Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-25-2021, 12:27 PM   #1

Best Dual Sport for Aggressive Off-Road Riding?

I've been riding street bikes for several years now and I'm itching to throw in some dirt time

My SUV only has 200lb tongue weight capacity and I don't currently have a hitch or trailer so I'm primarily looking at dual sports so I can ride to and from the trail. Because I still have my street bike, I wouldn't be riding the DS around town much so it's great if it's much more dirt bike oriented. I'm a small person -- 5'6" 125lbs 30" inseam -- so power to weight ratio is important. I'd also be riding alone often so if I dump the bike I need to be able to pick it back out of the mud by myself and if it's kick start only it needs to be responsive.

I'm looking at doing some possibly aggressive off road riding including MX track (but not racing). This is FL so we don't have mountains and it's pretty easy to legally tag a bike but I'm not interested in converting a dirt bike to a DS. Our used market is a little high -- early to mid 2000's TTR125L/KLX140L/CRF150F's go for about $2200-$2500 and have usually seen some notable abuse.

I've been eyeing the Orion RXB150XL for awhile for its sheer power to weight ratio and general upper-quality appearance (particularly suspension), but I've also looked at Brozz, RPS, CSC, and Apollo. If I stretch the budget I could probably go for PitsterPro/GPX but it would really have to be worth it. The other option is a suspiciously cheap 2008 Yamaha XT250 for $2000 a couple of hours from me but I'm concerned about suspension for aggressive riding and weight.

Is the GPX really double the bike as the Orion? Are the others really not that much worse and justify the cost savings? Should I just get a hitch and trailer for a dedicated dirt bike? A higher class pitbike even? Take the Japanese offering?

Old 02-26-2021, 05:36 PM   #2

There's a 250 version of the Orion RXB as well, if you're really after more power. That's probably the biggest, fastest, dirtiest, meanest, most powerful street legal Chinese option in the US. I hear there are 450 street legal variants available in e.g. Australia, but to my knowledge none of them have made it over here.

I don't know of the RXB-whatever-L version comes with an MCO that says "motorcycle" or "off road vehicle," though, nor if they pass DOT/EPA muster which is a big deal in some states. Maybe someone who owns one can enlighten us on that. Not knowing that is the reason I don't own one, actually. Stuff like the OG Hawk which comes with the "wrong" MCO cannot be registered as street legal in my state, full stop. So that kind of thing is a no-go for me, I don't know about Florida.

Old 02-26-2021, 06:16 PM   #3

The RXB250L is not a 49 state legal bike, so much like the Hawk, it's not technically street legal, but some states will plate it. In short, if you can plate a Hawk in your state you can plate the RXB250L.
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Old 02-26-2021, 08:29 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megadan View Post
The RXB250L is not a 49 state legal bike, so much like the Hawk, it's not technically street legal, but some states will plate it. In short, if you can plate a Hawk in your state you can plate the RXB250L.
Hum.. I’ve got a RXB230L in my shopping cart right now. I’ve been considering something with a little more grunt and better suspension than my Brozz. But I need it street legal. Florida based here.

Is the Hawk plate-able in Florida?
2022 GPX FSE 450R

Last edited by Spins; 02-27-2021 at 05:30 AM.

Old 02-26-2021, 08:43 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spins View Post
Hum.. I’ve got a RBX230L in my shopping cart right now. I’ve been considering something with a little more grunt and better suspension than my Brozz. But I need it street legal. Florida based here.

Not sure. I think I have seen people from Florida with Hawks, but I can't speak for sure.
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Old 02-27-2021, 03:47 AM   #6

If the Hawk is platable, the RXB will be too. I'm pretty sure they are, I know a guy with several plated GPXs.

Old 02-27-2021, 12:48 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spins View Post
Hum.. I’ve got a RXB230L in my shopping cart right now. I’ve been considering something with a little more grunt and better suspension than my Brozz. But I need it street legal. Florida based here.

