Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > New Member Introductions
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-10-2014, 08:50 AM   #1

New guy from Ontario,Canada, with a question

Hi everyone, I have been riding bikes forever and now my two boys are riding too. The oldest outgrew his first bike so I got him a Gio x31 250. It has been a great bike for trail riding. My youngest son outgrew his pw80 so I got him a 2012 Gio x33 140cc. It ran great all last summer and in the fall when we put them away I put fuel stabilizer in both bikes, ran them for a while and then drained the carbs. Last week I get them out and the x31 250 starts and runs fine. The x33 140 started up and idles, but could not get it to rev up, all it does when you give it throttle is bog, spit, sputter and sometimes back fire. So I take the carb off, take it all apart and clean it with carb cleaner and compressed air and it still will not rev up. I take carb off again and still no difference. Put a new plug in, nothing. Drained all the fuel out of tank and put fresh gas in. Check coil and cdi box and both are good. Check all wire connections, take exhaust off, no nests. I took the carb off a couple more times and used a whole can of cleaner on them. Do you guys have any suggestions? Do you think it is the carb? or electrical? The young lad is itchin to ride.

Old 05-10-2014, 09:30 AM   #2

Welcome.

It sounds to me like a plugged jet in the carb. I use a piece of wire from a wire brush our something small like that to clean out jets.

Old 05-10-2014, 09:39 AM   #3

Katoranger, thanks for replying so quick, but I have done that a couple times already.

Old 05-10-2014, 09:43 AM   #4

It really sounds like a carb problem to me. I am not sure what if you cleaned the jets out.

Old 05-10-2014, 11:29 AM   #5

Welcome!

That would be my first guess as well. Did you actually remove both jets and (carefully) run something through them?

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 05-10-2014, 04:55 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind View Post
Welcome!

That would be my first guess as well. Did you actually remove both jets and (carefully) run something through them?
Thanks guys,I did take the jets out and clean every little hole I could find with very thin wire and carb cleaner a few times. I guess I can do it one more time and see what happens.

Old 05-10-2014, 06:22 PM   #7

Maybe the diaphram or something are there carburetor kits for your model when you store your bike you should run it out of gas that way your diaphram and carb internals stay dry.

Old 05-10-2014, 08:56 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by N3xT s3Qill View Post
Maybe the diaphram or something are there carburetor kits for your model when you store your bike you should run it out of gas that way your diaphram and carb internals stay dry.
I'm thinking it would probably be cheaper just to buy a whole new carb off ebay instead of the rebuild kit. Going to give it another cleaning tomorrow and see if that helps. And ya I always store my bikes, sleds, lawnmowers and snowblowers with fuel stabilizer and the carbs drained and this is the first time I have had a problem.

Old 05-11-2014, 01:26 AM   #9

Pitty maybe trace it from tank through the fuel filter to floats cause its usually the smallest thing too creating the problem.

Old 05-11-2014, 12:41 PM   #10

That's a good point. Maybe some plastic scrapnel inside the tank has clogged the strainer. Have you pulled it out for inspection? Do you use an inline filter?

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 05-11-2014, 06:05 PM   #11

I had a problem with one mower this spring. Dirt and grass was getting in the tank and fuel filter plugged. I used the compressor to blow out the lines backwards and also the filter. I need to replace the gas cap/fuel guage as it is missing the plastic cover letting debri in the tank.

Old 05-11-2014, 08:45 PM   #12

Doh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by N3xT s3Qill View Post
Pitty maybe trace it from tank through the fuel filter to floats cause its usually the smallest thing too creating the problem.
Took fuel line from fuel filter to carb off and ran some cleaner through it into a clean container and there was a lot of tiny black specks in the container. The filter never had anything in it so I'm thinking it was the line starting to break down. Are the original lines known to do this? Anyway I changed them all with new line and took carb all apart and cleaned everything with carb cleaner, compressed air and little wire. Set air fuel mixture at one and a half turns out. The bike starts right up but still won't rev up. Took carbs off and clean again, still the same.

Old 05-11-2014, 10:27 PM   #13

My Qlink did the same when the battery went bad.
2016 Tao Tao 125D

Old 05-12-2014, 10:50 AM   #14

One battle down, one to go.

When you say it won't rev up, does that mean it dies as soon as you open the throttle, or does it ignore you as if the cable is broken?

Old 05-12-2014, 11:59 AM   #15

Stock lines are not the best. I had the same thing on the lawnmower. Ethanol eats rubber lines.