Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-28-2021, 04:03 PM   #1

MC. Skills test for license on Chinese dual sport ?

I live in a state that requires either passing a DMV given skills test, or taking,and passing an instructor taught course. I can get a 90 day daylight only permit , and I will get one to get some actual legal road time in before I try for my endorsement. I think the skills test is pretty standard for several states, and consist of manuvering at slow speed between cones spaced 12 foot apart, without putting your foot down, and turning in a small corner, an a U turn in a small space. I saw a video were they guy recommended taking the test on a scooter, because it is nearly impossible to pass on certain bikes. Have any of you passed this test on a Chinese Dual sport?

Old 02-28-2021, 04:28 PM   #2

My state had the same test. I was not as prepared as you are. I showed up with a ninja ZX7. Of course, I was just a 19-year-old kid. But, it was definitely no fun riding that thing with the clutch half out around those cones. Meanwhile, my friend borrowed a moped and took the test laughing the whole way through. Somehow I thought they would test your ability to ride. Not to negotiate a parking lot.

Your best bet is definitely to get a scooter for that. Rent one. Borrow one. I think the dual sport would be a lot easier than my ZX-7 was. But still not as good as a scooter.

Old 02-28-2021, 05:02 PM   #3

I took the test on my TMEC 200 dual-sport. In retrospect, once I bought my 150cc TGB scooter, I realized that it would have been a far easier bike to pass the test on, but the TMEC was easy enough.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 02-28-2021, 05:53 PM   #4

If you ride it a bit, you shouldn't have any problem passing the test, and I'm of the opinion based on riders I've seen before, working at a dealership, etc. that it's better to learn to handle the equipment you've got, rather than taking the easy way out.

Honestly though, it's probably best to take the course if you don't already ride, and it can lower insurance for you. I'm not the most incredible rider ever, but I took and passed the Illinois test on a Honda CRF250L the second time I took the test, I failed the first time because I accidentally wheelied the bike out of nerves.

Old 02-28-2021, 06:27 PM   #5

I took my endorsement test on a Hawk DLX EFI. It was easy & fun to do - I loved the stop distance test. When I came to a stop, he looked at me, looked at the bike, looked back at me and said, "You shouldn't be able to stop that fast on those tires."

Good luck!

g.

Old 02-28-2021, 06:30 PM   #6

In my state you can go on line and see the actual tests. If you can do that, I would get some cheap cones off amazon, set up the tests and practice the actual tests. It will help when under pressure. I agree with Franque though a good course lowers insurance and you will learn something. I took one we practiced the test for 1 and half days, then took it, even then some failed.

Old 02-28-2021, 06:51 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by China Rider 27 View Post
In my state you can go on line and see the actual tests. If you can do that, I would get some cheap cones off amazon, set up the tests and practice the actual tests. It will help when under pressure. I agree with Franque though a good course lowers insurance and you will learn something. I took one we practiced the test for 1 and half days, then took it, even then some failed.
The course here in West Virginia cost $100, and is 17 hrs long, from what I have gathered, so I don't know how many days they divide it into. I live about halfway between Parkersburg, and Charleston, both cities offer the course at certain times. I would much rather take the course in Parkersburg than South Charleston. I64 can be a nightmare certain times a day on that stretch of 64. I will hold off on getting my 90 day permit until I register the bike in about a month if all goes well, and maybe I will feel more confident. I have been riding up the road to were some storage units are in a gravel lot just right off the road, and I go down one aisle , and up the other to turn. I have to put a foot down to make the turn between aisles. I can tell that is an area I need to practice on.

Old 02-28-2021, 08:01 PM   #8

Taking and passing the parking lot based "skills" (snerk) test on any of the Chinese dual sports should be easy. They're low powered and quite lightweight, so should be easy enough and confidence inspiring to sling around at low speed. Mine certainly is. I would ensure that all of your controls are in proper operating condition first, i.e. clutch cable is adjusted, not a bunch of slack in the throttle, etc. so you're not fighting with the machine the whole way.

Re: the scooter idea. I'm not a huge fan of the idea of taking the easy way out and using a little scooter, or even a markedly smaller bike than your daily ride, just for the test. If you don't have the skills to get an already small actual motorcycle through what passes for the exam, I would argue that you probably should have some more seat time anyway before being handed your full license. (FWIW, my state actually does not allow you to "cheat" by showing up with a twist-and-go scooter for the test. No word on what happens if you turn up with a Honda DCT, or something.) If you run into a situation out in the real world where you have to dodge an obstacle in the road or stop in a hurry it's no sense having your only experience being on a 50cc scoot and not the bike you'll actually be riding. You can't pause the world, go switch bikes, and then resume handling your emergency stop or whatever it is.

Anyway, my Bashan Enforcer is so light that I can basically treat it like a trials bike. Your mileage may vary based on how big and tall you are... Not to toot my own horn or anything, but I can ride it around feet on the pegs at idle, and stand up on the pegs balancing it at a complete stop indefinitely. Or at least until I got bored.

