Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-03-2024, 09:08 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megadan View Post
The Hawk is a clone of a 150-160cc Honda dual sport sold in S. America.

That bike, with a couple of changes, is now being sold in N. America.

Hence the uncanny looks between the 2.

Honestly, I would spend the extra money for the Honda, despite the engine being smaller, because it also makes the actual HP it's rated for. That 150cc is every bit as capable of the same top speed as a CG250 powered Hawk or similar.

I don't know how it would translate to crank HP, but there is a video of one on a Dyno, and it makes just shy of 11 HP at the wheel, at around 7,500 rpm, and makes at least 10HP from about 6,300- 8,600 rpm. I makes about 8 ft lbs of torque between 5,000, and 7,000 rpm. . I don't know how much a properly jetted , but otherwise stock Hawk, or similar would make on a wheel Dyno.

Old 04-03-2024, 09:21 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Hilly View Post
I don't know how it would translate to crank HP, but there is a video of one on a Dyno, and it makes just shy of 11 HP at the wheel, at around 7,500 rpm, and makes at least 10HP from about 6,300- 8,600 rpm. I makes about 8 ft lbs of torque between 5,000, and 7,000 rpm. . I don't know how much a properly jetted , but otherwise stock Hawk, or similar would make on a wheel Dyno.
Your average Hawk, with no mods but a main jet to correct fueling, maybe 12hp. It's not just the peak power that matters though, but where the peak is, and the shape of the power curve. The Honda has a higher peak, and has better power "under the curve." You noted that too in your reply, making 10hp across a wide range at the top of the RPM curve. The Hawks peak about 7000-7500 and nose dive hard after that.
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Old 04-03-2024, 09:31 PM   #18

Quote:
Your average Hawk, with no mods but a main jet to correct fueling, maybe 12hp. It's not just the peak power that matters though, but where the peak is, and the shape of the power curve. The Honda has a higher peak, and has better power "under the curve." You noted that too in your reply, making 10hp across a wide range at the top of the RPM curve. The Hawks peak about 7000-7500 and nose dive hard after that.
I can see someone that just wants to hop on one, and ride, and never doing any work to the bike themselves, but choosing to have it done in a shop, if needed buying one of these, but the fact that it has what appears to be nearly identical suspension to the base Hawk, Raven, TBR7 would make it nor a good value to me, but I do realize that the motor is FAR more efficient, and economical to operate.
Here is the video, it shows the curves at the end. There are also some were they put a 222cc kit , and more aggressive cam in one.

Old 04-03-2024, 10:15 PM   #19

Quote:
I can see someone that just wants to hop on one, and ride, and never doing any work to the bike themselves, but choosing to have it done in a shop, if needed buying one of these, but the fact that it has what appears to be nearly identical suspension to the base Hawk, Raven, TBR7 would make it nor a good value to me, but I do realize that the motor is FAR more efficient, and economical to operate.
Here is the video, it shows the curves at the end. There are also some were they put a 222cc kit , and more aggressive cam in one.
Y'all discount the forks way too quickly. I will take a set of spaghetti thin KYB forks over the chinese inverted forks every single day of the week.

Not to mention, the flex that the thin standard forks provide isn't actually a bad thing, especially on rough surfaces.

Old 04-03-2024, 10:35 PM   #20

well hawk, templar, raven, tbr7, magician, whatever. thank goodness for Chinabikes! (and layaway)

Old 04-03-2024, 10:57 PM   #21

Quote:
Y'all discount the forks way too quickly. I will take a set of spaghetti thin KYB forks over the chinese inverted forks every single day of the week.

Not to mention, the flex that the thin standard forks provide isn't actually a bad thing, especially on rough surfaces.
I much favor my Hawk on gravel, and rougher roads over my KPX, but I think a lot of it is because of my weight, and the fact that I have not attempted to add any extra preload to my front forks. I know that the Hawk has weaker suspension, and rims, but aside from the abuse of my weight, I don't really abuse either bike. My Hawk runs just about as good on open roads now, with the motor warmed up some, and the 17/46 sprockets. I catch myself feeling guilty for wearing it out on the faster, longer runs nowadays, , but I think I must be a creature of habit, and for some illogical reason like the Hawk more, I also liked it more than my TBR7, and it looked better, and was newer.. I will say that the KPX uses noticably less gas than the Hawk, and I need to start using it like I did before warming , and gearing the Hawk up, which was basically using the Hawk for more, but shorter, local, and back road rides, and using the KPX for longer, faster rides, like to other towns.

