Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Off-Topic/General Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-15-2016, 07:20 PM   #16

Just thought I'd bump this up. I know how much Doc likes snow.

Just an hour ride on Far A$$ Wally this morning. That's only six miles, feels like sixty. Fresh snow, along with more coming down and Canada Geese on the Fox River as far as the eye can see. Saw three Bald Eagles, too, but wasn't fast enough with the camera.

Still trying to find a good compromise with tire pressure. 15psi works good on pavement but beats the snot outta me on rough stuff. 10psi smooths out the rough stuff but makes the bike an anchor on the road. Such is life.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

I'm making this up as I go.-Indiana Jones

Telling me something 'is for my own good', is a fast way to a fat lip.-Me

I don't even care about my own problems, why should I care about yours?-Quote on one of my favorite t-shirts

Old 02-16-2016, 11:03 AM   #17

I have to admit the Fat Bike thing is interesting and thank you for taking the time to share the wonderful pictures!

When I was in Sun Valley, Spudland (SL) last month I considered renting fat tire bikes to ride on the snow but we went with cross country skis instead. It looks like a fun workout, with the potential for numerous funny harmless falls and slips.

I bet it's hard to dress for. Warm enough for the outside but cool enough you don't get wet with sweat.

As far as tires go you can try what the 4X4 guys do. Air down for the fluff and bring a pocket pump to air up for the pavement. A small pump weighs only ounces but will take a little time with high volume low pressure situations.

Old 02-16-2016, 11:08 AM   #18

BTW I've purchased another Motobecane. This one is a 'Bucket List' bike. A high end carbon fiber full Ultegra long distance race bike. The sort of thing I've always wanted. I'll be competing in a Century in May. I've been training fairly hard for the past month. I've fairly old but strong enough, and the bike's technology makes up for some of my weaknesses.

Old 02-16-2016, 11:59 AM   #19

Well, you put a Lifan motor in an old XR.... When's one going in here!? ;-)

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 02-16-2016, 12:08 PM   #20

I think I may be interested in more Centuries but I need to make sure I can live through this one first before I make more plans LOL!

Last Century I did was with a much younger body...

Old 02-16-2016, 08:35 PM   #21

Hopefully you got that on the January cyber deal for cheap .

Old 02-16-2016, 09:48 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastDoc View Post
I think I may be interested in more Centuries but I need to make sure I can live through this one first before I make more plans LOL!

Good on ya, Doc.

I don't know how many I have done but I was 52 in 2008 when I did my last. That was one year after getting clobbered. Since then, though I still have the ability, I just don't have the desire. I would rather stop and smell the roses(aka stop and bend an elbow).

That said, make sure the bike fits you 'perfectly'. Same with the shoes if they are cleats. Probably more so with the shoes. It would suck to drop at 90 miles with knee pain. Take your time, better to finish able to drive home than to have your tongue flapping in your spokes. Also, invest in a little green can of Bag Balm. Your butt will thank you.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

I don't even care about my own problems, why should I care about yours?-Quote on one of my favorite t-shirts

Old 02-17-2016, 08:46 AM   #23

Quote:

Doc's last Century was last Century.

Old 02-17-2016, 10:03 PM   #24

Alan, that is so funny. That is literally and figuratively true! I rode another 30 mile training ride tonight, granted not a giant deal, but there's 1000 foot climb involved. I felt great :-) Cheesy, thank you so much for the excellent advice. I will probably be picking your brain more as the event gets closer. Having all of you guys, my friends, know my plans, will help keep me from backing out LOL

Old 02-18-2016, 04:11 PM   #25

Quote:
Alan, that is so funny. That is literally and figuratively true! I rode another 30 mile training ride tonight, granted not a giant deal, but there's 1000 foot climb involved. I felt great :-) Cheesy, thank you so much for the excellent advice. I will probably be picking your brain more as the event gets closer. Having all of you guys, my friends, know my plans, will help keep me from backing out LOL
You know where to find me.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

Old 02-18-2016, 05:16 PM   #26

I was looking back at your pics. The Rivendell in particular is very interesting. What kind of gearing (if any) does ity have? I almost looks like there is some sort of a weird derraileur but the rest of the drivetrain looks like a single speed...

Old 02-18-2016, 07:02 PM   #27

Quote:
I was looking back at your pics. The Rivendell in particular is very interesting. What kind of gearing (if any) does ity have? I almost looks like there is some sort of a weird derraileur but the rest of the drivetrain looks like a single speed...
It has a Sram 7 speed gear hub, Doc. Gear range is roughly 25/85 inches. Because the frame has vertical dropouts I needed to use a Surly Singlator, the weird derailleur thingy, to get the chain right. Without it, the chain is too loose or too tight.

650B wheels, drum brakes front and rear, front dynohub, and very, very comfortable.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

Old 02-18-2016, 10:29 PM   #28

What an exotic bicycle. It really looks cool. So it shifts something like the way in old Raleigh three speed would? Thumb lever or something? All internal?

Old 02-19-2016, 08:18 AM   #29

Thanks, Doc. And yes, all internal. It uses a twist shifter mounted on the end of the right side handlebar. The owner of the bike shop who built the bike, and I, had a heck of time figuring how to mount a twist shifter on a drop bar, but we did it.

It is the only bike I own that I paid someone to build, which felt strange. Coming up with, and machining the adapter for the shifter was my only contribution to the build. Well that, and a mountain of cash.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

Old 02-19-2016, 11:25 AM   #30

The mountain of cash is a key contribution.

I'll also hire the LBS for stuff I can't do, or can't do well. Wheelbuilding mostly. Also servicing/bleeding hydraulic disc brakes. Its done with different tools and materials than cars and motorcycles. I sometimes feel bad I don't use the LBS's more but its faster for me to fix most things myself. Lord knows I would have no idea how to build the wheel and hub on your bike in particular. God only knows how many little bits are INSIDE the hub!

I was a pretty good bicycle mechanic in years gone by, but with the uber-modern bikes much is different. Not really better or worse, just different.

I greatly prefer the clean thin athletic looks of the classics, but I can't argue with the performance advantages of my carbon fiber monocoque bike.