Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Other Brands
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-04-2015, 10:50 AM   #1

Problem with this 1985 Honda 200s atc ,slack in shifter

Hi i bought a 1985 honda 200s for 150. Its in good condition but the shifter has a 1/2 of play and feels like there two gears when I drive it because its idle is in first gear no neutral . So down is first and up is faster. I see the jamnut on the dipstick side to adjust it .thats what im going to try first but could there be another cause to check before opening the case if the adjustment doesn't work?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg brad1.jpg (48.8 KB, 237 views)
File Type: jpg brad2.jpg (48.3 KB, 178 views)
File Type: jpg brad3.jpg (43.4 KB, 175 views)
File Type: jpg brad4.jpg (44.8 KB, 192 views)

motorcycle: lifan dual sport "crankenstein"
Born of parts from all over the globe,laying rubber in a town near you!

Old 12-04-2015, 10:58 AM   #2

It has an automatic clutch I assume?

Check out www.dansmc.com. He has an article there on how to adjust a Honda automatic clutch. I suspect that may be your problem. Looks like a great deal on the ATV. Have a great time but watch the turns!

Old 12-04-2015, 11:00 AM   #3

BTW the Ford Ranger is the Official Approved Pickup Truck of Chinariders! Good choice!

Old 12-04-2015, 12:33 PM   #4

That engine uses a centrifugal clutch plus a conventional clutch. The conventional clutch is actuated by the centrifugal unit, which is why the right side engine cover sticks out so far.

I'm not exactly sure what symptom you're describing. Please try to explain it again.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 12-04-2015, 02:48 PM   #5

I'm not up on that particular engine but a common problem that stops many engines from shifting properly is a loose shift drum stopper bolt. Some auto clutches use 3 ball bearings to actuate the clutch and will not work if 1 or more are out of place. Chances are good though that if the clutch adjustment doesn't solve the problem you'll find the problem under the clutch cover.

Old 12-04-2015, 08:03 PM   #6

"So down is first and up is faster."

This confuses me a bit, I had an ATC185s that I pretty much completely wore out and all of it's gears were down. When you were shifting it you just released the gas and pushed down on the shifter for the next higher hear. Is yours only going into first?

Old 12-05-2015, 10:09 AM   #7

I really bought this for my disabled friend cause he can't do much any more. I want him to be able to get out and ride trails with me. All he does is sit inside ,to me thats a slow boring death. I figured this would be the cheapest way to do it ( I can't afford a auto wheeler)

OK mcrider you had a atc185 the pattern was the opposite ,you shift down for a higher gear .Mine is 85 so I shift up for a higher gear. This wheeler feels like it has two gears ,like when gear shift is in normal rest position it is able to go down (first I assume cause these had no neutral) and I take off then I feel its time to shift pull up( high gear, this is it) and thats it .It goes very good(feel like 25mph or more). will not do anything besides that and has a ton of play in shifter.

Last edited by demidestructo; 12-05-2015 at 10:48 AM.

Old 12-05-2015, 10:29 AM   #8

I know theres a adjustment on the dipstick side with a jamnut.Mine is out of adjustment because the other wheelers I seen the jamnut was under flush. meaning that they had the bolt screwed way out on my wheeler, when on the videos I seen the bolt didnt even goes past the nut. I had a tube put in the tire.

Thanks fast doc , I like the ranger after I rebuilt it with good parts and the 2.3 lima engine is a bulletproof engine. I had a merkur xr4ti and it had 2.3 turbo .I built it up and beat it . I welded rear end and ran auto-x with it. I like your drz you have thats a beautiful bike.

ok mudflap , so you think it could be shift fork bent maybe ? I just don't want to put that much more money in it. I really want a easy to start wheeler thats reliable that my disabled friend can ride. Hes a big guy that doesnt have much foot power or he can't use a clutch.

Old 12-05-2015, 03:50 PM   #9

It actually sounds like more wrong than just a clutch adjustment. If your only getting 2 gears (?) I'm guessing you'll have to split the cases to see what's up.

