Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-17-2016, 05:02 PM   #1

Valves - Just doesn't seem right

I'm doing my valves for the third time in 3 days.

The first time I confused metric with inches

Second time I very carefully adjusted all valves to .06mm lash. I checked and rechecked each valve before and after tightening, until the after tightening resulted in .06mm gap on all four valves. Started the bike up and it sounded terrible, like the valves were way too loose.

Third time I being even more careful. Here are pictures from the intake (under fuel tank - yes, my full pump bolts were loose and I hand tightened them).

The right valve looks right but the left screw needs to be too loose to result in .06mm.

I expect that both screws should be about the same height when I have both valves adjusted properly. Is this correct?

Suggestions?

PS The more I do this the faster the process becomes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DCM71228.jpg (74.6 KB, 1891 views)
File Type: jpg DCM71232.jpg (80.4 KB, 1780 views)

Old 01-17-2016, 06:03 PM   #2

Something does look amiss. All tappet screws should be about the same length when adjusted to the same valve lash.

It isn't difficult to adjust the valves on the exhaust stroke, instead of the compression stroke. If the valves sound slappy, I suggest you remove the cam sprocket inspection plugs, and verify the piston is at TDC on the compression stroke. Then recheck the valve lash.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 01-17-2016, 06:05 PM   #3

Indeed, adjusting the valve lash gets easier, and faster, every time you do it. Nevertheless, I still budget about 2.5 leisurely hours for a valve adjustment on my RX3.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 01-17-2016, 06:20 PM   #4

Thank you Spud, I'll try that tomorrow.

I'm getting tired and I want to do this right.

Does the valve rocker on the left side look like it is off center, not directly over valve head? What would cause that?

Old 01-17-2016, 06:24 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpudRider View Post
Indeed, adjusting the valve lash gets easier, and faster, every time you do it. Nevertheless, I still budget about 2.5 leisurely hours for a valve adjustment on my RX3.
I actually budget a bit more time as I need to stretch and mentally prepare myself for the exhaust valves. That extra time consists of a bio-break, stretching, and an adult beverage.

Spud offers great advice: check the cam sprocket timing marks to ensure you're on the correct stroke. I fully admit that I was confused as well when I fired up my bike and it sounded like I left ball bearings in the combustion chamber. I did the valve job three times before I got it "right." Instead of checking the cam marks as Spud suggested, I actually rotated the crank until I visually saw that the valves had no motion and load on the rocker arm. Then I adjusted the valves. That cured my problem. But Spud's method will ensure you're on TDC.

And the silver lining... as Spud suggested, you WILL be faster each time you do this job. I can get in and out of the exhaust valves pretty efficiently now and save the adult beverage for the end of the adjustment.

Old 01-17-2016, 06:29 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave92029 View Post

Does the valve rocker on the left side look like it is off center, not directly over valve head? What would cause that?
Dave, I know you're asking Spud, so hopefully my advice doesn't lead you down the wrong path. (I stayed at a Holiday Inn express, so you mileage may vary with this reply)

The rocker arm is one piece and actuates both valves. With the proper lash, it has some play/movement. It looks like you've tightened the left valve (as you sit on the bike) a bit more than the right, and the rocker arm may be a bit askew as that valve is probably under compression.

My guess, if you were to reach in there with your and and try to wiggle the rocker arm, you won't get any movement. If that's the case, if you back off the lash on both valves, you will get that movement back and the rocker arm should re-center itself.

Old 01-17-2016, 09:46 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtking View Post
Dave, I know you're asking Spud, so hopefully my advice doesn't lead you down the wrong path. (I stayed at a Holiday Inn express, so you mileage may vary with this reply)

The rocker arm is one piece and actuates both valves. With the proper lash, it has some play/movement. It looks like you've tightened the left valve (as you sit on the bike) a bit more than the right, and the rocker arm may be a bit askew as that valve is probably under compression.

My guess, if you were to reach in there with your and and try to wiggle the rocker arm, you won't get any movement. If that's the case, if you back off the lash on both valves, you will get that movement back and the rocker arm should re-center itself.
My Moto Guzzi Stelvio has four valves per cylinder and rocker arms that actuate both exhaust or both intake valves.
It is recommended that you use two feeler gages, one on each valve, while adjusting the exhaust (or intake) valves. This reduces the chance of error that one gage would put an uneven load or displacement into the mechanism.

Old 01-18-2016, 01:00 AM   #8

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtking View Post
...The rocker arm is one piece and actuates both valves. With the proper lash, it has some play/movement. It looks like you've tightened the left valve (as you sit on the bike) a bit more than the right, and the rocker arm may be a bit askew as that valve is probably under compression.

I agree with RT.

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 01-18-2016, 01:11 PM   #9

Thanks

I appreciate the assistance and advice.

I'm at McD's having my morning senior coffee getting ready to go home and finish adjusting my valves.

Thanks
Dave

Old 01-18-2016, 02:10 PM   #10

dave92029, How can you guys drink that stuff? I tried it and about imploded!!!!!! unless I add copious amount of cream and sugar and hold my nose and get a tetanus shot afterwards rj

Old 01-21-2016, 12:44 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjmorel View Post
dave92029, How can you guys drink that stuff? I tried it and about imploded!!!!!! unless I add copious amount of cream and sugar and hold my nose and get a tetanus shot afterwards rj
When you become a "really old guy" and can get a sausage McMuffin and a Senior Coffee for $1.08, including 8% California sales tax, at that price it tastes very good to me.

Back when I was a Young Man I rode the Iron Butt's 48 States Plus Alaska ride, and stopped at many McD's along the way to get my computer date stamped receipt, to verify that I stopped in every state.

I've been drinking McD's coffee for a long time, and prefer it to Starbucks, which is too strong for my tastes.

Old 01-21-2016, 02:12 PM   #12

Quote:
When you become a "really old guy" and can get a sausage McMuffin and a Senior Coffee for $1.08, including 8% California sales tax, at that price it tastes very good to me...
Amen!

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 01-21-2016, 03:49 PM   #13

Thumbs Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpudRider View Post
Something does look amiss. All tappet screws should be about the same length when adjusted to the same valve lash.

It isn't difficult to adjust the valves on the exhaust stroke, instead of the compression stroke. If the valves sound slappy, I suggest you remove the cam sprocket inspection plugs, and verify the piston is at TDC on the compression stroke. Then recheck the valve lash.

Spud,
I finally got around to finishing my valves. Your suggestion about the Cam Sprocket Inspection Plugs made the job much easier, and even more important more accurate. Thank you again for your excellent suggestion.

Old 01-21-2016, 03:58 PM   #14

You're welcome, Dave. I'm glad you got the job completed.

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 01-21-2016, 10:52 PM   #15

Good work Dave!

Spud that was an excellent piece of knowledge for the valve check and it removes the possibility of trying to adjust on the exhaust stroke.

I was taught to use a straw in the spark plug hole to find TDC when it cycled to TDC a quick check for slack in the rocker arms confirmed it. Those timing marks are a better technique and would probably be a good addition to the service manual.