Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Other Brands
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-05-2023, 03:47 AM   #1

What is better than a CT110/ Postie Bike?

So what is better than having a CT110?

Old 07-05-2023, 07:22 AM   #2

Two CT110s?
1969 Honda CT90--The Tomahto
Cheesy is the WDK (workplace drama king). Now retired. Nope, back in the saddle.
Climate: The Movie https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A24fWmNA6lM
How our government really works https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjadCd0VRBw
Question all authority.....think for yourself

Old 07-05-2023, 07:17 PM   #3

Almost 3

You were close to the mark TominMO.

But I found a deal on 3 crusty postie bikes for the price of 1.

years are 1981,1984 and 2011.

2 non running 110cc dual range engines. the 84 was getting a rebuild and the previous owner just lost interest mid way.

Rolling frame 2011.

He still had his personal runner CT110 and sold of all the clunkers...

for a sucker like me to clear his storage space.

some crunchy cornflake areas but I think all frames can be saved.

I would say there's 1 original bike to be made out of the 3 and I'm partial to the 81 given it's the same vintage as myself. Rear wheel is locked up, so that's my first problem to fix.

Also need to find space under the house and somewhere safe to put the partially torn down 84 engine... Which other than a damaged head stud bolt and worn drive sprocket seems fine....the original piston and barrel seem fine...so scored a brand new cylinder and piston too...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	crustypostiehaul.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	989.9 KB
ID:	29607   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.5CT110.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	1.61 MB
ID:	29608   Click image for larger version

Name:	halfwayrebuild.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	1.09 MB
ID:	29609   Click image for larger version

Name:	newbitsoldbits.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	1.29 MB
ID:	29610  

Old 07-05-2023, 07:30 PM   #4

Nice score!
Cheesy is the WDK (workplace drama king). Now retired. Nope, back in the saddle.

Old 07-06-2023, 01:00 AM   #5

Free wheel.

Spent the better part of a whole day servicing the locked up rear wheel on the 81 Postie. Any way I got the wheel rolling after a good handful of what appeared to be river sand was removed from inside.

Seems the earlier year has some differences to the 84 so far as to say the rear drum plate/hub is different.

The more I spend time on the 81 the more apparent it is that its the donor bike...the frame is just too far gone with terminal rust to warrant expending time/effort into saving it. The 81 engine seems complete with less Odometer kilometers on the clock...but the kick start does not crank the engine over...just goes up and down without engaging.

The 84 on the other hand looks to be the best candidate for mostly original honda parts restoration.the fact the key works in the ignition switch,stem lock and helmet lock...is a strong affirmation. Rear drum plate appears to be a match for an XL185.

I found some scrags in the partially torn down 84 engine but it turns over really well...

Has to be a running engine out of the 2 somewhere there..

The 2011 has a lifan 125cc engine swap written all over it and will likely get some of the 81 ancillaries and the rear swing arm by the looks of things.

Also bought that CT110 seat and tank a while back on a separate occasion, so that will be put to good use now.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	riversand.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	1.28 MB
ID:	29612   Click image for larger version

Name:	scrags.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	528.1 KB
ID:	29613   Click image for larger version

Name:	xl185reardrumplate.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	1.67 MB
ID:	29614  

Old 07-06-2023, 09:56 AM   #6

Nice score, Sounds like two of the bikes will be saved if i read that above post right.
'80 Honda XL185S
'76 Yamaha DT250C dual sport
Baja Wilderness Trail 250
'07 Honda Shadow 750 Areo Trike
'01 Harley Davidson Softail Deuce
Polaris Magnum 425 4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyj812 View Post
You can't pin this one on me, my wife is still mad at me. I don't need your wife mad at me too. LOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2LZ View Post
Disclaimer: The above post by 2LZ is in no way the view of this site, other members or Bruce's llama. It is the opinion of 2LZ and 2LZ alone. ;-)

Old 07-06-2023, 05:26 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkrider View Post
Nice score, Sounds like two of the bikes will be saved if i read that above post right.
All 3 could potentially be saved...

But the 81's inner mudguard seems to be the most crunchy and being an early year of production has the most quirks.

The 84 is in better condition just that the engine is partially torn down for whatever reason.
The dual range gearbox only came on the AG 'agricultural models'...so both these bikes have seen more cow manure that post boxes. Both engines have worn front sprockets and they aint that cheap to replace either...$70AUD

Ebay Lifan 125cc semiauto is $300 new here...So I can see how the last owner might have 'given up' mid rebuild.

The 2011 frame is not as rusty but it is the most beat on and has little to no running gear.
Being a model after 1999 its is also updated compared to the other 2 bikes, better front suspension being an updated component.

However I also believe that an XL185 tripple tree fits a CT110 frame (which i have a spare) So I'm think of putting the 2011 forks on the 84...

Pretty much the same scenario I had with me XL185 escapades being that it took 3 clapped out bikes to make 2 decent runners...well until I I rode the CG250 with a worst 'case' head gasket failure back home and cooked it.

