Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-31-2016, 05:19 PM   #1

Still chasing the Hawk Gremlins....

Thank you all for this site. I have been able to make a lot of progress on fine tuning the two Hawks I bought. One of them, mine of course, is still giving me two troubles and hopefully I can get some insight;

- The front shocks make a lot of noise at full extension. When I hit the bumps at some speed it sounds like the front end will fall off. I have replaced the fork oil with an equal amount of synthetic ATF but no improvement.

- At start up I have no power. Bike starts fine with choke and quickly idles. But until it is warm, 5-6 minutes, I have zero power. It acts like a 30 cc pit bike. Once warm it runs great.

Thanks again for any response. I am pretty handy with repairs but new to motorcycles. For some reason my wife's bike runs perfectly!

Old 01-31-2016, 06:53 PM   #2

Let me start with saying I know nothing about your bikes specificly. I don't know if you have any sort of maintenance manual for your bikes, either.

Doug, you're in an excellent position compared to other folks, having 2 identical machines with one of them running good.

I suggest putting your wife's carb on your bike and see if the power/running problem goes away. Immediately return her carb!!!!!

It may be as simple as idle mixture needing adjustment, or may be dirt in the jet(s). Investigate.

I also suggest you check the valve clearance on your engine, hers as well.

Replacing the oil in the forks with the same amount assumes the quantity was correct to begin with. I suggest trying to find out what amount is supposed to be in them.

Good luck.

Old 01-31-2016, 07:38 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay In Milpitas View Post
Let me start with saying I know nothing about your bikes specificly. I don't know if you have any sort of maintenance manual for your bikes, either.

Doug, you're in an excellent position compared to other folks, having 2 identical machines with one of them running good.

I suggest putting your wife's carb on your bike and see if the power/running problem goes away. Immediately return her carb!!!!!

It may be as simple as idle mixture needing adjustment, or may be dirt in the jet(s). Investigate.

I also suggest you check the valve clearance on your engine, hers as well.

Replacing the oil in the forks with the same amount assumes the quantity was correct to begin with. I suggest trying to find out what amount is supposed to be in them.

Good luck.
I agree with all of the above my first reaction was going to be check the valve clearances as this should be done anyway. As for re shocks the only problem is no one seems to know how much oil should go in the Hawks shocks. I know I have searched the Internet and never found that answer.

2014 Hawk 250
Firehawk minibike
Previous bikes~
1995 Yamaha YZ125
1998 Yamaha YZ250
1981 Yamaha YZ465
1987 Honda TRX 250R X2 one stock one modified
2002 Buell Blast
2001 Buell X1 Lightning
2000 Kawasaki ZR7

Old 01-31-2016, 08:44 PM   #4

Thanks guys. I like the carb stealing solution! I know we have a dealer rep in our group. I will ask him for the fork oil volume. Just odd that the power comes back to my bike so quickly. Will keep you posted.

Old 02-01-2016, 01:49 PM   #5

I'm going with valve adjust also. The forks? Sounds like you're topping out. Possibly overfilled??

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 02-01-2016, 02:36 PM   #6

Thanks 2LZ. I could do as Jay suggested on the carb and drain the wife's fork oil and measure. I used the same 2/3 of a cup in each of my shocks that I removed. I rarely bottom out but they make a terrible noise when they are suddenly fully extended, topping out.

Old 02-01-2016, 05:57 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDoug View Post
Thanks 2LZ. I could do as Jay suggested on the carb and drain the wife's fork oil and measure. I used the same 2/3 of a cup in each of my shocks that I removed. I rarely bottom out but they make a terrible noise when they are suddenly fully extended, topping out.
Keep in mind the fork oils, along with everything other lubricant, are rarely correct, either type or quantity. Since the Hawks don't have USB (inverted) forks, they're easier to toy with and adjust. Just flip them over and drain a small and equal cc amount into a measuring cup from each fork until it seems good for your weight. Also, I'm 200 pounds and have not had to go over 10w fluid. It could just be what you're running may be to thick to go through the dampening tubes quickly enough and they could be pressurizing on downstroke.

Like heck if I can find where I wrote all this stuff down when I did all my forks. That's the problem with moving! My vital records end up on Oak Island.

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 02-07-2016, 03:35 PM   #8

Did the valve job, thanks for all the info. However that did not make a bit of difference. I think for $40 I might just order new carb.

Old 02-07-2016, 10:26 PM   #9

It might make you happy.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 02-14-2016, 10:05 AM   #10

If your front end sounds like its about to come apart its probably the steering stem. mine was not torqued right from the factory and i almost lost my top nut. get it on a stand, pull your handlebars and your upper triple clamp and tighten that castle nut until its tight. I used slip joint pliers, if it becomes hard to turn the forks you went to far. put it all back together using loctite and proper torque specs. that front end chatter should be gone. now you can listen to your brake pads chatter.

Old 02-14-2016, 08:41 PM   #11

Oh wow you weren't kidding. It was only finger tight. I tightened it up tonight and will have to see if the helps. Thanks!