Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-23-2018, 04:18 PM   #301

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huck369 View Post
Finally got around to getting my kit installed, what is the actual CC's with the kit added, I recall seeing it somewhere, but can't find it now....
I know it's not 300cc's, but can't remember what it actually was....
How many actual hours did it take you to install etc?

Old 08-24-2018, 08:22 PM   #302

I found this workshop manual quite helpful doing the 300 kit. Much more trouble getting too the engine than doing the 300 kit. Well worth the time and money.

EDIT: Probably could have done the 300 kit in a couple hours if I didn't have to go track down tools my thankfully EX-son-in-law refused to return. I also did a few other mods while doing the 300 kit while waiting for my son to bring more Loctite, like 19-inch front wheel, CSC's front brake upgrade, and new rear tire. Note the online manual and CSC specify medium strength in some places and extra strength in others. Be careful.

Old 08-25-2018, 12:26 AM   #303

Quote:
Originally Posted by sqwert View Post
I found this workshop manual quite helpful doing the 300 kit. Much more trouble getting too the engine than doing the 300 kit. Well worth the time and money.
Thank you for sharing the workshop manual. Really helpful.

Old 08-26-2018, 10:26 PM   #304

There is an APJ bike manual that's really good - I think Spud had it listed in a thread

Old 08-31-2018, 10:07 AM   #305

Quote:
Originally Posted by NzBrakelathes View Post
How many actual hours did it take you to install etc?
I spread it out over a few days, probably about 8 hours overall....but I was just tinkering with it, not going all out on it..
Got a couple hundred miles on it, definitely pulls better down low, still breaking it in, so can't really say about the top end, but it will definitely pull a hill better...
2016 AJP PR4
2022 Templar X 250
2021 Sondors Metacycle
AMA Life Member

Old 08-31-2018, 01:24 PM   #306

Attachment 14084
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huck369 View Post
I spread it out over a few days, probably about 8 hours overall....but I was just tinkering with it, not going all out on it..
Got a couple hundred miles on it, definitely pulls better down low, still breaking it in, so can't really say about the top end, but it will definitely pull a hill better...
Sounds about right
I’d estimate something like 8 hours start to finish etc
Be sure to really clean the throttle body check correct closing of butterfly and remove the stepper motor and clean with cotton wool in the passages etc

The stepper motor is the idle air circuit, so in basic terms a mini throttle to allow the bike to idle and some progression to the main throttle butterfly area
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Stepper.jpg (17.4 KB, 360 views)

Last edited by NzBrakelathes; 09-05-2018 at 06:29 AM.

Old 09-03-2018, 11:19 AM   #307

Quote:
Originally Posted by NzBrakelathes View Post
Sounds about right
I’d estimate something like 8 hours start to finish etc
Be sure to really clean the throttle body check correct closing of butterfly and remove the steppercmitur abd clean with cotton wool in the passages etc
I didn't do any of that extra stuff. Don't even know what you are talking about. Just did a top end, adjusted valves, and zAAAzOOOOm! +What is a steppercmitur, anyway? Rolled over 11,000 miles on the bike, 3000+ miles on the 300 kit so it is all broken in. Running on Mobil 1 4t Racing. The EFI adjusted itself to the 300 kit just fine. 46 tooth wheel sprocket and 19-inch front wheel installed at the same time so make adjustments since 300 kit numbers are with those upgrades, 250 numbers are without.

Performancewise, maintains 74-79mph on rolling hills up to 5% grades. Used to vary 68-81mph on the same hills. Increased power off idle and midrange--as long as the chain is tight enough to avoid final drive slop, 300 kit pulls smooth from 15mph to 79mph without a miss. So, on back roads, normally run 25 to 55mph and just leave it in 6th.

Fuel efficiency used to be mid 60mpg using the 250 settings (18-inch wheel, 14/44 final drive}. With the 300 kit fuel efficiency calculates low 50mpg, but keep in mind the taller front tire slows the odometer. I have no idea how much of the lower figure is due to the wheel change, how much is due to the gearing change, or how much is due to the 300 kit. Considering how much better the bike runs, rides, handles, and stops, I don't really care. Best I can figure, the front tire is now 4% taller than before, which is only 1/3 the efficiency loss. I expect the rest is the lower final drive and riding significantly faster than before since the bike pulls that much better up the hills.