Can you shift through all the gears when the engine isn't running by moving the shifter and rocking the trike to get it to engage the gears?

Old 12-05-2015, 04:59 PM   #10

Thank you micrider , I forgot to say that . When its at rest I can feel five gears but I have to click slowly up with my hand. I maybe could do it while running but never by foot. the person its for doesn't need to go that fast anyways but I'm sure it will break if i keep riding it like this.

Old 12-05-2015, 11:52 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by demidestructo View Post
Thank you micrider , I forgot to say that . When its at rest I can feel five gears but I have to click slowly up with my hand. I maybe could do it while running but never by foot. the person its for doesn't need to go that fast anyways but I'm sure it will break if i keep riding it like this.
I know you likely checked this already, but how is the spline on the shift shaft?

Old 12-06-2015, 02:05 AM   #12

Quote:
I really bought this for my disabled friend cause he can't do much any more. I want him to be able to get out and ride trails with me. All he does is sit inside ,to me thats a slow boring death. I figured this would be the cheapest way to do it ( I can't afford a auto wheeler)

OK mcrider you had a atc185 the pattern was the opposite ,you shift down for a higher gear .Mine is 85 so I shift up for a higher gear. This wheeler feels like it has two gears ,like when gear shift is in normal rest position it is able to go down (first I assume cause these had no neutral) and I take off then I feel its time to shift pull up( high gear, this is it) and thats it .It goes very good(feel like 25mph or more). will not do anything besides that and has a ton of play in shifter.

You are a good friend and a class act. Proud to know you.

Old 12-06-2015, 08:35 AM   #13

Thanks Fast doc , thats means a lot coming for someone as well regarded as you. I see you on here post after post helping people out. So you also are a good person helpin people you don't know.

All the mods on here are great, huge wealth of knowledge and seeing as how china bike are how alot of people were introduced to motorcycles.

Yes, I checked the splines on the shaft they were great.I sent this to a guy I know to get ready to run, he found it had rust in the tank .So he "cleaned it" and put it back together without a fuel filter ,right after he cleaned the carb so it ran for 20 min then jammed up again. So I old him to do it again with a fuel filter .So I can clean and fix it if he doesn't know how.

Then he told me hes going to have to open up the trans,after he charged me 100 to clean carb and rinse out the gas tank. So I told him to adjust it and thats it.

He told me it didn't have a neutral is this true? I don't think he knows whats what . Its missing a lever on the clutch side also.

i would have and now should have done this myself but I been taking peoples shift cause they want time off for the holidays. I don't have anything to go to so I just take the shifts.

Old 12-06-2015, 08:45 AM   #14

Quote:
Yes, I checked the splines on the shaft they were great.I sent this to a guy I know to get ready to run, he found it had rust in the tank .So he "cleaned it" and put it back together without a fuel filter ,right after he cleaned the carb so it ran for 20 min then jammed up again. So I old him to do it again with a fuel filter .So I can clean and fix it if he doesn't know how.

Then he told me hes going to have to open up the trans,after he charged me 100 to clean carb and rinse out the gas tank. So I told him to adjust it and thats it.

He told me it didn't have a neutral is this true? I don't think he knows whats what . Its missing a lever on the clutch side also.
Yup, all the ATC's had a neutral. The missing lever on the clutch side would be for the rear brake.
Absolutely fantastic machines though! I grew up on a farm and saved my dollars for that 185s, we were inseparable for years! Until I finally wore the old girl out

Old 12-08-2015, 02:30 PM   #15

Ok looks like I have to fix either a bent shift fork or a broken shift fork in the 1985 honda 200s. Any tips on what to look for and do four wheelers use same trans components? If so with ones? . I have the xr200r motor with all parts for top end rebuild. I would love to but Im sure I would lose semi auto and since he cant use clutch. ..thats out. Anybody have a solution? Thanks guys