Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-09-2014, 10:38 AM   #1

chain coming off

I seem to have an issue with chain coming off whenever it feels like it. I adjusted the rear end to the point where it looks like the sprockets are lined up but it seems to come off again. I think the rear end keeps moving forward but don't know why this would happen.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Old 09-09-2014, 11:00 AM   #2

Gordon, what type of rear axle adjustment does your quad have? Can you show us a pic?

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 09-09-2014, 02:45 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind View Post
Gordon, what type of rear axle adjustment does your quad have? Can you show us a pic?
This is actually jiggypiggy's picture but mine is exactly the same adjustments as that one. I adjusted the chain side a little tighter today but am afraid of getting it to tight and breaking chain or sprocket. I have approximately 3/4" slack in the chain now.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg emme.jpg (92.3 KB, 4439 views)

Old 09-09-2014, 03:41 PM   #4

I had this same problem and it was my axle bearings wore out and let the rear end move side to side which would cause the chain to come off.

Old 09-09-2014, 10:58 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfincher86 View Post
I had this same problem and it was my axle bearings wore out and let the rear end move side to side which would cause the chain to come off.
That's an excellent point. Place a jackstand underneath the frame ahead of the swingarm, and then remove the rear shock and chain. If you can move the swingarm side to side a little, try tightening the swingarm bolt. If it moves a lot, you might need new bushings. My Beast happens to use a bushing that is identical to a Yamaha PW80 bushing, and they only cost around $8.00 each (there are two in my quad).

Then place a jack under the rear axle, and lift it until the center of the rear sprocket, the swingarm bolt and the center of the front sprocket are all in line. When the swingarm is lifted to that height, the chain will be at its tightest. Any point lower than that will be looser. Tighten the chain so that it is just taut, with perhaps a couple of mm slack, and the chain will be at the optimal tightness when you reconnect the shock and chain and put it back on the ground. Then, check the chain again at ride height and understand how much slack there is. That will be your guideline, so you don't have to repeat the exercise next time.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 09-09-2014, 11:07 PM   #6

swingarm bushings

if you can not get the bushings... you can go to a place that carrys that hard plastic tubing (

Old 09-09-2014, 11:10 PM   #7

swingarm bushings

if you can not get the bushings... you can go to a place that carrys that hard plastic tubing ( I forget what it is called )... but it is very hard to wear out... like puck board... you need 3/4 inch tube.. about $10.00 a foot.... and for the swing arm after you tighten the chain with the tires on the ground... measure the distance from the front left rim to the rear left rim.... and then check the other side make the distance with in 1/4 on an inch... so your rear axle is square to the front.. and your rear sprocket is inline with the motor.... have about 1/2 deflection in total( up & down play )..... this is the true way to adjust the chain...

Old 09-09-2014, 11:25 PM   #8

I had the same problem with my wifes Tao Tao. With hers it was the swing arm bushings. They are metal/rubber/metal and are really not the right bushing for that application. The rubber breaks out quickly with the side to side motion. I replaced them twice and then gave up and had my friend mill some out of brass. No Problems since.

Old 09-09-2014, 11:31 PM   #9

My buddy spun some on his lathe out of UHMW for Midlife. Check it out: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=10976

Old 09-10-2014, 07:07 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind View Post
That's an excellent point. Place a jackstand underneath the frame ahead of the swingarm, and then remove the rear shock and chain. If you can move the swingarm side to side a little, try tightening the swingarm bolt. If it moves a lot, you might need new bushings. My Beast happens to use a bushing that is identical to a Yamaha PW80 bushing, and they only cost around $8.00 each (there are two in my quad).

Then place a jack under the rear axle, and lift it until the center of the rear sprocket, the swingarm bolt and the center of the front sprocket are all in line. When the swingarm is lifted to that height, the chain will be at its tightest. Any point lower than that will be looser. Tighten the chain so that it is just taut, with perhaps a couple of mm slack, and the chain will be at the optimal tightness when you reconnect the shock and chain and put it back on the ground. Then, check the chain again at ride height and understand how much slack there is. That will be your guideline, so you don't have to repeat the exercise next time.
I will do this today. If i need them by the sounds of it I will have to make my own to get a decent bushing.

Thanks for all the info everyone.

Old 09-10-2014, 10:18 AM   #11

If your bushings are wasted, measure them as carefully as you can before pounding them out.

Old 09-11-2014, 08:29 AM   #12

checked bushings as suggested and seems they are ok. It seems as though i was just to worried about adjusting it to tight and had it out of alignment. I followed what was suggested for making sure the rear axle was aligned. So far have not had the come off again.

Thanks for all the help!

Old 09-12-2014, 11:03 AM   #13

Taotao bushings

I have not had anyone come to buy the swingarm bushings for a TAOTAO atv.. the GIO atv I sell all the time... and now for any GIO atvs... that I sell ( used ones )... I use the plastic that WELDGRIND mentioned... that is about the last time that they will need replacing.. I just cut off 3/4 inch tube and drill a hole in them for the bolt.. and push them in.. good repair... also for the GIO ball joints that are on the older 50-110

Old 09-12-2014, 11:05 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLASHLIGHTBOY View Post
I have not had anyone come to buy the swingarm bushings for a TAOTAO atv.. the GIO atv I sell all the time... and now for any GIO atvs... that I sell ( used ones )... I use the plastic that WELDGRIND mentioned... that is about the last time that they will need replacing.. I just cut off 3/4 inch tube and drill a hole in them for the bolt.. and push them in.. good repair... also for the GIO ball joints that are on the older 50-110
We had to trim ours with a lathe. What size of UHMW rod are you using?

Old 10-25-2014, 08:42 AM   #15

ok seems it worked for a bit but obviously there are issues with the bushings as it is coming off again. Where can I buy this bushing material. What size was being used that was cut to 3/4" and drilled.

Love my atv just need to get this issue resolved.