Old 07-06-2023, 06:37 PM   #8

High Low front sprocket.

the High/Low gearbox requires a specific front drive sprocket Not an Achilles heel but somewhat of a sore thumb servicing and cost issue.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Hilowfrontsprocket.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	363.0 KB
ID:	29621  

Old 07-06-2023, 06:58 PM   #9

Yeah, after draining the oil, basically you have to disassemble the whole high/low transfer case to get at it. Quite the PITA, but hardly impossible. No special tools needed. The high/low selector lever tends to freeze up over time, due to cooked oil in the vertical shaft that the lever connects to. Easy fix though--clean it out and coat the shaft with some high temp wheel bearing grease above the shaft's O-ring. Both of mine were this way; I have done one of them so far.

We never got the 110s with high/low, just the 90s. Our 110s had a normal front sprocket, like the newer CT125. Both of my front sprockets have some decent life left in 'em.

Link to my thread on The Carrot. Post #1 also contains a link to my other CT90, The Tomahto. Gonna get back into working on them this summer/fall.

https://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=31919

Old 07-07-2023, 06:04 AM   #10

84 Disasembled

Took apart the 84 to see how the frame holds up.

The the exterior surface looks better to the 81 there are some questionable rust zones...

the rear guard underside is rough, the farm use has taken a toll.

A couple of rust through spots, But my main area of concern is the seam expansion near the battery box holder...

Tomorrow i will break down the 81 to see if the book is better than the cover...

Also I tried the xl185 triple tree in the ct110 head stock as I read somewhere it was possible...well it isn't.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	crustyguard.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	1.60 MB
ID:	29625   Click image for larger version

Name:	seamrust.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	425.5 KB
ID:	29626   Click image for larger version

Name:	XL185tripletreenope.jpg
Size:	587.3 KB
ID:	29627  

Old 07-07-2023, 06:55 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by XLsior View Post
Took apart the 84 to see how the frame holds up.

The the exterior surface looks better to the 81 there are some questionable rust zones...

the rear guard underside is rough, the farm use has taken a toll.

A couple of rust through spots, But my main area of concern is the seam expansion near the battery box holder...

Tomorrow i will break down the 81 to see if the book is better than the cover...

Also I tried the xl185 triple tree in the ct110 head stock as I read somewhere it was possible...well it isn't.

Anything is possible with an angle grinder and a welder! I put a XR100R front end on my 68 CT90 but had to lengthen the spindle a couple inches.

Old 07-07-2023, 07:40 AM   #12

yes it would take a longer spindle.

It's just the online claim of direct swap interchangeability is untrue.

Old 07-07-2023, 07:39 PM   #13

84 vs 81

the 84 has a couple of blowouts but tapping the frame with a hammer it still has a ring to it...

the 81 on the other hand is a dull dud and is only good for cut out patches and everything else as spares/parts.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	dinkanddud.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	1.30 MB
ID:	29630  

Old 07-08-2023, 01:26 AM   #14

A story unfolds.

I think I am piecing out the turn of events that lead to the previous owner to dump the bikes.

I'm not sure what was the original reason for the rebuild...but there is a new cam timing chain in the parts basket.

However during his attempt at the rebuild 1 of the head through studs snapped...heading down that rabbit hole it looks like a complete gasket kit, new cylinder and piston kit was purchased...

however the snapped stud was stuck in the case and an attempt to remove and subsequent drill out and thread tap was made...which resulted in a offset and askew...

I think then the seller went and found the 81 as an engine donor....but that engine is in pretty locked up shape...

I believe he then gave up on the engine rebuild found the 2011 with a china motor in it took that engine and opted to offload.

I am going to attempt a JB weld and re-tap of the stud mount hole.

the 81 engine will require a case split which I'm not equipped to deal with. The gear shift rod is bent and the foot lever is welded to it.

I have order some JIS screw bits and a hammer impact screwdriver. to tear down as far as possible and hopefully get a replacement stud out of it.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Ithinkiknowwhy.jpg
Size:	1.38 MB
ID:	29631   Click image for larger version

Name:	wonkystud.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	715.2 KB
ID:	29632   Click image for larger version

Name:	JBrescueattempt.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	479.2 KB
ID:	29633   Click image for larger version

Name:	qtipstraw.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	452.0 KB
ID:	29634  

Old 07-13-2023, 10:44 PM   #15

New stud on the block

Managed to double nut and remove the studs from the 81 donor engine.

left the JBweld to cure for a few days...

used 3 studs installed as a guide reference to drill the pilot and then the 6.5mm drill (allow for slop and wallow) for a M8x1.25tp thread tap.

It was not a machine shop perfect job by any means of the imagination...

but I managed to get a head stud installed close enough to still slip over the cylinder...

If the stud pulls out there is the next more drastic option of JB welding the stud into the case...

So hopefully the engine can get a second chance now of running another 30 years...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	studtap.jpg
Size:	991.6 KB
ID:	29678   Click image for larger version

Name:	Studin.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	770.5 KB
ID:	29679   Click image for larger version

Name:	cylinderfits.jpg
Views:	35