Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Riding > Ride Reports
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-08-2019, 07:49 PM   #1

Desert Riding with the SSR xf250

After a week of freezing rain and strong winds we had some great weather in the desert today. I did a quick ride out to the desert to test out the new Shinko 710's. They did better than I was expecting in the sand, although not quite as much grip as I was used to with the 244's.

There were actually a ton of people out riding and just down the road a few miles we have the King of the Hammers race going on. I have never been, but it is a huge racing event that brings people from all over the country. The main event is today so the participants really lucked out. The sand is packed and the dust was minimal due to some good rain we have been getting this month. It was about 55 degrees and the winds were calm today. At 6:32 a giant coyote or chupacabra or brown dog almost runs out in front of me lol. The guy riding in front of me waited up to talk about it but all you can hear is engine noise.

The camera is a discontinued Midland action camera I ordered from Amazon last week for $20. I think it did pretty good for the price, although because I have it mounted on the tank fairing the engine noise is really loud and it starts vibrating a lot over 60mph.

King of the Hammers:

Last edited by dh; 02-08-2019 at 08:05 PM. Reason: missing info

Old 02-09-2019, 09:15 AM   #2

Great video! I hope you enjoyed it because I woke up today and it is once again raining (although this is in Northridge, so not sure if it will get out your way). I remember my friend riding in an open race in Adelanto years ago on his KX500. It went around a MX track, and then several miles out into the open desert, looped around, and then through the track and out into the open desert. They lapped it a few times. I filmed it with my old Sony Hi-8 camera.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard