Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Media/Reviews/Classifieds/Sponsors > Free Classifieds > Wanted
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-24-2017, 04:50 PM   #1

Disabled kid's ATV 110cc or 125cc

Anybody have a disabled kid's ATV laying around?

So I got this crazy idea. I have this Kinetic TFR moped.

Long story short but I've had allot of issues with the 50cc engine. When it was running, the thing had no torque going up hills of any major grade. I guess this things were made for flat urban areas.

Here's some more photos if anybody is interested:

http://s222.photobucket.com/user/tur...?sort=2&page=1

Tennessee has some new law now that anything with a motor (except a bicycle with a motor kit) has to be tagged. The reason a motorized "bicycle" does not have to be registered is there is no VIN on it. There is some debate as to what the definition of a motorized bicycle actually is. But anyway, since I don't need a motorcycle licence for anything under 125cc, and I have to put a tag on it, why not put a bigger motor on it?

My idea was to mount preferably a 125cc engine on it. I've found some Lifan engines on Ebay but they are over $200 and don't come with a carburetor or muffler. I don't know if a 110cc would give me the torque I need. I guess it would be double that of a 50cc engine.

I'm not planning on building something that is going to exceed 60 mph. Just something that would make it up most hills and go about 45 mph on flat land.

I've been looking for some disabled kid's ATVs locally but to no avail. Finding the whole thing would be great since it would have the carburetor and exhaust with it plus I can use the cradle from the ATV and just weld some mounts to it and bolt it to the moped.

Here is a 79 Indian moped some guy installed a larger Lifan engine on.

Old 05-24-2017, 05:35 PM   #2

The 110 Honda horizontal clone full auto atv engine is a gutless turd in a bike ,I have a brand new one here and the one that came out of the quad you have the axle from .They would be good in a little kids 50 cc ,but top out about 25 mph in a two wheeler .If you can swing a 110,125 semi auto ,or a full manual ,we get z50's and ct70's near 60 mph with them ,scary on 8" and 10" tires ,lots of power for your bike .I think the best value is the piranha 140 cc engine ,true 70 mph for a very good price ,and good reliable engine .The 195 cc ones are more powerful again ,but too much trouble with broken stuff to be worth the investment .I often find broken pitbikes for engine doners ,often a bad carb or cdi ,or a broken rear wheel or frame ,usually under $50.00 ,have paid double that for a very nice bike with fancy parts I can part out .Lots of kids don't know how to fix them ,and think it's garbage ,the extra parts I often keep a few weeks ,then when I see a kid looking for a few parts that is interested in fixing these bikes I give the extra parts to him .

Old 05-26-2017, 08:35 AM   #3

There is a motorcycle junkyard about 50 miles from here that may have a bunch of 125cc engines. I may give them a call before I drive down there.

Here is a Lifan 125cc package I'm looking at:

http://www.pccmotor.com/lifan-125cc-motor-eng.html

I need/prefer an engine with an automatic clutch but has four gears. A co-worker has a vintage 81 Honda CT110 like this one I envy every time I see it out in the parking lot:

The main reason is since this moped doesn't have a foot brake, I need to keep both cable operated hand brakes because both handles have brake light switches.

A few things I need to keep in mind. I'm pretty sure I need two mirrors which are built into the hand brakes. Also there are switches like the headlight, horn button, turn signal on the left handlebar. The only switches on the right hand side is the kill switch and the second brake light switch.

Of course I could find all this stuff on Ebay if I have to change it over. Just more stuff to buy.

However I could use this dual brake handle with brake light switch to control both brakes with a single brake handle and use the other hand brake to operate the clutch.

Here is a 125cc engine with an automatic clutch but does not have four speeds. So having a one speed transmission might not be that much better than the 50cc engine that came on it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/112265216723...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

How to mount this engine to a moped:

I was looking at the engine on my 110cc ATV. There appears to be only two mounts at the back of the engine. Am I looking at this correct?

Looks like there should be a mount on the front of the engine for extra support.

One other concern. I'm going to have to cut the engine support off this moped. I'm not sure how this is going to affect the stretch of the chassis. Hard to explain without a good photo.

Im sure it can be done. Just a matter of figuring it out.

I'm one of those people who likes a good challenge when it comes to mechanical stuff. Where most people work out physically in a gym, I work out mentally in my garage!

Like that 110cc ATV. Where most people who have just given up on trying to find the correct parts to fit it, I made something else work on it. I really appreciate the axle assembly you sent me.

Old 05-26-2017, 01:27 PM   #4

The engine you just posted is exactly the one I would avoid for your bike ,it's a three speed full auto ( at least they usually are ) and a complete dog in a two wheeler .It would be slower than a z50 .Those engines are really wide so might be hard to mount
I just told my son today we should build up a few of the trail 90's I own ,he goes fishing everyday with his friends ,he doesn't really like the step through design ,but I think it will win him over if we set them up well .One even came with a spare set of rims with snow chains on the tires .