Anywho, Roxy is much more comfortable to ride on the back roads than before. There are only 2 more issues I need to fix: The trans is more suitable for a crotch rocket than an adventure or small displacement tourer. 1st is way too high to idle around a parking lot or U-turn on a back road. I am used to a feet up 180 in a single parking space, Roxy's speed requires 2 1/2 slots for the same maneuver. Slow her down and even the 300 won't pull first gear in a tight corner, stalls, and down she goes. Annoying, since I go places requiring such sharp turns, and Roxy is WAY too heavy for powersliding and such, and her fashion statement seat and rear fender styling is not conducive to body English.

2nd thing needing fixing is the stock headlight sucks compared to my aftermarket set up with 2 LED 4x6 with DOT on the lenses. Court next week. I'll be sure to misuse the high beams when I see the cop on the road in his private vehicle.

By the way, had cash transferred to checking and rode Roxy over to Kawasaki in Dyersburg to buy a new Z900RS since the only complaint reviewers could find was there was nothing to complain about. Got to thinking I don't really need a 950+ that goes 140+, bought a visor to upgrade my windscreen mod, then rode Roxy home. The 300 kit is that much an improvement.

Old 09-03-2018, 11:56 AM   #308

I agree that the gearbox is too tight. Playing with the front or rear sprocket only shift that tightness up or down; a lower 1st, or a taller 5th/6th would be great. But that's sort of a "nonfixable" issue to me. I'm back to (kinda *) stock gearing 14/44, and limit my cruise speed to 110km/h (about 70mh?) comes winds, steep road or whatever.
The lightning issue I fixed with a HID proyector lens inside the headlight. I guess there's a legallity issue with this in USA, but the improvement over any other light source is huge, and if properly adjusted I don't see why it wouldn't met DOT standars or whatever. Low beam top cut is sharp, so no oncoming driver blinding, and light intensity and pattern spread are what it should have always be.

* "kinda" because I'm using a 120/90/17 rear tire and that's a little bit taller than the original 130/70/17.

Old 09-04-2018, 01:12 AM   #309

DOT regs describe pattern of light emission (shape of beam) and Tennessee is one of the states that has outlawed "blue" headlights. That's one of the ways law enforcement identifies undesirable headlights. These days there are white HIDs so might get me a 55 watt for the stock headlight, then use my LEDs for auxiliary lights.

Old 09-04-2018, 09:22 AM   #310

I'm using a 5000K bulb now and it's pure white, I don't like bluish or purple HID as they have less lumens. I couldn't get a 4300K but that would be ideal, warm white.

Old 09-06-2018, 01:36 AM   #311

Few new parts arrived including the stepper motor - see how that works out tomorrow!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Keys.jpg (76.3 KB, 356 views)

Old 09-09-2018, 03:45 PM   #312

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juanro View Post
I'm using a 5000K bulb now and it's pure white, I don't like bluish or purple HID as they have less lumens. I couldn't get a 4300K but that would be ideal, warm white.
Just ordered this. Maybe the 4300k will not look so out of place enough to attract the enemy troops' attention. Comes with certificates advocating DOT compliance so at least I can show good intent to a judge. Hope it has a nice flat low beam pattern.

Old 09-25-2018, 10:16 AM   #313

Anyone or 2 people looking for a kit? I will be in the USA Saturday night - I sold a couple kits this week n 2 more coming and I have no issue dragging them States side n USPS-ing them while I am on the North American continent

Old 10-07-2018, 08:36 PM   #314

Get the 300cc kits while the getting is good! Roxy has a totally different attitude with hers. When first installed not much difference from stock except lower rpm, wider powerband. That alone is worthwhile. Once broken in significantly more torque idle on up, lots less shifting. Slightly lower horsepower and torque rpm peaks, but more horsepower and torque at those lower peaks.

Old 11-29-2018, 01:08 AM   #315

So I'm finally getting around to installing the 300 kit bought several months back. Question I have is can it be installed with motor in frame? Do you have to loosen engine mounting bolts and tip it down to get top end off? They really had to cram stuff in there to get all the technology to work.
I miss my Hodaka.
Also I did a compression test on it cold after sitting for a week with throttle help wide open. Only got 100psi out of it . I think it should be closer to 125-135 to run good. Mine has always ran good but didn't seem to have the power of other RX3s on the trips when I've rode with them.
thanks rj