Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-27-2021, 11:28 AM   #1

125 Spyder Go Kart CDI Question

Hey folks 1st time post.

Riding our go kart and the rotor/magnet came off and damaged the stator. I went ahead and replaced the stator, ignition coil, CDI, and spark plug because the kart was about 5 years old and probably due. Now I can’t get a spark.

I’ve checked all the grounds and components.

Testing with a voltmeter here is what I found.

Charge coil puts out 53 Volts AC when not connected to CDI and 36 Vac when connected to CDI.

The trigger coil only puts out 0.07 volts ac (measured by digital multimeter) which I don’t know if that’s good/bad/ or can’t really be measured by a digital voltmeter?

I disconnected the ignition kill switch to make sure that wasn’t the issue.

I checked continuity between the pins on both the old CDI and the New CDI. When I checked the ground to all other pins, no continuity which is good. When I checked the kill switch pin to the charge coil it is connected. Not sure if this should be this way or not. I think it should which is what would actually ground out the charge coil when you turn the key off. Either way I cut the kill wire to make sure that wasn’t it.

Need some help on this if anyone has any thoughts or suggestions. The trigger coil seems to be activated by a piece of metal on the OD of the rotor but not sure if there is a specific gap to get the right trigger voltage. There is no adjustment so not sure how that could be. Thx