Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Registration Issues
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-28-2008, 09:35 AM   #1

New Lifan Owner

Hello From Florida,

I've been riding motorcycles for years (you know, those mainstream Japanese brands) and I just bought my first Lifan, picked it up last night. I've always wanted a dual sport and got a deal on it so I couldn't turn it down. The problem is that the guy I got it from told me there was a clear title, but it is actually an unsigned certificate from the manufacturer (Chongqing).

So my first question on the forum is how do I make the title/registration process as painless as possible?

Second, what are some common fixes/modifications to make this a better bike? Like getting the turn indicators to stop flashing when I use the brakes, and making the turn indicators noise stop. I've been known to turn a wrench or two and just want to make this a decent bike.

Old 10-28-2008, 11:08 AM   #2

Hey bro, greetings from Georgia!

Haha, anyways, to fix the turn indicator noise open up the left ferring (looking from the front of the bike) and tape up the black little box thingy that makes the noise. Use electrical tape. After about 3 wraps my bike just makes a satisfactory beeping noise instead of the sound a semi makes when backing up.

Also, for the flashing problem, someone told me in another topic that there is a certain wire you need to cut/unplug. I am yet to look for the wire but here is the link for the diagram of a LF200:

http://www.rnrfabrication.com/Wiring...p%20wiring.pdf

Old 10-28-2008, 12:01 PM   #3

Hey thanks man,

That wiring diagram is a little slice of fried gold. Thanks, I'll take care of that issue right away.

The headlight is ridiculous. I guess it'd keep me from getting a ticket during the day, but at night I'd get more light wearing a camping headlamp. Ever do any mods to yours?

Also, anything else I should get ready to change/fix/replace?

Eric

Old 10-28-2008, 01:15 PM   #4

I got mine beat up to shreds. I had to replace the magneto and I'm looking at the clutch right now. But really the bike is pretty rock solid. http://leapparts.com is the only place I can find with decent priced parts too. Their we inventory isn't complete so you might just be better off calling them for parts.

Old 10-28-2008, 02:18 PM   #5

Welcome...

Take a bill of sale. You should be okay.

2007 Shineray200XYI
2007 Vento Vthunder 250

Old 10-28-2008, 04:42 PM   #6

esblow,I live in Pinellas county Fl. Motor vehicle wouldnt accept the certificate of orgin for a vehicle that came with the bike.I had to contact Roketa Goldenvale Inc in Calif to get a exceptable title. Its now legal with a plate. I would try what you have first and see if they accept it.

Old 10-28-2008, 07:30 PM   #7

Welcome bro!

As far the MCO is concerned, as long as it is legit, with the Bill Of Sale you should be good to go.

Try the search function at the top of the page for some carb tips, changing sprockets, etc. Also, there are threads that have been made permanent (stickies) that will help with the mods. I think the top mods are moving the carb clip, swapping a new air filter, and changing the rear sprocket. There is a lot of info on all these and more on this forum. Good luck, and please post some pics of your new bike! If you need help on posting pics, let us know.

Old 10-28-2008, 10:48 PM   #8

I just found out how to fix the flashing problem:

Look on the box that makes the annoying beeping noise. One of the wires coming out of the box to the plug will be yellow/green. Take that wire out of the plug and the flashing thing will be fixed.

Old 10-29-2008, 08:42 AM   #9

Thats great, I love easy fixes like that. I'll do that tonight.
Thanks ridgeback!

Does anyone where I can get a replacement headlight bulb? Mine is just burnt out, but I've never seen anything like this before at the auto parts store.

Old 10-29-2008, 10:20 AM   #10

ES, I have an old Honda Trail 70 parts bike with a headlight, and if you would like, I could send you the light -- maybe it would work.

Luke, 11: 21

Old 10-29-2008, 10:44 AM   #11

Thanks, but I just need the replacement bulb. I was hoping to find out what store I could go to to just pick one up today, but I just ordered two from the DennisKirk link in the Stickys.

I've had this bike two days and I've already learned so much from this forum. Thanks guys!

Old 10-31-2008, 09:21 AM   #12

Well, I went to the tag office yesterday and got DENIED. The MCO on glossy paper I have is useless. They need to be printed on bank note paper according to the counter agent, his supervisor, and somebody they had to get on the phone.

After that debacle I got on the phone with American Lifan, and through the VIN we found out that it is in fact an American Lifan bike, but he couldn't do anything more than that to help. I have to find out who the distributor was that the original buyer got it from, and that distributor will be able to issue a proper MCO. He did say there is a chance that it could be a "gray market" bike, and in that case I would be S.O.L.

Does anybody know of a Lifan distributor in Ohio that sells bikes on ebay?

Or does anyone have any "creative" ideas on how I could get a tag on this thing?

Thanks for all the help,
Eric

Old 10-31-2008, 09:30 AM   #13

Send a pdf copy of the MCO that you do have to a Lifan rep. Maybe they can help get the proper MCO.

Maybe Bruce?

Jason
1995 Kawasaki Concours (ZG1000)

Old 10-31-2008, 10:35 AM   #14

Bruce? I dont know Bruce here yet.

This is what I have.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3011/...0f3aa1707a.jpg

Old 10-31-2008, 11:25 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by esblow
Well, I went to the tag office yesterday and got DENIED. The MCO on glossy paper I have is useless. They need to be printed on bank note paper according to the counter agent, his supervisor, and somebody they had to get on the phone.

After that debacle I got on the phone with American Lifan, and through the VIN we found out that it is in fact an American Lifan bike, but he couldn't do anything more than that to help. I have to find out who the distributor was that the original buyer got it from, and that distributor will be able to issue a proper MCO. He did say there is a chance that it could be a "gray market" bike, and in that case I would be S.O.L.

Does anybody know of a Lifan distributor in Ohio that sells bikes on ebay?

Or does anyone have any "creative" ideas on how I could get a tag on this thing?

Thanks for all the help,
Eric
Well finding out that the bike is indeed a genuine American Lifan has to be a good feeling. Problem is you now know that does nothing as far as getting help. Hopefully you can find the original seller and get some help from them.