Old 05-26-2017, 01:30 PM   #5

Sorry ,I forgot but Yes ,the horizontals hang on two bolts ,the Honda 90cc and larger models have slightly different bolt placement than the smaller engines ,and all the clones use the smaller bolt pattern .If you find a junk bike for your engine ,just cut the section of frame with the mounts to adapt to your moped .

Old 05-26-2017, 07:24 PM   #6

Is this the engine you are recommending?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Piranha-140c...VYUZ-R&vxp=mtr

The main reason I wanted to stick with 125 ccs is anything over 125 ccs, requires a motorcycle licence.

https://www.tn.gov/assets/entities/s...ycleManual.pdf

Of course I could always get one but when I took my driver's test back in 1986, it was nothing. I just walked into the Mall (seriously) and a state trooper got in the car with me and 30 minutes later I had my licence. I already had my learner's permit so I didn't have to retake the 20 multiple question test over again.

Now you have to make an appointment, get to the office at 3 am (depending upon which county) to get a place in line, then wait all day long to get a driver's or motorcycle licence. Just not worth my time. Most likely due to the population explosion, state spending cuts (less people), and the state combining other applications at the same office. Like half the people waiting in line are there to get a concealed weapons permit!

At any rate, my friend says his Honda CT110 4 speed semi-automatic will go 45 mph on flat land. Of course I could just buy one of these but a good one sells for a pretty penny.

I just wanted to build something to tool around town in and ride back and fourth to work occasionally on weekends when I am 100% it's not going to rain. I needs to go at least 45 mph on flat land and 30 mph up most hills.

I don't need something with allot of metal between my legs!

I'm going to give that motorcycle junkyard a call. If I were looking for a used 125 cc engine from a Japanese bike, what would be a good one to look for?

Old 05-26-2017, 08:56 PM   #7

Yes ,that is a very good engine ,so is its manual clutch brother ,and they also have them in smaller sizes .Many pit bike engines have the cylinder marked as 50 cc for registration purposes ,making that go away if it was cast or stamped larger shouldn't take more than a minute .That 140 will drop you on your butt if you aren't careful .

Old 05-26-2017, 10:13 PM   #8

I don't know if this is unique to this engine or what but I like the fact the carburetor is facing toward the front of the engine. I suppose it's possibly to do the same on my 110 cc ATV if for some reason I wanted to. Just reverse the intake manifold 180 degrees. Sorry for these large photos!

Here's the same engine with the carburetor and air cleaner mounted the opposite direction (without the starter motor):

Also the motor is mounted on a stand with four bolts on the bottom of the engine. So I guess I could use this as a forward engine mount.

Reason being is the engine is going to have to sit under the tubular frame. So I could mount the engine so the carburetor and air cleaner are just ahead of where the body makes it's bend (ahead of the foot rests) as long as it clears the front fender if that makes sense:

The foot pegs and the piece under the body that the original motor bolts to is going to have to be removed (and foot pegs relocated). I don't know if this piece serves any purpose as far as making the body more rigid.

I don't know how hard these engine are to kick start. The seller lists an engine without a starter or transmission and the instructions seems like it's a booger.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Piranha-140c...8sSKRw&vxp=mtr

But I could remove the starter (and won't need a battery) to gain extra clearance.

My concern is by the time I mount this engine I'm going to have 2" of clearance between the engine and pavement.

Old 05-26-2017, 11:45 PM   #9

That stand is bolted to the foot peg mounts ,you can use that as an engine mount no problem ,there are many dozens of manifolds for these engines ,different heights ,curves,all kinds of possibilities ,even manifolds that swivel so you can put the carb in almost any direction .Cutting up a manifold and welding it back together at a different angle or elevation is fairly straightforward.There are all different pipes as well ,some better than others ,but down and up pipes are available ,truly the possibilities are endless .I think that electric starter on top might not work well with your blue bike with the flat blue area on top of the engine ,I prefer a kick starter ,but there is also a low mount electric starter as well that would work fine on a street type bike .

Old 05-27-2017, 10:23 PM   #10

What is the "gold thing" protruding from the bottom of the crankcase? I've seen this one several engines on Ebay but have no idea what it's purpose is. Kick starter?

By the way, I've yet to find one of these engines with a bottom mounted electric starter.

Old 05-27-2017, 11:15 PM   #11

It's where the gear lever attachs to....
kick starter is on the other side.."right"

77 Montesa Cota 348 MRR "Malcom Rathnell Replica"...

Current resto projects..
81 Honda CT110...
80 Kawasaki KL250A1...

11 Husaburg TE125 enduro... "sold" along with another 31...
Lifan 125 Pitbike.. "stolen" ...

KIWI BIKER FORUM...... http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/content.php

All the best offroad rides in NZ...
http://www.remotemoto.com/

E-mail... xtpete1@gmail.com