Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-19-2009, 06:32 PM   #1

Looking For a How To motard a Dual Sport

My bike is a lifan knockoff Viva 200 . Has anyone tried to set one up with 17s front and back ? i see spuds Yamazong looks nice with the 18s that could be easier to do . i've seen some street bike rims non spoke type for cheap . Hate to spend just to play and find i can't make them work, but that is part of the low cost to play bike fun .

Old 11-19-2009, 09:25 PM   #2

JMHO it would be cheaper to sell your bike and get a Zong or a Q. You'd wind up with a top of the line unit, by Chinese standards, and you'd be good to go. It would be a lighter, more powerful better handling machine also. That said, I appreciate the desire to do something just for the challenge and the fun of it.

If that's your goal you'd be looking at wheels, tires, and maybe lowering the suspension, and maybe changing the bodywork, at least the front fender.

Also, the OHV engine is limited in power output potential compared to the Z's and the Q's OHC, but like I say it can be done. 8)

We'd love to help and see the pictures, either way!

Old 11-19-2009, 11:15 PM   #3

I'm sure your right Fastdoc . I'm just always thinking of projects just for the fun of it . I used to play with cars and have seen over 1300 Hp .But these days cheaper is better. I'd really like to motard a pitster 400 if they pan out . looks like the jury's still out on that one . After only riding a 80cc two stoke as a 13 /14 year old , i've found that i really like the street back road exploring here in Wv . also hav'nt found much in the way of offroad trails around . so it makes me want to lean the bike towards street duty .

Old 11-19-2009, 11:39 PM   #4

Hi, Racer. I might be wrong, but I believe your Viva 200 uses the same front hub as my Zongshen Sierra 200GY-2. If you get a chance, please post some photographs of your front wheel, and we can determine if the hubs are the same.

If, as I suspect, your front hub is identical, you can purchase a complete Zongshen 200GY-2 wheel from Phil, or Zongshen America. The Zong 18-inch wheel should bolt right onto your front forks, and connect properly to your speedometer sending unit. If the Zongshen front wheel fits your bike, you will have a pair of 18-inch wheels, just as I do.

You can also buy a number of universal-mount front fenders for $25-$35. Therefore, I think your intended project is quite feasible.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 11-19-2009, 11:42 PM   #5

I know exactly what you are saying. IMHO, to do a Supermoto right, you'd need to 'streetify' the suspension some. The long travel dirt oriented suspension is a liability on the street. Excessive brake dive and significant front geometry changes on braking and cornerning would give unpredictable handling in high performance street applications. Then the front fender would look odd and catch too much air and you'd want to change that too. Plus the gearing would need to be raised a lot. It's all doable, and I know where you're coming from, so don't let me discourage you.

Old 11-20-2009, 06:19 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastDoc
.... high performance street applications....
Just picking a little here but we are only talking 200cc right? I've got a XF200 and the only change that I can see from the XP is the size of the tires. I'm sure the speedo has been changed to reflect this change also but the point is there is little that needs to be done to a dual sport to change it into China's idea of a sumo.

Old 11-20-2009, 07:19 PM   #7

You make a valid point David. I was refering to an ideal SuperMoto, not an ideal Chinese SuperMoto!

You are correct about the two Q's.

As far as high performance goes here, I'm thinking only about cornering and braking.

Old 11-20-2009, 07:21 PM   #8

Zong has lowered the price on the leftover serria, if your intrested after all its only money and 8 or 9 hour drive seriously i have both wheels for the zongs if they would fit but then if they would spud could have used your wheels, :? i dont know, ignorance is bliss and im the happiest member here
fired roketa,lifan and jet moto and apollo quit me who's next

Old 11-20-2009, 07:36 PM   #9

i'm posting a link to pictures of the hub http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/inde...ageID=62182602 trying anything havn't got a pic to post yet.....................

