Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Riding > Ride Reports
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-01-2019, 07:27 PM   #1

Polar Bear Ride 2019

That time of year again. This years temp was a balmy 31F. Balmy, when compared to last years -10F.

Starting mileage. I did not plan on having both the trip and cumulative mileage matching.

At the usual PBR stop, Country Donuts. Got there later than usual because the early morning donut crowds can be quite large.

When you have four cups of coffee and only imbibe in two donuts to soak it up, you need an off road pee stop. Some place with a lot of brush.

Ending mileage.

Temp dropped to 28F by the time I got home. Several hours later, I still have cold feet.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

I'm making this up as I go.-Indiana Jones

Telling me something 'is for my own good', is a fast way to a fat lip.-Me

I don't even care about my own problems, why should I care about yours?-Quote on one of my favorite t-shirts

Old 01-02-2019, 12:19 PM   #2

Were you on your own?

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 01-02-2019, 12:21 PM   #3

what? no heated socks?

with your feet right behind those jugs, I'd think your toes would stay toasty warm.

Old 01-02-2019, 03:13 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind View Post
Were you on your own?
Yup. Again, I am either braver or more insane than my fellow riders.

SR-You’d think that, wouldn’t you. My boots are rated to -25F, so I guessed I could get away with some light socks. Idiot. High humidity and just below freezing here feels colder than low humidity and single digits.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

I don't even care about my own problems, why should I care about yours?-Quote on one of my favorite t-shirts

Old 01-03-2019, 12:20 PM   #5

I get some warm venting from the C10 plastics which keep my feet comfortable. in fact, in summer I have to wear boots to be sure my feet don't get too hot.

Old 01-03-2019, 04:51 PM   #6

Nice to see I am not the only silly person that will ride in freezing temps.

The funny thing is, I have found the most difficult thing to keep warm is my feet. Good gloves with head grips, or heated gloves, Good thick layered jackets with optional heat, even pants is not hard to get right.

You are also right - High humidity sub freezing temps are honestly the worst. Give me a dry 0 degree day every day over that nonsense.
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Old 01-03-2019, 06:22 PM   #7

Hind sight being 20/20, I should have thrown a heat pack in each boot. Even if the boot is rated at -25F, I don't think that applies to 55 mph and 30F.

I run Oxford heated grips inside of handle bar muffs of the Ural. Hands are toasty enough that I can usually ride without gloves, which can make all the difference in being comfortable. I do wish the grips had a rheostat control instead of just four heat settings; 1) Is this on?, 2) I think I feel something., 3) Hothothot., 4) I think I'm gonna need a skin graft.
I have no heated gear other than my grips, but I have some great jackets and coats. Both of the leather ones are lined, one with shearling and a faux fur collar. My 60s Swedish Army winter motorcycle kit is the bees knees as long as you aren't in a hurry or if you suddenly need to pee. Then you will hate your life. Also, if you trip and fall backwards while wearing it, you will know how a turtle feels. The Aussie Drover coat, that I'm still trying to figure out. Adding the shearling liner made a big difference, but see the turtle reference.

I was working in the field today. 25F, sunny, no breeze, and frost on every surface. It was not fun.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

Old 01-04-2019, 11:30 AM   #8

I bought a Sunbeam Heat To Go for riding in cold weather, and it's terrific for that purpose. It's a Velcro-attached belt, similar to a kidney belt, and it uses a rechargeable battery pack. They're around $45.00.
Turns out, it's also excellent for a sore back. Put it on, turn it up, pour a glass of Wisers Special Deluxe over ice, put your feet up and watch a movie. Back fixed.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer