Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Pure Dirt
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-28-2015, 11:55 PM   #1

Head Scratching 2004 Flywing making clinking noise?

I just put a new chain on after fixing the problem in this thread. http://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=14583
I also just changed the oil and whoever had it last had filled it way to much. If its idling it doesn't make the noise or it's too quiet to notice but if I rev it a clinking noise comes out of the right side of the transmission. The dipstick said one quart so thats what I put in. However there was about 1.5 in there. Should I put more in there or am I just being over paranoid? Any help is appreciated.

Old 04-29-2015, 11:18 AM   #2

Does your engine have a sight glass? If so, trust that, not the dipstick. A quart is about right, but check to be sure. Did you clean the strainer?

Drain the oil back out and remove the clutch cover. It's a good idea to figure out what's causing the noise.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 04-29-2015, 11:53 AM   #3

Yes it has a sight glass. I haven't cleaned any strainers or filters or anything for lack of being able to find any. I haven't opened a transmission yet so if I do that is a bunch of stuff gonna go flying everywhere? Thanks for the suggestion.

Old 04-29-2015, 02:32 PM   #4

There is a large nut on the left side of the engine, near the shifter. Behind that is a strainer and a spring. Take the time to remove the strainer and clean it. If you need to blast it clean, WD-40 is suitable.

There is no drama with removing the clutch cover, although you might need a new gasket.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 04-29-2015, 03:27 PM   #5

You think that the strainer could be causing those sounds?

Old 04-29-2015, 08:01 PM   #6

I feel really stupid now. I drained the oil and cleaned that strainer like you suggested but before I took off the clutch cover I notice one of the heat shields on my exhaust was a little loose. That was all that was making the noise along with the exhaust itself being kinda loose. Well at least I learned where my strainer was in the process. Thanks for your help!

Old 04-29-2015, 11:50 PM   #7

You're welcome.

I can see where I switched topics on you. No, I wasn't saying that the strainer had anything to do with the noise. I was only recommending that you clean it.

Glad you found the noise. That's a relief.

Old 04-30-2015, 07:21 PM   #8

Haha, Thanks! Good to know where that was at anyway I guess.