Old 11-20-2009, 09:18 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil
Zong has lowered the price on the leftover serria, if your intrested after all its only money and 8 or 9 hour drive ...
How much has Zongshen lowered the price, Phil? It seems some people consider the Zong 200GY-2 an "old" model, but it is a very good copy of the current, 2010 Yamaha TW200. The new Zong 150 might be a very nice motorcycle, but I am very happy with my 2006 Zongshen 200GY-2.
Quote:
...seriously i have both wheels for the zongs if they would fit but then if they would spud could have used your wheels, :?...
I couldn't find a Viva 200 wheel; how do you get one? Therefore, I don't know if it is the same wheel, or not. However, I have heard reports the front wheels on these two bikes are identical.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 11-20-2009, 09:28 PM   #11

I saw the photos of your hub, Racer. Although they are not identical, your Viva 200 front hub looks very much like a Zongshen 200GY-2 front hub. What do you think, Phil?

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 11-20-2009, 10:25 PM   #12

i could be way off here but my guess would be, and correct me here spud, isnt the viva wheel the same as the one i sent you? i am guessing it is solely on the idea that China must send details to every factory for making a product, and i may be wrong here but i thought that viva has ties with orion, which is apollo, (follow me here) who gets engines from zong that uses the same cdi,and electrics as everybody else, except in their own branded machines, and Obama is going to give all health care I'm sure its all tied in somewhere :? Anyhow the only way to be sure is try.
to the new prices here are the rules for me. you have to call me,on the phone. I will not sell to someone who i feel doesnt know what they are getting or has no idea how to assemble or care for a bike, or expects more than can be delivered. I think, THINK (nothing in stone) i can sell and have it shipped for $1200 about or less for a short time (i dont know how long or short) i think there are roughly 200 units left. FYI there have been MAJOR changes at Zong America. but at least they are still here. and that is the reason for the reductions, I know there are some out there selling bikes for less, i know how for some. but i think some of them are vaporware. this may also end zong selling online once the leftovers are gone sooooo stock up

Old 11-21-2009, 02:16 AM   #13

Quote:
i could be way off here but my guess would be, and correct me here spud, isnt the viva wheel the same as the one i sent you?…
No, Phil, the Apollo front wheel is very different from the Zong front wheel. In contrast, the Viva 200 front wheel is very similar to my Zong front wheel.
Quote:
…to the new prices here are the rules for me. you have to call me,on the phone. I will not sell to someone who i feel doesnt know what they are getting or has no idea how to assemble or care for a bike, or expects more than can be delivered…
That is fair enough, Phil. Thank you for the estimated price, and thank you for the other information regarding Zongshen America.

Do you know if Zongshen plans to discontinue production of the 200GY-2, or merely stop exporting it to the United States? Even if Zongshen discontinues production of the 200GY-2, the Zong is still essentially a Yamaha TW200. The Yamaha TW200 has been in continuous production since 1987, and it does not appear that Yamaha has any plans in the foreseeable future to discontinue production of this motorcycle. Therefore, I am not the least worried about parts support for my motorcycle.

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 11-21-2009, 03:03 AM   #14

Racer,

It appears your spokes have the letter "B" written on the head; am I correct? If so, this would be more evidence that the two front wheel hubs are compatible, since my Zongshen spokes also have the letter "B" written on the head.

It appears that the two front hubs are very similar, but they might have different widths. Therefore, if you have a local motorcycle shop that laces and trues motorcycle wheels, getting a set of 18-inch Zong spokes might be the least expensive route to follow. Of course, you would also need to acquire an 18-inch rim.

Also, if you send your spokes to Buchanan's Spoke & Rim, they can make custom, 18-inch spokes for you, for $80 a set.

http://www.buchananspokes.net/catego...spoke_sets.asp

Of course, if you ordered a complete Zongshen 200GY-2 front wheel, you would still be fairly safe. Even if the front hubs were not identical, you could probably still employ the Zong tire, inner tube, rim strip, 18-inch rim, and spokes with your existing hub.

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 11-21-2009, 07:48 AM   #15

i dont know if the new bike is a replacement or a addition, but the sales of the serria seem slow, but it could be a gross over-flood of the market with the 06 model.
since the rims are diffrent is the apollo similar to a lifan? or something else, i didnt try compairing to the extent you did? maybe there are more than one xerox machine in china, or maybe they copied that too? seems like the more i learn the less i know. but that may be age.