Old 04-03-2024, 11:02 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapkin View Post
well hawk, templar, raven, tbr7, magician, whatever. thank goodness for Chinabikes! (and layaway)
I like the looks of the Magician, but I would stay away from them. They evidently have way worse welds, and are likely to have leaking gas tanks, and a hard, to get rear sprocket. I don't know about weight capacity, but I know the bikes are smaller, and it's evidently cramped enough to make even gett to the carburetor difficult. I think that is the bike that you have to adjust the idle via a hole in the frame.

Old 04-03-2024, 11:42 PM   #23

Quote:
I much favor my Hawk on gravel, and rougher roads over my KPX, but I think a lot of it is because of my weight, and the fact that I have not attempted to add any extra preload to my front forks. I know that the Hawk has weaker suspension, and rims, but aside from the abuse of my weight, I don't really abuse either bike. My Hawk runs just about as good on open roads now, with the motor warmed up some, and the 17/46 sprockets. I catch myself feeling guilty for wearing it out on the faster, longer runs nowadays, , but I think I must be a creature of habit, and for some illogical reason like the Hawk more, I also liked it more than my TBR7, and it looked better, and was newer.. I will say that the KPX uses noticably less gas than the Hawk, and I need to start using it like I did before warming , and gearing the Hawk up, which was basically using the Hawk for more, but shorter, local, and back road rides, and using the KPX for longer, faster rides, like to other towns.
Weaker in what sense? My spaghetti forks hold me up just fine, run down the road just fine, and have handled some decent off road without issue. The standard thin forks are a pair of YSS valves away from being better than any inverted china fork on the market short of the fully adjustable units on the more expensive bikes. I've also run with and without a fork brace, and I prefer without when off road, and with when on the street.

The KPX is better on gas because of that fuel injection. If I were to replace my Hawk I would have a KPX tomorrow for that very reason, and the better OHC engine... and the 6th gear.

Old 04-03-2024, 11:50 PM   #24

Quote:
Weaker in what sense? My spaghetti forks hold me up just fine, run down the road just fine, and have handled some decent off road without issue. The standard thin forks are a pair of YSS valves away from being better than any inverted china fork on the market short of the fully adjustable units on the more expensive bikes. I've also run with and without a fork brace, and I prefer without when off road, and with when on the street.

The KPX is better on gas because of that fuel injection. If I were to replace my Hawk I would have a KPX tomorrow for that very reason, and the better OHC engine... and the 6th gear.
I guess it's just the looks of the front forks that may make then seem like they are weak, and while the box tubing rear swing arm could obviously bend if abused, I guess as the bikes age, rust could become an issue, but I would chalk that up to the owner as much as the design. 6th gear on the KPX is not really as high as one may think. I think that with the 17/46 sprockets on the Hawk, and comparing to the stock sprockets on the KPX ( don't know the size), it seems like 1st on the KPX is now a little lower, than 1st in the Hawk, but not by much, and that 6th is about 1/2 a gear higher than 5th on the Hawk. I think the Hawk would run about 70 as easily as the KPX 75. It seems like the KPX feels heavier than the Hawk as well, but I don't really know. I plan on, loosing weight, and I figure that both bikes will have a lot more pep.LOL

Old 04-04-2024, 10:16 AM   #25

Quote:
I plan on, loosing weight, and I figure that both bikes will have a lot more pep.LOL
me too. i feel the best performance upgrade for my Hawk is me dropping 100lbs heheheh. I know I would feel more steady on the trails and probably be able to hit at least 67.5mph heheheheeh

Old 04-06-2024, 06:46 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapkin View Post
I emailed PSM and asked them that exact question, Zora said they haven't updated the website pictures but the new RXE ship with the counterbalanced Zongshen motor.
The RXE does look like a nice deal. Assuming that it does come with the counterbalanced version of the engine, the only minor compromises are no engine gaurd and standard forks. Those turn signals look identical to the ones I got on the Storm, and it looks like a good rack. And yup, it's hard to beat that price! The standard Hawk "X" costs over $400 more, but looks so similar and has essentially all the same stuff!