Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Everything Else
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-15-2020, 07:37 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by franque View Post
The classic unit to pre-unit conversion... Are you going to teach yourself casting and make a cool primary cover? That would be so cool! Or maybe you should adapt some train parts, based on your vocation
Haven’t gotten that far yet. Seriously considering leaving it open and rotating the engine 180, like this.
http://www.dieselwiesel.de/

As far as train parts go, nah, that stuff is heavy.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

I'm making this up as I go.-Indiana Jones

Telling me something 'is for my own good', is a fast way to a fat lip.-Me

I don't even care about my own problems, why should I care about yours?-Quote on one of my favorite t-shirts

Old 07-15-2020, 08:04 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesy View Post
Haven’t gotten that far yet. Seriously considering leaving it open and rotating the engine 180, like this.
http://www.dieselwiesel.de/

As far as train parts go, nah, that stuff is heavy.
That Dieselwiesel DW 406 Is a sweet looking bike. Now you got me search for a frame.
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 07-15-2020, 01:20 PM   #33

Where I am with the Suzuki bottom end.

I got the shift drum out after the pic was taken. All that’s left in the block are the shift drum bearings and the shifter forks. The fork rod is supposed the slide out by hand but it ain’t. Soaking in PB Blaster at the moment. Even though this was supposed to be a 5000 mile engine, I don’t think it ever saw too many oil changes. I will make sure I have replacement shift drum bearings on hand before removing those. They look fragile and cheap.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

I don't even care about my own problems, why should I care about yours?-Quote on one of my favorite t-shirts

Old 07-15-2020, 02:17 PM   #34

Cheesy, a thought occurred to me on the input side; why not take the crank to a local machine shop and see if they can fabricate out a straight crank, with the same setup on one side to drive the gearbox (what would be the output side on the factory crank), and an input drive on the other side that you can swap sprockets onto? Then, you can put a sprocket on the both the output of the engine and the input shaft (what would be the new straight crankshaft), and change your gearing very easily? I'm sure you're light-years ahead of that with your planning, but just thought I'd throw an idea your way.

I was struggling to get my wife's attention; I sat down on the couch and looked comfortable. That did the trick!

My wife says I only have two faults. I don't listen and something else...

If at first you don't succeed, try doing it the way I told you to...

The Stable:
2005 Yamaha V-Star 650 - SOLD
2015 Suzuki DR 650
2015 RPS Hawk 250 - SOLD
2016 Ural Gear Up

Old 07-15-2020, 02:31 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerikol View Post
Cheesy, a thought occurred to me on the input side; why not take the crank to a local machine shop and see if they can fabricate out a straight crank, with the same setup on one side to drive the gearbox (what would be the output side on the factory crank), and an input drive on the other side that you can swap sprockets onto? Then, you can put a sprocket on the both the output of the engine and the input shaft (what would be the new straight crankshaft), and change your gearing very easily? I'm sure you're light-years ahead of that with your planning, but just thought I'd throw an idea your way.
Those were my exact thoughts as well. My brain is a little older so takes a little longer to get out.
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 07-15-2020, 04:03 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerikol View Post
That was kind of Plan A. Lack of room in the frame was the main issue I changed horses mid stream. At least this way, I get a lot of aluminum welding practice with my TIG outfit. Which I still haven’t even plugged in yet.

Nice thing about having the FSM is I now know the primary ratio, 1.9xx:1 or 89/45 as far as the gear teeth go. When I convert the transmission input to chain drive, I at least have a baseline.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

Old 07-15-2020, 05:57 PM   #37

Another idea, instead of connecting to the shaft at the end, why not in the middle, like where the cam chain used to run, but maybe with a duplex chain so it will stay together. You'd still run the shaft all the way through, for bearing support.

Old 07-15-2020, 10:50 PM   #38

I forgot to mention that I got to use my induction heater on some sooper tight JIS screws. Couldn’t get those puppies loose with my Vessel JIS impact screw driver. Tried my 1/4“battery impact driver, nothing. Wasn’t going to try my “you better frickin’ come loose” impact driver because I ended up drilling out the last ones I used it on.
I couldn’t get the coil ‘around’ the flat head screws, so I held the coil over the screw. Counted down from 10 and tried the Vessel again. No go. Tried the 1/4“ again and the screw came loose like it was finger tight. So did the rest of them.

