of it's unforeseen short comings. If CSC went out of business or didn't honor the warranty I figured this was one of the gambles in life I was willing to take. Their still in business and have honored my one time warrantee problem. I've met Ryan but not Gerry. Ryan has always treated me superbly in person and on the phone in his customer service and I'm sure Gerry would also. I'm still using the original battery and the bike has made me very happy to own it. So I cut CSC some slack on the little things. If they can help swell, if not I understand and get on with enjoying my RX3. Too much other drama in life to worry about the little stuff I always say, rj