Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Registration Issues

Old 03-13-2024, 10:57 AM   #91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
Oh. I clearly missed that. But the thing about TC-661 is just not true. Used, yes, but NEW with Motorcycle Certificate of Origin (MCO, which all Templars come with), No, not needed:

"The state DMV website states if you purchase from a dealer out of state you will need form TC-661 Certificate of Inspection to verify the VIN"

This only applies to used vehicles. I am sure of it.

Glad panzer77 was successful though.
If you read the first line of the TC-661 it states: Units registered in the State of Utah for the first time (except new units sold by licensed and bonded Utah dealers) must be inspected to verify the vehicle/hull identification number. The safety inspection was not necessary. Both were only $20 so I got it while at the inspection station to avoid a possible 2nd trip to the DMV.

Old 03-13-2024, 11:23 AM   #92

Quote:
Originally Posted by panzer77 View Post
If you read the first line of the TC-661 it states: Units registered in the State of Utah for the first time (except new units sold by licensed and bonded Utah dealers) must be inspected to verify the vehicle/hull identification number. The safety inspection was not necessary. Both were only $20 so I got it while at the inspection station to avoid a possible 2nd trip to the DMV.
No one likes to be turned away at DMV! That is still crazy since you have an original MCO and Invoice/Bill of Sale walking in. THe MCO is from the manufacturer! You covered that base, wisely.

But based on this post, it may depend on which office you go to. I am not surprised that he got away without the TC form. Some license bureaus are sticklers, others not so:
https://www.chinariders.net/showthre...TAH#post302519

I am not sure what "come and match the VIN" means, but it sounds like the parking lot at the DMV office. It does not sounds like he took it to State Police inspection station beforehand.

Old 03-13-2024, 11:57 AM   #93

I covered my backside the same way when I registered the Templar X here in MO. Went and got a safety inspection "just in case" because my MCO said Off-Road Motorcycle.
I'd rather take a couple of minutes to visit my favorite sketchy inspection station than wait in line at the DMV and then have to go back again another day because the clerk was having a bad day.

Old 03-13-2024, 12:20 PM   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie_in_MO View Post
I covered my backside the same way when I registered the Templar X here in MO. Went and got a safety inspection "just in case" because my MCO said Off-Road Motorcycle.
I'd rather take a couple of minutes to visit my favorite sketchy inspection station than wait in line at the DMV and then have to go back again another day because the clerk was having a bad day.
You must have the State safety inspection if your MCO has "Off-road Motorcycle" in the vehicle type field. I bought two Templars, and had to request a revised MCO from PSM to correct it to "Motorcycle". I registered/plated both (and my Storm) without VIN verification or saftery inspection. Geico insured them. All three were crate bikes shipped from a Dallas suburb.

I think PSM sell more ATVs and pit bikes than bikes with all lights/mirrors/horn... I think some MCO get printed wrong by mistake. They've been great about correcting it for our Templar crowd, and a few Hawk buyers as well.

I am working on adding lights/horn/mirrors to my KTM so I can ride it on the road when I plate it. I am waiting for a title search because the dealer in Minnesota accepted it as a trade in and PO never titled it. My DMV sez it has a "skipped assignment" ! I have the original MCO from KTM North America with multiple assignments on the back. It definitely sez motorcycle for "body type" and should not need safety inspection. I got the ID/OD (VIN verification) at an inspection station since it is technically "used" with less than 1 hour on the hour meter, and from out of State. We will see.

Missouri no longer requires safety inspection on vehicles with less than 150k miles. So I don't need safety inspection when I renew registration on the Storm or the Templar in Missouri.

Old 03-13-2024, 12:24 PM   #95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
You must have the State safety inspection if your MCO has "Off-road Motorcycle" in the vehicle type field.

Even that depends on the clerk. The one I worked with didn't even look at the safety inspection and said "oh, you don't need that because the bike is brand new" and she didn't care what the MCO said in the "type" field. As always with the DMV, your mileage may vary!
Hope things work out smoothly on your KTM

Old 03-13-2024, 01:17 PM   #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikd View Post
Looks like NJ is a no go for registering a Templar, the manufacturer isn't listed in thier database and powersportsmax isn't interested in contacting them to have the name added. .
Took me a couple of tries to get "Zuma" added to the South Carolina manufacturer database. You just have to find the right person at the DMV who can and will make it happen. And OMG good luck with that.