Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Everything Else
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-13-2009, 08:01 AM   #1

Any experience with the electric scooters?

I see giobikes.com auctions the electric scooters (with peddles) and I was wondering if anyone has any first hand experience with them. Miles on a charge, peddle effort, etc....

Seems to me that one could legally ride on the walking/biking trails around here with them...

"The beatings will continue until moral improves"

Old 07-13-2009, 08:41 AM   #2

I haven't tried the GIO one, maybe you have some pull with them to get a review machine

I did "test ride" a used electric scooter here, it seemed really slow and to have really low acceleration. I suppose it depends on what you want to use them for though.

Old 07-13-2009, 09:03 AM   #3

The E-Bike is out of stock.............

There is a 500w GIO scooter that goes by my place every working morning at a brisk walking pace.

I checked in with Service NB last year about an electric "thing" and was told you needed the whole shooting match, plate, insurance, etc.

As far as I know, the only place in Canada with a general waiver, for electric scooter "things", is Ontario, and that one is temporary, until they get it figured out, then I would expect the tax man to cash in.

Old 07-13-2009, 09:27 AM   #4

Quote:
I haven't tried the GIO one, maybe you have some pull with them to get a review machine
I'd certainly wouldn't turn one away if offered. I live ~2-3 km's from work and it's level ground all the way; ideal commute for an electric scooter.

My # 1 rule about SNB, it depends on who you get at the counter.

I typically refer to the NBH/NBOH Act(s) directly. Half the police/SNB staff around here don't REALLY know what is/is not legal. I've seen guys get dirt bikes plated with no hassles where others have been denied with the same type of bike. Sometimes it even depends on the office you visit (remote = better ).

IMHO, since they include peddles they're no different than the electric bicycles sold at CT. At the worst they should be registerable as an under-50cc scooter. Insurance and registration should therefore (hopefully) be cheap.

"The beatings will continue until moral improves"

Old 07-13-2009, 11:51 AM   #5

The Pastor at our Church rides an electric scooter; I saw it on Saturday. He says that there is no insurance or registration required in BC at this time. I watched him make a left hand turn up a slight hill, and it seemed to accelerate quickly enough up to about 40 km/h (25 mph).

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 07-13-2009, 10:09 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind
The Pastor at our Church rides an electric scooter; I saw it on Saturday. He says that there is no insurance or registration required in BC at this time. I watched him make a left hand turn up a slight hill, and it seemed to accelerate quickly enough up to about 40 km/h (25 mph).
32 km/h Legally anyways. In BC, you do not need a license, registration or insurance for an electric bicycle. It is allowed to go a maximum of 32 km/h.

http://www.icbc.com/registration-lic...motor-assisted

Old 07-14-2009, 12:05 AM   #7

That's funny. He asked me if I could make it faster, and I said "not without attracting attention". I advised him that he can't exceed the speed limit placed on electric scooters. He understands, and is choosing to take the high road and not modify it.

He's a good pastor.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 08-11-2009, 07:45 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind
That's funny. He asked me if I could make it faster, and I said "not without attracting attention". I advised him that he can't exceed the speed limit placed on electric scooters. He understands, and is choosing to take the high road and not modify it.

He's a good pastor.
That is funny. These little units intrigue me, would be a fun toy.

Your Pastor sounds like somone I used to know out you way, wonder if he's still out there. Pastor D.C.

Old 08-27-2009, 09:41 AM   #9

knowing the way the chinese wire the normal bikes :oops:
i wouldnt buy a fully electric bike of them lol

Old 08-27-2009, 01:17 PM   #10

I have one of these:

http://electricscootersworld.com/Xtr...60byXtreme.php

It is a poorly made POS.

It came here for free, because it was broken, the folks that owned it had it repaired once, and got hosed (new: motor, controller, batteries, and throttle). The "repair" lasted 2 weeks when the 200w controller the repair shop installed burnt out. I sourced a controller from the US, and fixed it, but it was hardly worth it.

Old 07-07-2022, 09:46 AM   #11

I would suggest to go with the ones which you can remove the speed limiter.

Old 07-07-2022, 10:29 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZahraM5 View Post
I would suggest to go with the ones which you can remove the speed limiter.
This is a 13 year old thread. None of the folks that started it or commented on it are even active on the forum anymore.

Last edited by CaptainCanuck; 07-19-2022 at 08:11 PM.