These were the first screws that the Vessel could not break loose. All I can think of is that the lower part of the case wasn’t secured to the bench.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

Old 07-16-2020, 07:22 PM   #39

Nothing happened today. Worked in the field and beat the crap out of myself.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

Old 07-18-2020, 07:09 AM   #40

Picked up the aluminum sheet yesterday. That was an ordeal.
As the crow flies, aka, the interstate, 55 miles. But the interstate has construction near Rockford, where my metal is. It sucks. As the dog walks, aka, Ural roads, 75 miles. And many of those are gravel. Run north, then west, then north, then west, ad nauseum.
But, those old farmers were smart and laid out three roads that run northwest through the three counties I need to run through to get to Rockford. 46 miles. So, I hop on the Ural and scoot.
I hit the first of angled roads but after about two miles, sunuva..., Road Closed. I picked the day they’re seal coating. Crap. North, then west, then north, then west. Some how, I missed that middle angled road. In my defense, I had never been on these roads. Nice rural scenery, though. I eventually hit the last of the angled roads, get to Rockford, get my metal. Two freaking hours.
Return trip, I managed to find that middle angled road. And seal coating was finished. One hour and fifteen minutes return trip.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

Old 07-20-2020, 08:30 AM   #41

Just a list of the parts I have acquired so far.
Master Cylinder w/lever
Clutch lever
R & L handle bar control
Shifter
Throttle sleeve & grips
Aluminum plate

Still need but not in a hurry for
Front caliper (located)
Clutch cable
Brake hose (having made)
Rear brake lever w/shaft
Sprocket cover w/clutch actuator (located)
Speedo (trying to make up my mind whether to go stock, Universal Chinese: I have a second one but doubt I can use the tach feature, or gps)
All electrical
Fuel tank and lines
Maybe a pancake alternator (I think the engine alternator is only 3 Amp)

As for spare parts for the Lambordini one lunger, I located a Kohler/Lambordini dealer & service center 12 miles from the house. No more getting fuel filters from Finland.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

Old 07-20-2020, 09:08 AM   #42

Next time you need one gimme a tinkle and I'll throw some salmiakki and other local treats into the box as well
Ex:Bashan BS200-S7 `07 Streetfighter-quad

Old 07-24-2020, 09:17 AM   #43

Started cutting yesterday. Started out by taking the case to my buddies’ machine shop but it was too big to fit in both his band saw or recip. Sooo, I am doing the initial cuts by hand. That should only take a week. I lied, a day or two. I have gotten through the top side with a hack saw and my Sawzall. The bottom side is going to be interesting because of the contours.

When I am happy with the fitiment of the trans and engine in the frame, my buddy will mill my hack job flat so I can seal it up.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

Old 07-24-2020, 09:04 PM   #44

I was busy today. A 12” long Sawzall blade made short work of the block.

Test fitting the transmission in the frame. Looks like I will be doing some frame work no matter what.

I got the Diesel up on the bench by myself. I’m going to feel that in the morning. Who am I kidding, I feel it now.

I pulled muffler, air cleaner, and fuel tank. That knocked off some weight and made for a slightly narrower profile. The blower cover is off to remove the fuel tank studs. I also found a broken blower cover bolt and got that out.

The sprocket cover with the clutch actuator came today, so that’s something. I also drilled out the rivets that hold the clutch basket, driven gear, and backing plate together. I have a think on how to make it work.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

Old 07-25-2020, 10:40 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesy View Post
I was busy today. A 12” long Sawzall blade made short work of the block.
"Short Work" of the block. I see what you did there...

No, seriously, you posted a picture, I really see it!

I was struggling to get my wife's attention; I sat down on the couch and looked comfortable. That did the trick!

My wife says I only have two faults. I don't listen and something else...

If at first you don't succeed, try doing it the way I told you to...

The Stable:
2005 Yamaha V-Star 650 - SOLD
2015 Suzuki DR 650
2015 RPS Hawk 250 - SOLD
2016 Ural Gear Up