Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Pure Dirt
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-18-2012, 07:57 PM   #31

Well, I factored everything in, and it looks like I can get away with knocking 0.030" off eithe rthe cylinder or the head and not have any issues.

But, it's going to cost me $130 to shave 0.030 off the cylinder, more if I chose to shave down the head.

I ordered the gasket kit...the complete gasket kit for $40 today.

HOPEFULLY I'll be assembling the bike next weekend.

Old 02-17-2012, 09:03 PM   #32

It's been a few weeks, just wondering if you got the engine put back together?

Old 02-25-2012, 08:53 AM   #33

Actually, I am headed out to the shop today to start assembling the engine. I need to put a transfer case in my truck to start, then pick up some synthetic oil for the bike engine.

I hope to be making some noise with her tonight. It wont be fully assembled today, becaue I want to put a true mukini 30MM carb on her, something that will let her breathe properly.

Old 02-25-2012, 01:36 PM   #34

Have you grabbed new jets for the Mikuni?

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 02-25-2012, 07:08 PM   #35

Not yet. I haven't even got the mikuni yet lol. I can get a used one for $30 plus shipping...$60 in total..and then jet it to what I need. I might as well throw a kit in it to freshen it up before I shove it on the bike.

Old 02-26-2012, 12:13 PM   #36

You can get a new one for $40 including shipping on eBay. Jets are usually $4 each at the local Yamaha dealer.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 03-17-2012, 04:08 PM   #37

Well, today I got some nice weather (+8*C) and some spare time, so I went ahead and stuck the motor in the bike.

The night I put her together, I was drinking with some friends and I SOMEHOW managed to jam the cam in 90* off, but I checked it before I started it and found it. I corrected it in about 5 minutes, and fired it up. It runs ok, but the cam tensioner is busted...the spring came apart inside and allows the cam chain to run slack. I need to get this addressed before i run it anymore, but it hits pretty hard!!

Videos to follow VERY shortly...hopefully by tonight.

Old 03-17-2012, 05:35 PM   #38

If that's anything like the OHC XR200 motor, it'll carve up the aluminum in a hurry. Looking forward to pics.

Old 03-18-2012, 07:45 AM   #39

First startup. I have given it a tiny smash of ether before this to prime up the carb. As soon as it kicked I shut it down, got the camera and fired it up.

This is the bike running on the original carb, the new one is on the way from ebay...a true mukuni 30mm.

I have no reassembly pictures, but I can get some pics of the engine in the bike with all the copper gasket maker I used to seal it up for proof of reassembly.

Once I work out the cam tensioner problem, I will break it in, and take some good test videos of her moving along...it seems to work better, but I don't want to hammer on it until at least 20 hours of break in.

Old 03-18-2012, 07:40 PM   #40

It's alive!

So, what did you shave in the end? Just the cylinder, or did you shave the head as well? Is the piston at zero deck now? Any idea of the CR now?

I expect that you'll need a 115 main and a 30 slow jet to feed that 230.

What kind of copper gasket maker do you use? Is an RTV?

Old 03-18-2012, 08:36 PM   #41

As an update, I just installed the new 30mm Mikuni that arrived the other day. I installed a 115 main and 30 slow jet for Son of Weldangrind's 230 pushrod China motor, and it is still lean. I'll be back at the bike shop on Tuesday to buy a larger slow jet. Even with the pilot screw backed out two full turns, there is considerable backfiring through the exhaust.

BTW, we're using a factory 1983 XR200R air filter and a Hummer muffler (which is pretty much a straight pipe like a Gio).

Old 03-20-2012, 11:16 AM   #42

A further update: we got the jetting figured out last night. Check here for details: http://www.chinariders.net/modules.p...wtopic&t=13678

Old 03-21-2012, 10:59 AM   #43

If it was me, I would just pull the gio motor out, and make a couple motor mounts and use the entire xr200 engine.

Old 03-21-2012, 11:18 AM   #44

Where's the challenge in that? You don't even need new motor mounts, because the bolt pattern is the same.

Old 03-21-2012, 11:57 PM   #45

I wouldn't trust the tuning ability of the gio engine to run 11 or 12:1 compression.

If it was easily do-able and somewhat reliable they would do it from the factory. I don't see that much potential in the gio engines as far as modifying.

Like someone else posted, the time/money outweighs the outcome.