Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-12-2023, 06:00 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBeardedVagabond View Post
Is this the correct size to adjust the valves on the KPX 250? I have been trying to use tools not made for it and it is a pain in the a**. Wanted to avoid ordering the set of 3 if I could save the money and get just the 1 right size. Thanks in advance.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...NJJP1U27&psc=1
Nice tool, BUT WAIT!!!!!

The stem looks too short to reach the deep set valve in your 172FMM, that looks like a square socket (cg clone, not 172FMM), AND my 172FMM (Templar X) has a flathead slot on the tappet.
Is this a squarehead tappet in the Lifan?

Click image for larger version

Name:	IntakeGap.JPG
Views:	47
Size:	324.1 KB
ID:	29172

Maybe I am wrong, but if it is a combination wrench or open end wrench (spanner), it seems a bit too shallow unless you use the open end, at an angle!
The access ports are slanted wrt the head/valve seat.

I use a 10mm deep box end ("offset boxend", 12 point). I have the same engine. This is a low torque locknut, so 12point is OK and gives you twice as many positions. I got a full set (metric) eight wrenches for $16 at Harbor fright. Yeah. It's scary

Last edited by Thumper; 05-12-2023 at 08:02 PM.

Old 05-12-2023, 06:21 PM   #47

10mm spanner and some needle nose pliers seem to do ok for me.

Old 05-13-2023, 06:32 PM   #48

Here is a picture of a good tool to tension the locknut when you are doing the valve adjustment on the Templar. It is a 12 point, so you can place it in twice as many places as a combination or open wrench (spanner), and it seats completely around the nut (not angled). The pic in post 46 above shows the access. Offset 12 point boxend wrench is just awesome for this.

Name:	offset wrench.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	25.7 KB
ID:	29181

I use this because the tappet has a flathead slot. It gives you real nice control over how much tension you place on the nut.

My CG clone in the Storm has a squarehead tappet, so I use this tool. You can see the square socket on the long end of the tappet tool. The same square socket is on the other end of the Tee (two sizes, one each end of the Tee).

Name:	BothTools.JPG
Views:	37
Size:	140.9 KB
ID:	29182

Name:	ValveAdjustToolPackage.JPG
Views:	35
Size:	136.7 KB
ID:	29183

Last edited by Thumper; 05-13-2023 at 07:40 PM.

Old 05-27-2023, 12:43 PM   #49

I am needing to adjust my chain and I don't have a socket big enough for the rear axle nut. Does anyone know the size of the large nut? I opened a wrench to the size and brought that to Harbor Freight and ended up with a 27mm, but that was too big. I would rather not buy a whole set as I have no need for a bunch of huge sockets.

Old 05-28-2023, 05:22 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBeardedVagabond View Post
I am needing to adjust my chain and I don't have a socket big enough for the rear axle nut. Does anyone know the size of the large nut? I opened a wrench to the size and brought that to Harbor Freight and ended up with a 27mm, but that was too big. I would rather not buy a whole set as I have no need for a bunch of huge sockets.
24mm

Old 05-28-2023, 07:23 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregsuz650 View Post
24mm
You can sub a 15/16th if you don't happen to have a 24mm. It's a very near equivalent, much like 3/4 and 19mm.
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Old 05-30-2023, 10:47 AM   #52

Thanks. Yeah ended up buying a set of large sockets and it was 24mm.

Old 05-30-2023, 04:44 PM   #53

I am jealous! But, I hope you enjoy it bro. I think you will.

Old 05-31-2023, 07:08 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapkin View Post
I am jealous! But, I hope you enjoy it bro. I think you will.
So far I am loving it. Had some difficulties but been able to fix any issues myself. It's my first bike so I don't have anything to compare to. My dumb ass didn't install the brake line good and over the first 250 miles I actually wore a hole in the line and had to replace that. But was a cheap fix and the front brake is much much much more responsive. So I am pretty sure they don't bleed the line well initially. Haven't went on the highway yet, but hit 65 on a back road yesterday and felt more stable than I expected.

Old 07-22-2023, 01:57 PM   #55

Finally got around to painting my bike (since I didn't like my attempted wrap job). Not perfect and a few spots I need to touch up when I get another can. Took 2 cans to (well I guess 3) to get all the white panels. Also got my very oversized (for this bike) top box. It's 65L but I plan to use it for food delivery so needed a large one. In the process of putting on the box I noticed one of my rear reflectors unscrewed and fell off at some point, and the other one behind the exhaust melted. Seems like a poor spot to put the reflector. Not a big deal since I am going to put a couple tape on ones on the back and sides of the box.

Last edited by TheBeardedVagabond; 07-22-2023 at 02:02 PM. Reason: Photos not showing

Old 02-12-2024, 08:51 PM   #56

So my rear tail rack broke. My idiot self decided to mount my tail box back a little bit to allow me to more easily swing my leg over. I am not very flexible and this bike is my height limit for a bike. Anyway since I mounted it back an extra inch or so it was bouncing too much when driving and eventually the rack snapped.

TLDR
Anyway what I'm getting at is does anyone know if the rack for the crf300 will fit? I think the crf300 and 250 have the same mount. And the basic model looks identical to the stock Lifan one. But I was wanting to get the slight bulkier one.
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mLoAcLc

Old 02-13-2024, 03:02 PM   #57

I would contact Lifan right away to ask for a warranty replacement. You should have to really overload the rack for it to break. I've had nearly 30 pounds on my rack, way over the manufacturers stated (safe) weight limit without any problems. Its also much easier to mount the bike like you are mounting a horse. With the kickstand down, stand on the left foot peg and swing your right leg over. Much easier.

Old 02-13-2024, 03:10 PM   #58

I think it was my fault not the rack. If you look at the picture I posted earlier with it mounted. I had it mounted back quite a bit on the rack. So it bounced quite a bit when going over bumps. I also plan to travel and road trip on it so would like a bulkier rack anyway.

I already usually mount and dismount cowboy style if on good even or left leaning ground. But I do deliveries on the bike so have to get on and off a lot and often the parking spots aren't always great for the long kickstand.

Old 02-13-2024, 04:19 PM   #59

I see what you mean, but it never hurts to ask. Wouldn't be a bad thing to have an extra rack. :-)

Tags
lifan kpx 250, motovlog, txpowersports