Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-20-2023, 10:13 PM   #1

Tao Tao 125 starting issues

Pulled out my son's atv to get it started up and him riding again and immediately ran into an issue. Battery was dead, charged battery and engine struggles to spin over still. Battery dies very quickly. Battery is of unknown age so got a new battery. Engine still sounds like it's struggling to spin over when pressing the starter button and new battery dies pretty quickly. Pulled spark plug to check spark and noticed it's dry and black, almost sooty. Without plug in place engine spins freely. pulled Carb and disassembled and cleaned everything, reassembled and installed. went to start and get a click from starter solenoid, but nothing from the starter. removed the starter and found it was burned up, brush holder melted, one of the brushes floating. Ordered starter.

When new starter came I was able to get the engine running, for about 10 seconds. let off throttle and engine stalled, couldn't get it started again. Here's where I'm at now. I replaced the carb, had one that I bought last year and it's never been run. still nothing. When trying to start engine, if I give it any throttle at all it will not turn over, stops turning over as soon as I crack the throttle. If the idle speed screw is turned in too far, same thing. When it is spinning over it 'catches' for lack of a better word and stops spinning. I adjusted valves today, .006mm, no improvement. I have a new starter solenoid, haven't installed it. The CDI box was replaced last summer. I had a new coil and plug wire so installed that today as well.

Where do I go from here? I've done everything I know to do and it just will not run.