Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Dealer & Distributor Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-03-2023, 03:07 PM   #16

Were you able to determine what the problem with the engine was? I'm at almost 8500 miles and hope I won't have to be doing an engine replacement!

Old 09-17-2023, 04:03 PM   #17

Good to know that Venum and Lifan will stand behind their stuff to buyers!

Old 09-17-2023, 06:37 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjn View Post
Good to know that Venum and Lifan will stand behind their stuff to buyers!
Well, yes. But this engine is a clone of the Zongshen 172FMM. Some folks on this website have made it a point that Lifan makes their own engines, with the implication that they are better for some reason. Of course, it is good that Venom is holding Lifan's feet to the fire. But I am more concerned that this standard old OHC engine design failed at all. Zongshen units are considered durable and dependable, worldwide.

How many of these 172 series engines do you think Zongshen has made/sold? Most have been carbed, not adapted for EFI. But the ZS172 series probably has 10x the number of units in service. And Zongshen makes many different engines. There are many, many manufacturers that place these dependable in generators, hydraulic equipment, quads, dirt bikes, road bikes and other industrial applications. You may have a high pressure washer with a ZS engine in it!

Just sayin...

Old 09-20-2023, 01:15 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
Well, yes. But this engine is a clone of the Zongshen 172FMM. Some folks on this website have made it a point that Lifan makes their own engines, with the implication that they are better for some reason. Of course, it is good that Venom is holding Lifan's feet to the fire. But I am more concerned that this standard old OHC engine design failed at all. Zongshen units are considered durable and dependable, worldwide.

How many of these 172 series engines do you think Zongshen has made/sold? Most have been carbed, not adapted for EFI. But the ZS172 series probably has 10x the number of units in service. And Zongshen makes many different engines. There are many, many manufacturers that place these dependable in generators, hydraulic equipment, quads, dirt bikes, road bikes and other industrial applications. You may have a high pressure washer with a ZS engine in it!

Just sayin...
Thumper, I wanted to find out about if Lifan or Zongshen builds Lifan engines so I contacted American Lifan. They said that Lifan does in fact build their own engines and not Zongshen, anything said to the otherwise is misinformation. I just wanted to share that so there isn’t confusion about that.
2022 Venom Ghost chopper 250
1997 Honda GL1500 Goldwing
1978 Kawasaki KL250
https://youtube.com/@herbiesgarage681

Old 09-21-2023, 10:48 AM   #20

I am well aware that Lifan makes their own engines. My point is that the Lifan 172 is basically identical to the ZS172 series. And, that ZS172 (Zongshen) is considered durable and highly dependable.

And as I said it is good that Venom motorsports is holding Lifan's feet to the fire, but I am more concerned that this Lifan 172 would fail in the first place. The engine is essentially identical to the ZS172 engine. In fact, I would bet that many parts are interchangeable. If I bought a KPX250, I might want to make upgrades or replace parts. I wonder if, or which ZS172 engine parts are interchangeable? There is a huge aftermarket for the 172 series.

I am sorry if someone thought I suggested that Lifan installed a ZS172 in the KPX. It is indeed a LIFAN 172 engine, EFI modified (which does not affect the internals that apparently failed). This sounds like a transmission issue.

Last edited by Thumper; 09-21-2023 at 01:40 PM.

Old 09-21-2023, 02:52 PM   #21

Quote:
I am well aware that Lifan makes their own engines. My point is that the Lifan 172 is basically identical to the ZS172 series. And, that ZS172 (Zongshen) is considered durable and highly dependable.

And as I said it is good that Venom motorsports is holding Lifan's feet to the fire, but I am more concerned that this Lifan 172 would fail in the first place. The engine is essentially identical to the ZS172 engine. In fact, I would bet that many parts are interchangeable. If I bought a KPX250, I might want to make upgrades or replace parts. I wonder if, or which ZS172 engine parts are interchangeable? There is a huge aftermarket for the 172 series.

I am sorry if someone thought I suggested that Lifan installed a ZS172 in the KPX. It is indeed a LIFAN 172 engine, EFI modified (which does not affect the internals that apparently failed). This sounds like a transmission issue.
Okay, I guess I misunderstood what you were saying and didn’t want confusion on the engine comparison. Sorry about that!
2022 Venom Ghost chopper 250
1997 Honda GL1500 Goldwing
1978 Kawasaki KL250
https://youtube.com/@herbiesgarage681

Old 09-21-2023, 03:55 PM   #22

I also know that our members have experienced some issues with Zongshen engines. Some of these issues have happened at very low miles. We do NOT have statistics on fail rates, but one key sentence in my post was that Zongshen probably has more than 10x the number of units (engines) in service. 10x more than Lifan, that is.

They sell LOTS of engines!!!

