Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-01-2014, 09:07 PM   #1

Front disc brakes?

Are there any front disc brake kits available for these chinese quads? i have a 200cc and a 125cc that i would like to convert. my son can barely even stop the bike using the hand lever front brake. the drums are very inefficient

Old 12-01-2014, 10:52 PM   #2

Not that I've come across. While the front drums are inefficient, they can be optimized. Aside from the usual cleaning of the drums and lightly sanding of the shoes to remove glaze, you can also lube the cables. It made a huge difference on my quads. My daughter was able to use the front brakes after that.

I use a cable luber and Maxima Chain Wax for the cables. As you would guess, I also use it on the chain, since it doesn't tend to fling off like conventional chain lube.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 12-01-2014, 11:08 PM   #3

thank you. i will try doing this and see if it helps my son out. i will also work on locating parts for a disc swap in the future

Old 12-01-2014, 11:16 PM   #4

just ordered this tool

http://www.ebay.com/itm/181597270443

Old 12-01-2014, 11:20 PM   #5

That's the best kind, IMHO. The other version has only one thumb screw.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 12-02-2014, 10:15 AM   #6

Are his hands big enough to reach around the levers? I know that the Chinese don't necessarily design levers for kids hands. It may be that you need some different levers to bring them close to the grips.

Old 12-02-2014, 11:35 AM   #7

Good thinking. I've seen China version of Roll-a-click levers that might meet your Son's needs.

Old 12-03-2014, 11:20 AM   #8

That is definitely a huge contributor to the problem. If the level was child sized I think it would be much easier for him. I'll have to start looking around

Old 12-03-2014, 12:31 PM   #9

Perhaps this would work for your Son: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dirt-Bike-Sc...abb63d&vxp=mtr

You could use a clutch lever for the brake; it shouldn't matter that it's upside down.

Old 12-03-2014, 01:34 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind View Post
Good thinking. I've seen China version of Roll-a-click levers that might meet your Son's needs.
having a roll a click front brake lever from china, I do NOT reccomend them.... ths tab that sits in the barrel to make the lever adjust is VERY weak.... I have had 2 of them break within the first day of use... I gave up and just run it the shortest pull....

Old 12-03-2014, 05:47 PM   #11

I think i will buy one of these. for only $7 shipped its worth the risk... ill post my findings

Old 12-03-2014, 10:51 PM   #12

Yeah, the link I shared is not a Roll-a-click copy, so it might be stronger. Besides, with little hands pulling it, it could last a long time.

Old 12-04-2014, 12:03 PM   #13

ahhh yes... that will hold up fine.... show why I should look at the listing before commenting...LOL I actually have that style for my clutch.... absolutely love it..... mines a shkrty, that while makes the clutch pull a bit harder, makes for a nice crisp "stunt" or two finger clutch lever...