Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Pure Dirt
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-14-2010, 11:28 AM   #1

200cc 200XYI (TMS) - Change the color of the body?

Hi experts,

I have a very simple request. I have a 200XYI (TMS) DB that is White/Blue body. I removed all the stickers but I really like black dirt bike color. I was wondering if there is some modeling paint that can be used on these plastic bodies to make it black. I can't seem to find a kit that would match the bike or don't really know what to look for when searching for one. I just wanted to know if anyone might have changed the original look of any of there dirt bike plastic bodies before on these bikes. If this go against the chinarider bike riding 101 forgive me!

Old 06-14-2010, 11:35 AM   #2

I'm not an expert.

Perhaps Spud will chime in, but I think he's had good luck with Krylon Fusion on plastics. Whatever you choose to do, it's not recommended that you try and paint a plastic tank; it lasts about a week.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 06-14-2010, 11:41 AM   #3

Thanks again Weldangrind, I wouldn't use regular paint. I should have been a little more detailed in my question ! It should have read something like

" If there is a special kind of paint that can be used to change the color of the plastic body kit "

That's my fault

Old 06-14-2010, 11:45 AM   #4

Whoops I think I miss read your information..

<Whatever you choose to do, it's not recommended that you try and paint a plastic tank; it lasts about a week.>>

Are you refering to the gas tank? I should leave that the same.. I think it's black anyway

Old 06-14-2010, 11:52 AM   #5

Yeah looks like I'll try that Krylon Fushion paint. Actually what I will do is take a picture of the bike before and then take a picture after and come back to chinariders and post the images! I think you guys might enjoy that and I would be pleased to share how it turned out with you guys. This stuff looks like it's what I will need to make this work.

I might keep the white areas and just change the BLUE so that it's Black/White instead of Blue/White.

Thanks

Old 06-14-2010, 12:18 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatal
Are you refering to the gas tank? I should leave that the same.. I think it's black anyway
Yep, I meant the gas tank. Good thing yours is already black.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 06-14-2010, 12:25 PM   #7

The krylon Fusion paint works well on our bikes. I used some clear coat over the top when I was done. made it shine a bit more. Did mine over 2 years ago and it still looks good.

Old 06-14-2010, 12:35 PM   #8

Thanks guys, I am concerned about the preperation I have been reading about the paint and is it TRUE that I just need to wash the plastic down with soap and water first and I can spray directly over the body part or do I need to add a special primer before I use the krylon. Also is there different types of this fushion paint I should be careful to watch for .. I think I need high glossy black but could there be different types of this paint I need to be aware before buying?

Cal25 do you know or remember how much cans you used on your bike.. Not sure how many I would need. I read that they want you to use 3 coats so I might need alot of cans of this stuff not exactly sure how much one can place onto plastic.

The back side panels of the bike are white, back and front fendor is blue. Then there is blue on the front sides near the gas tank... Now that I think about it it might be blue near the gas tank so I'll have go out and look but I know the actual tank is black...

Old 06-14-2010, 02:36 PM   #9

Well I think this is good news.. The gas tank is black and the side panels are about 3-4 below so there is a gap between the body and the tank. I'll just need to be careful that it doesn't drip onto the side body. There is 4 pieces that I'll need to paint and they are much smaller than I expected so I'm hoping two cans would get the job done or I might need to make another trip back haha.. Thanks guys I'll post some pics when I finish the job.

Old 06-14-2010, 11:45 PM   #10

What if you removed the panels and hung them for painting? There won't be any masking, and the job will look factory.

Old 06-15-2010, 01:41 AM   #11

The Krylon Fusion paint does an excellent job. You don't need a primer, but you should take care to prepare the plastic properly to receive the paint.

I suggest you remove all the plastic from your motorcycle. Then wash the plastic panels with soap and water. Dry the plastic, then scuff it up lightly with some green, scotch guard pads. Next wipe the plastic with paint thinner. After this preparation, you are ready to paint.

Krylon Fusion offers three shades of black paint. The Ultra Flat, Black Camouflage paint covers very well, but some people think it looks like primer paint. You can also choose either Satin Black, or Gloss Black.

After I painted the plastic panels on my motorcycle, I hung them to dry on some old coat hangers suspended from a shower curtain rod. You should let the paint cure for 7 days if you want to get the best chip resistance from the Krylon Fusion paint.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 06-15-2010, 08:49 AM   #12

1 can will be plenty.

Old 06-15-2010, 12:00 PM   #13

Thanks for all tips guys! I finished her up today and it looks GOOD. I took all the panels off and soaped them and lightly brushed them coated them with black paint and I'm happy how it came out.. It doesn't have the shiny coating like the original blue but it does shine nice in the sun. I like it better than the blue. Whats funny is that I forgot all about the handle bar cross bar padding so the body is white and black with a blue handle bar pad... haha I will have to find another one of those that will fit it looks about the same size as most bikes so I could prob get one at a bike shop. I'm going to take a picture soon but I forgot to take the BEFORE picture.. so I will only have an AFTER picture. :(

Old 06-15-2010, 12:53 PM   #14

If your looking for a little more shine, put a couple of coats of clearcoat over your new paint. :wink:

Old 06-15-2010, 12:56 PM   #15

Thanks Cal25. I can try it to spice it up a bit What type of clear coat should I use, I'm not so certain do you recommend one?