Also, Zongshen allows rebranding, so Zongshen engines have other logos on them !! It is possible, in fact, that some engine internals in the Lifan engines come from Zongshen manufacturing plants.

The clue to detecting this is that the engine ID stamp shows ZS172-xxx, or ZS167-xxc, for instance as model number. Many of Zongshen's clients don't bother to rebrand. Zongshen just supplies the engines. Zongshen is literally the "Honda" (clones) of China.

It would be instructive to have real data on fail rates on engines that are NOT mistreated. We could do an anecdotal pole but it would hardly be representative

Last edited by Thumper; 09-21-2023 at 04:28 PM.

Old 09-21-2023, 04:14 PM   #23

Last time I looked it up Zongshen was claiming to manufacture 2 million motorcycles annually. That is not including engine sales to other brands. And Zongshen Industrial Group is mainly OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer). Is a manufacturer and business partner for many famous brands like: Piaggio, Selva, Harley Davidson, Barbieri, BMW. And leader on garden machines industry. On their website they say over 4 million motorcycle engines annually. They say they have over 200 spare parts manufacturers supporting them.
- #42 / #120 Jets
- 1mm thick nitrile O-ring needle shim (removed)
- Kenda K761 Dual Sport Tires
- Sedona Standard Thickness Inner Tubes
- Stock OEM battery, carburetor, spark plug still going strong
- https://youtu.be/dhAYEKH-jFQ

1. Texas Pete's Templar X 250 Torque Specifications Sheet
  2. Texas Pete's Engine Displacement Calculator
  3. Texas Pete's Tire and Rim Compatibility

Old 09-21-2023, 04:46 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Pete View Post
Last time I looked it up Zongshen was claiming to manufacture 2 million motorcycles annually. That is not including engine sales to other brands. And Zongshen Industrial Group is mainly OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer). Is a manufacturer and business partner for many famous brands like: Piaggio, Selva, Harley Davidson, Barbieri, BMW. And leader on garden machines industry. On their website they say over 4 million motorcycle engines annually. They say they have over 200 spare parts manufacturers supporting them.
OK...It may be a conservative estimate that Zongshen makes/supplies more than 100x more engines worldwide than Lifan "assembles" for their product line. I suspect that Lifan is just a subcontractor for many of their engine components.

We know NOTHING about industry strife in China, and the quality control on contracts to subcontractors like Lifan. Conflicts can be regional, and in such a large manufacturing system, we have no idea of the relationship between cam makers, or crankshaft makers, or transmission part makers with their subcontract corps. Maybe they are getting top QC checked parts. Maybe there is no "politics" involved. It is a black box.

Sure. Make me laugh

Old 09-21-2023, 04:53 PM   #25

For what it is worth, this is how I look at my Templar X, and any other bike I may consider buying from China

I would love to buy a Kamax 2-stroke 250, and considering the Trailmaster TM38 as an alternative.

The Kamax looks just perfect, but there are no domestic distributers (shipping from China, OMG). The TM38 is heavier, but domestically available. And it doesn't have that nice Yamaha 2stroke clone.

So I am forced into the TM38. Hmmm. Not a bad alternative

Old 01-16-2024, 05:15 PM   #26

Maybe I should try the warranty. I lost the countershaft bearing on mine @ 11,000. I got frustrated pushed it to the side and bought a dr650 but it would be nice to fix

Old 01-16-2024, 07:27 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamg View Post
Maybe I should try the warranty. I lost the countershaft bearing on mine @ 11,000. I got frustrated pushed it to the side and bought a dr650 but it would be nice to fix
What is "mine" @ 11,000 ?

What bike are you talking about? Nothing in your signature.

btw- Welcome to the forum

Old 01-17-2024, 09:00 AM   #28

Quote:
What is "mine" @ 11,000 ?

What bike are you talking about? Nothing in your signature.

btw- Welcome to the forum
Same bike as this thread is about .. Lifan KPX 250. Was a good bike but I go on long distance trips....luckily the transmission failed close to home. Not my first bike I keep up maintenance...think it was long term highway rpms that did her in.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20230529_151722687.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	2.04 MB
ID:	30678  

Old 01-17-2024, 09:12 AM   #29

If the bike is less than 2 years old and under 12,000 miles, the warranty should cover it. The few post I've seen on warranty, Lifan has taken care of those customers.
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 01-17-2024, 09:21 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryHawk250 View Post
If the bike is less than 2 years old and under 12,000 miles, the warranty should cover it. The few post I've seen on warranty, Lifan has taken care of those customers.
Yeah I will get on the phone later today. Even if I need to buy an engine id like to fix it for a spare bike....so friends can ride with me. It's about one year since purchase but was only 5 months old when it failed. I shouldn't have given up but I just wrote it off as should have bought Japanese to begin with

Tags
kpx250, transmission, venom motorsports