Some perspective: I took my parking lot exam on a KLR650 and passed with no trouble. If I even owned my Bashan at that point in time, I probably could have passed with my eyes closed.

Old 02-28-2021, 08:57 PM   #9

When I did the course, they provided the bikes and I didn't have the HAWK together yet. Most of the bikes were Cruisers Suzuki 250 probably 30 inch seat height. Beat to death dropped weekly. I passed the test with one after practicing during the course. I will say I believe they are much easier to test on I think than the HAWK or similar. They are much better at slow speed maneuverability and that is the key to testing. The HAWK is a dirt bike with a high rake and high front end, maybe higher center of gravity, that does not lend itself well to slow speed turns. Can you pass the test on one, absolutely. They key is practice, the right kind, right before the test, the actual test if at all possible.

I taught my girlfriend to ride from scratch on a Honda Grom clone. She was going to take the course on it to pass the test. Night before the test I ran a drill bit into my hand and I could not load it up. She went to the two day course and was given a Suzuki 250 and she passed. She knew the test, she had shown she could pass the test with the Hellcat, all she had to do was learn the bike.

Old 02-28-2021, 09:01 PM   #10

I work part time in the summer as a skills test administrator for the safety council motorcycle training course in my state, just as a qualification of my experience.

Most of these dual sports would be ok for doing the test on. However, they also have some drawbacks to them. If you can't flat foot, you are at a disadvantage. Their high seat position also makes them very top heavy with a rider, so shifting your weight around can be a little more tricky for certain maneuvers. As previously stated off road knobby tires can make things a bit more tricky.

The best thing you can do was already mentioned. All of the tests are listed online. Look them up, and then practice them. The U-turn test, corner brake, "cone dodge" (low speed weave) and obstacle avoidance tests are the ones that catch most people out.

Some empty cans or other cone substitute and a parking lot are all you need.
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Old 03-01-2021, 04:10 AM   #11

Oh, I forgot to mention this on my last post, but depending on the state, some don't allow you to test with a scooter for a MC endorsement. Mine is one of them, and we have different endorsements and tests for the various types. This basically means you have to ride a motorcycle for the MC endorsement, Scooter for the scooter endorsement, Trike for Trike endorsement. Some states even go as far as to have a auto only stipulation connected with the MC Endorsement now that Honda has released so many DCT bikes on the market, because now their scooter endorsement makes less sense, since it only exists due to the auto only nature of scooters.

The M endorsement is the one to get though as it means you can operate all variants of the motorcycle, such as scoots and trikes.
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Old 03-01-2021, 07:00 AM   #12

Riding schools -if you can call them that- in Greece used the smallest/easiest bike they could get away with for a given category -practically, a scooter or underbone motorcycle for A1 licenses (though that would also result in an "auto only" or "auto clutch only" stipulation), and a small, skinny bike such as an Kawasaki AR50/ Honda MB5 for riding "with gears".

Something like a Honda CB250 would be used for the "bigger" A2 motorcycle license, which automatically turned into a full A license after a few years, depending on the age of the rider.

Some even used an oldschool Piaggio Vespa PX200 for the latter purpose, as it did have a hand-operated clutch and twist-grip gears

Last edited by ChillRider; 03-01-2021 at 08:44 AM. Reason: Suzuki -> Kawasaki

Old 03-01-2021, 10:18 AM   #13

I took my Washington state test on a 250CC cruiser that was a loaner from the course. I had a little trouble (Flunked) with the figure 8 that was required during the test but passed all the other tests thus getting my endorsement. After getting my Hawk I realized it would be a piece of cake had I taken it with my Hawk. (so much more maneuverable at slow speeds) My son and daughter took the test with a 50CC Ruckus and passed. The only thing that was tough on that bike was getting it up to speed at the allotted distance for breaking.
2018 QIYI Coolster 150cc Quad
2019 QIYI Coolster 125cc Quad
2020 Hawk 250cc (Brand New work in progress)
2021 Roughhouse 50 (neat little scooter for the wife)

I may not be fast but I am "Half-Fast"

Old 03-01-2021, 04:50 PM   #14

I put insurance on my bike , and took my paperwork to a title service in town, and now have a temporary tag on my bike till the metal plate comes in. I will still have to go to the DMV in Point Pleasant to take my written test for my 90 temporary motorcycle permit, but to me it was worth the fee of $30.00 to let the title service deal with getting it titled, and registered. I hope to take my written test Wednesday, or Thursday.

Old 03-01-2021, 06:56 PM   #15

When I took my m/c road-test in 1970 (in Cooperstown, NY) it was a road-test,..in and around the streets of Cooperstown,....being followed by my brother driving his car, the Brownie riding with him, observing, and giving directions: one honk, turn left....2 honks, turn right,...3 honks, pull over and come to a stop. I took the test on a 1965 Suzuki 80cc HillBilly. Hate to say, but failed the test.....and also the next scheduled test (same bike),..but passed the third time..that was the charm...riding a 1969 Yamaha 250 DS6C Scrambler.
2019 Brozz 250