Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Riding > Ride Reports
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-01-2019, 09:37 AM   #1

Pickle Run

Autumn is just around the corner so Mrs. C and I did our annual Pickle Run to Von Bergan’s Farm Stand in Hebron, IL yesterday. Besides a half bushel of cukes that Mrs. C will start canning next week, we grabbed some dill, onions, peppers, sweet corn, blueberries, and, for me, fresh cheese curds.

Believe it or not, NE Illannoy has some great country roads for riding and we took them. You can still smell Dairy Air and fresh mown hay; both scents of my youth. Sadly, Dairy Air is being replaced by the factory farm smell of cow $h!t, but that’s another rant.

After the farm stand, we rolled across the state line into Wisconsin to avoid the headache known as the US12/IL173 crossroad in Richmond, IL. The other reason was to avoid making a left turn from US12 into our lunch stop. Lunch was at one of the few remaining Dog n Suds drive in restaurants left in the US. Still has cute girls as car hops. Mrs. C had her Coney Dog(there’s another story), I had a hot dog.

I told Mrs. C to smile, not thinking she’d be looking into the sun, hence the chipmunk cheeks.
The Camaro next to us was a Z28. Maybe we will run up in the DeSoto next week.

We ran different back roads home, many I used to bicycle on when I did solo centuries. We managed to almost burn through a tank of fuel but now the house has that smell of dill and fresh veggies.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

I'm making this up as I go.-Indiana Jones

Telling me something 'is for my own good', is a fast way to a fat lip.-Me

I don't even care about my own problems, why should I care about yours?-Quote on one of my favorite t-shirts

Old 09-01-2019, 10:48 AM   #2

Very nice cheesy....!!!! Nice day, nice ride, fresh vegetables….thanks for sharing!!!
A family that works together, plays together, shoots and trains together, and sleds together, stays together. Second amendment! SkiDoo sleds, NOW 2 TTR225, and a BMS250. A couple of quotes (we are not farmers) "I don't get off the farm much" "Am too old school" I call the china bikes "the china syndrome".