Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-01-2016, 12:27 PM   #16

Thanks for the info on the new pipes. Does removing the cat have any DOT issues? Cool to hear that the bike runs even better with this. I looked over your thread and see how you cut the pipe and put on and adapter and it looks like you maybe used a piece of the original bracket also.

Old 11-01-2016, 12:30 PM   #17

RJ, I got an email back from Spanish Fly asking for pictures and measurements of our muffler end pipe and I've sent those off. I also got an email back from CSC: " Our exhaust is not USFS approved, But I have never heard of anyone having a problem.
If the bike goes thru a poker test it does have a plate in the exhaust where it is not a straight thru exhaust and that is what I hear how they test it.
There are aftermarket spark arrestors out there but CSC does not have one."

I am not sure what he means by it not being a straight thru exhaust as I can look in and see the length of the muffler to the CAT. Yeah, if it was bent then it would pass according to the regulations I had read. I'll follow-up with them.

Old 11-01-2016, 12:55 PM   #18

2LZ, you don't happen to still have what left of that old muffler do you? If you do, would you be able to drill out the rivets and remove the silver end cap and post pictures of each end. I'm thinking of a ghetto spark arrestor setup where I buy one of the real screens and then bend it around the long perferated pipe, and then put the end cap back on and re-rivet it. Just want to make sure the two haves look like what I'd need and really don't want to tear mine apart if it won't work. But if you have a donor one to mess with...:-)

Thanks!

Old 11-01-2016, 02:06 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjmartin View Post
2LZ, you don't happen to still have what left of that old muffler do you? If you do, would you be able to drill out the rivets and remove the silver end cap and post pictures of each end. I'm thinking of a ghetto spark arrestor setup where I buy one of the real screens and then bend it around the long perferated pipe, and then put the end cap back on and re-rivet it. Just want to make sure the two haves look like what I'd need and really don't want to tear mine apart if it won't work. But if you have a donor one to mess with...:-)

Thanks!
I'll dig it back up and see what I can see. Every China muffler I've had, with the exception of the Hensim's, were all welded into one piece under the chrome cap. The cap was just a piece of bling. That may be a CA thing though. I hear the Hawks come apart and they're not legal here.

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 11-01-2016, 03:26 PM   #20

Thanks 2LZ!

A few more updates from CSC, WA DNR and USFS on my queries:

CSC: The plate I am speaking about is the Catalytic Converter, you are correct. From what I under stand they just check to see if the poker goes all the way thru the muffler with no obstruction, That what they don’t want to see, But I think by the converter blocking it that they will let that go by, That’s what I have heard from some people but I cant tell you 100% that that works for everybody or every place.

USFS: This is in response of your inquiry about your adventure motorcycle going to a place with OHV vehicles, you need your muffler be certified with a spark arrester.

I have followed up with that reply from the USFS: Thanks for your reply. I want to make sure I’m clear as I just received a bit of conflicting information from someone else. My motorcycle is a new street legal bike but has the ability to ride off-road (Adventure type motorcycle) and as such they don’t stamp them with certification for spark arrestors. The muffler does contain a catalytic converter in it which blocks the direct flow from the engine out the exhaust. Does this setup allow me to ride in USFS locations?

WA DNR: I’m Officer Ron Whitehall from DNR Law Enforcement assigned to the Northwest Region. To answer your question, If your bike is new and no modification to the exhaust have been done you are legal to ride on public streets and State Land trails. A spark arrestor was built into your new muffler. Street mufflers will be stamped DOT approved and off road mufflers will be stamped spark arrestor approved, both are legal mufflers. If you have any question please feel free to call me at 360-480-9369

Old 11-01-2016, 04:30 PM   #21

"WA DNR: I’m Officer Ron Whitehall from DNR Law Enforcement assigned to the Northwest Region. To answer your question, If your bike is new and no modification to the exhaust have been done you are legal to ride on public streets and State Land trails. A spark arrestor was built into your new muffler. Street mufflers will be stamped DOT approved and off road mufflers will be stamped spark arrestor approved, both are legal mufflers. If you have any question please feel free to call me at 360-480-9369 "

Works for me . So does our RX3 have a "DOT" stamp on it? Mines home and I won't see it till tonight. Now that I think about it , all street legal cars and pickups go on these forest roads and I've never heard of them causing a fire. So now how do I get my RX3 to pass a proctology exam with the old stickaroo up the piperoo ???? rj

Old 11-01-2016, 07:37 PM   #22

You will be legal as long as you affixed the sticker CSC sent to us with the DOT approval for the muffler. Mine is where it can be seen (on the top, next to the side of the bike). Spark arresters were put into place before catalytic converters, and modern mufflers. Mostly on 2 stroke dirt bikes that would shoot sparks out.

Old 11-01-2016, 09:31 PM   #23

2x with adv dad.

Fjmartin... I would say you now have your golden ticket quote from the officer and hold on to it in case you need it to fight any ticket or what ever the Fed would try against you (charge you on your tax return? , next to the Obama care fine I guess )
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~Benjamin Franklin~

Old 11-01-2016, 10:09 PM   #24

AdventureDad, I do have a sticker on my muffler that says "MOTORCYCLE EXHAUST SYSTEM NOISE EMISSION CONTROL INFORMATION This ZONGSHEN exhaust system 18000-M954-0600 meets EPA noise emission requirements of 80dBA for the following motorcycle: ZON41A0250. Installation of this exhaust system on motorcycle models not specified may violate federal law. See owner's manual.

Is this the sticker you are talking about?

Old 11-01-2016, 10:09 PM   #25

Blackbike, I have the golden ticket from the WA DNR but not from the USFS. Still waiting to get that figured out.

Old 11-01-2016, 10:50 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjmartin View Post
Blackbike, I have the golden ticket from the WA DNR but not from the USFS. Still waiting to get that figured out.
I see. Well good luck getting a clear answer from the Fed. . They will probably refer to your state regs...round and round she goes.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~Benjamin Franklin~

Old 11-02-2016, 10:42 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBike View Post
I see. Well good luck getting a clear answer from the Fed. . They will probably refer to your state regs...round and round she goes.
State regs can be more stringent than Fed regs, but not less stringent.

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 11-02-2016, 11:04 AM   #28

True, but we are talking about different lands. DNR lands isn't USFS land so they have different rules due to different jurisdictions.

Old 11-02-2016, 11:22 AM   #29

2LZ I believe the equivalent Pipe is available on eBay:

Look at this on eBay
51MM Exhaust Muffler With Removable DB Killer For Dirt Street Bike Motorcycle
http://www.ebay.com/itm/172292447471

Old 11-02-2016, 12:26 PM   #30

The description on this one doesn't include any language for a spark arrestor.