Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > New Member Introductions
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-27-2013, 04:19 PM   #1

howdy all, advice gratefully accepted as I know NOWT!!

hey.

Been off bikes for twenty years, got myself a little project bike, a P.O.R Apache 125 that's been sat in a field feeling sorry for itself for a couple of years.

I want to get it running and back on the road, but really want to DO something to it first, customise it, make it look a bit more unique. I've seen some ideas of what I'd like to accomplish, but knowing NOTHING about engineering (but being VERY willing to learn) I'm going to be asking for advice on here a fair bit I think!

here it is when I got it..

And here's the kinda thing I'm taking inspiration from...

Yes, I KNOW it's a totally different layout with the suspension and the water cooler and all that, but the GENERAL shape, the stripped back street scrambler look, THAT's what I'd like to aim for. I'm going to need to hide a lot of stuff, re-position a lot of stuff, fabricate a seat unit, get a new tank, and GRIND a lot of stuff off!! And learn quickly. Can't wait!

Anyway. Hi all. Looking forward to picking your brains!

Old 12-27-2013, 04:36 PM   #2

Welcome to the forum.

I don't get the Chinese... Who NAMES these things? A POR (poor) bike??

Oh well, moving on...

That CRF250 flat tracker is the cat's azz. Very cool. Nice inspiration for your project.

Brother Weld will chime in shortly with custom cafe suggestions; it's his thing ;-)

Looks like you will want 18" wheels laced to your original hubs, clubman style bars, lower suspension, delete the airbox, relocate the battery out of sight (I'd recommend a tiny lithium style one), a custom seat, maybe a tank off a 70's honda CB, an Edge II type tail light with integral blinkers, and a million other things! LOL!

Does the UK require a license plate the size of a barn door? That suckers gonna slow the whole bike!

Old 12-27-2013, 04:44 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastDoc View Post
Welcome to the forum.

I don't get the Chinese... Who NAMES these things? A POR (poor) bike??
at least it doesn't say P.O.S on the side lol

Facts are meaningless. You could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true! --Homer Simpson

Old 12-27-2013, 05:36 PM   #4

Hey, replies! Woop!

Thanks folks, to show you the level of ignorance you're dealing with I'll tell you now that I'm gonna have to Google 'hubs' 'lacing' and 'rims' to start with!

Oh, I forgot to say, I want to do it on a very tight budget too, ! I know, I'm asking too much for my own level of tech savvy, but I'm not expecting to achieve THAT bike, just an approximation. And I want to learn from this project, lessons I can apply to my next.

All comments are appreciated, all suggestions will be looked into and pondered over, and all comments about the ridiculous size of our STUPID UK number plates will be vociferously agreed with!

Old 12-27-2013, 06:27 PM   #5

Having stripped all useless unnecessary detritus from the bike, I've found multiple nests of small creatures, a whole load of rusted on bolts, and a couple of spots on the frame that need welding, on the rear engine mount brackets..

Got a mate coming round next week with a couple of old small tanks we can try for size. That'll define the lines of the bike I reckon.

Does anyone know if the airbox can be taken off without taking the carb off? I've undone everything I can see, (3x cover screws, 3x box mounting bolts, 1x clip round the carb intake) but it ain't shifting yet..... There's not a lot of wiggle room in there.

Old 12-27-2013, 08:41 PM   #6

Welcome; we are glad you joined us.

Do yourself a favor, and remove the carburetor before you remove the air box. The carb is neither difficult to remove, nor difficult to install once the air box is removed. You might also need to remove the shock absorber to remove the air box.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 12-28-2013, 03:18 AM   #7

Thanks spud, I'll do just that. Nice zong btw!

Old 12-28-2013, 12:19 PM   #8

A Brit that says 'Howdy' and has 'Cactus' in his screen name??

Old 12-28-2013, 12:26 PM   #9

Quote:
A Brit that says 'Howdy' and has 'Cactus' in his screen name??
What can I say, I've watched too many movies and I feel an affinity with y'all!

Old 12-28-2013, 12:29 PM   #10

Quote:
Looks like you will want 18" wheels laced to your original hubs
the rear is 18" now, front 21"..

Forgive my ignorance, but do wheels from cg's/xt's fit on these bikes? Or does it have to be from a P.O.S? I mean R.

Old 12-28-2013, 12:50 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by cactusmelba View Post
What can I say, I've watched too many movies and I feel an affinity with y'all!
Hollywood strikes again! We have cactus plants in Idaho, but only the small, Prickly Pear Cactus. Nevertheless, these cactus plants are pretty when they flower in the spring.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 12-28-2013, 01:00 PM   #12

Quote:
the rear is 18" now, front 21"..

Forgive my ignorance, but do wheels from cg's/xt's fit on these bikes? Or does it have to be from a P.O.S? I mean R.
If you want to copy this Honda motorcycle, you probably want both wheels the same size.

In this instance, it's easiest to make the front wheel an 18-inch wheel. If someone knows of a Chinese motorcycle with an appropriate, 18-inch front wheel, you can get one of them. Otherwise, you can buy 18-inch Zongshen spokes from Taobao, in China. If you buy spokes you will need to disassemble the current front wheel, and have someone rebuild the wheel with the shorter spokes.

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 12-28-2013, 01:08 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpudRider View Post
In this instance, it's easiest to make the front wheel an 18-inch wheel. If someone knows of a Chinese motorcycle with an appropriate, 18-inch front wheel, you can get one of them. Otherwise, you can buy 18-inch Zongshen spokes from Taobao, in China. If you buy spokes you will need to disassemble the current front wheel, and have someone rebuild the wheel with the shorter spokes.
Thanks mister spud, you're starting to appreciate what sort of level of incompetence you're dealing with here, I need it ALL spelling out!!

Thanks for your help dudes, it's much appreciated....

Old 12-28-2013, 01:17 PM   #14

Quote:
Having stripped all useless unnecessary detritus from the bike, I've found multiple nests of small creatures, a whole load of rusted on bolts, and a couple of spots on the frame that need welding, on the rear engine mount brackets..
If there was any doubt before...you have a Chinese bike!!

I know that member 'Oengus' likes dirt tracker style bikes, but he hangs out on mychinamoto.com under the name 'MJH' far more than here for some reason.

BTW, welcome! And some of my best friends that live near me are cactus...

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 12-28-2013, 02:42 PM   #15

Welcome!

I happen to be building a similar machine right now. If you examine the rear triangle (or subframe), you'll see a stud on either side that doesn't seem to have a purpose. On the left side, it is located just above and to the left of the battery, and there is another on the right in a coresponding spot. The frame is almost identical to the early 80's Honda XR185 / XR200, and those studs would be used for twin shocks. If you want to get the bike a little lower (and more street tracker-like), twin XR200 shocks on the back and XR200 forks on the front is one way to go.

As well, the early XR200 gas tank is almost a drop-on fit, since the frames are so similar. I haven't sorted the front wheel out yet, other than lacing an 18" rim to the XR200 front hub and using the drum brake.

You and I can compare notes as we go along.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Tags
125, apache, por, scrambler, street