RedCrowRides is in Florida and recently purchased a RXB250L which I recall he plated with no issues there. Hawks are still plated there, too. I am guessing Florida is one of many states that plate converted dirtbikes as long as there is a minimum of street equipment. Dealers, probably distributors like RPS, have been sending out MCOs with the word 'Motorcycle' printed on them which helps in the cases of bikes like the Hawk, Orion RXB, and Pister Pro/GPX which come with full street equipment but are technically classified as 'off-road dirtbikes' on the same EPA list that certifies ATVs, side-by-sides, actual dirtbikes with zero street equipment, etc. (it's a long list of vehicles; much longer than the EPA/DOT list of 'on-highway bikes' which is quite long itself). Unless Florida went 'green' over the new year (like when laws that were signed and whatnot go into effect on New Year's Day) I can say with 99.9% certainty you will have no issues getting a plate in Florida. But PM RedCrowRides and have him join the discussion here so he can clarify what he did. I am sure others here on the fence in your state would be interested as well.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 02-27-2021, 01:34 PM   #8

Can't say much for the other bikes, but I can say you would likely be disappointed with the XT250 based on how you plan to use it. It's a capable bike, but not a thrasher. A buddy has one that he picked up to get back into motos on after 20 years. Within 2 weeks he was already planning his next bike. The power wasn't the problem, it is the suspension and lack of ability to use it for anything aggressive. It's great if you want to stay seated and plod through rock gardens, but it will respond like a wet sponge if you try to push it. He is 5 pounds heavier than you and felt that his light weight would help keep it from feeling soggy, but it really didn't. Good luck!

Old 02-27-2021, 01:58 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coloradogoose View Post
Can't say much for the other bikes, but I can say you would likely be disappointed with the XT250 based on how you plan to use it. It's a capable bike, but not a thrasher. A buddy has one that he picked up to get back into motos on after 20 years. Within 2 weeks he was already planning his next bike. The power wasn't the problem, it is the suspension and lack of ability to use it for anything aggressive. It's great if you want to stay seated and plod through rock gardens, but it will respond like a wet sponge if you try to push it. He is 5 pounds heavier than you and felt that his light weight would help keep it from feeling soggy, but it really didn't. Good luck!
The issues is not the motorcycle, none of the motorcycle being talked here are for, made or designed for Aggressive off road.

People can't expect the YZ, KX capabilities from a dual sport motorcycle, no matter if it is made in china, japan, india, etc.

Old 02-27-2021, 05:24 PM   #10

I’ve pmed Redcrowrides twice. I never heard back
2022 GPX FSE 450R

Old 02-27-2021, 10:48 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Dog View Post
The issues is not the motorcycle, none of the motorcycle being talked here are for, made or designed for Aggressive off road.

People can't expect the YZ, KX capabilities from a dual sport motorcycle, no matter if it is made in china, japan, india, etc.
The OP literally said "The other option is a suspiciously cheap 2008 Yamaha XT250 for $2000 a couple of hours from me but I'm concerned about suspension for aggressive riding and weight." Considering I have some real world experience with his exact ponderings I thought I would chime in. I don't know what the other bikes are, or are not, capable of so I didn't weigh in on those. I don't pretend to be a Moto guru, but I do have some knowledge that I'm happy to share if people would like. It seems maybe newcomers opinions aren't welcome here?

Old 02-28-2021, 07:50 AM   #12

Sorry for late reply - But there is no issue plating RXB 250's in FLA. There is a lot of discussion and info specifically about FLA plating here at the FaceBook RXB 250 Owners Group. FWIW., i have been sidelined due to illness recently so i am way behind on my internet activity, my apologies. https://www.facebook.com/groups/570367237200442
2020 Orion RXB250L

Old 02-28-2021, 11:06 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coloradogoose View Post
I do have some knowledge that I'm happy to share if people would like. It seems maybe newcomers opinions aren't welcome here?
What? This is a forum, people tend to disagree with each other in forums. That doesn't mean "newcomers opinions aren't welcome here". Hell this has to be one most friendly forums i have read and participated.

You said your friend didn't like the XT250 for aggressive off road.

I said, the motorcycle is not the issue, why? Because the XT250 is a dual sport that is not meant or designed for aggressive off road. It's pretty much the entry line to the brand, reliable but basic, hell even the forks are somewhat thin.
Yamaha has other offerings when it comes for more aggressive off road, the WR-F and YZ-F family.

Because people don't agree with each other opinion doesn't mean their opinion is not welcome.

Old 02-28-2021, 01:40 PM   #14

Aggressive riding and China-bikes are mutually exclusive things.
I've had 2 of em and both of them are terrible for anything other than put putting around smooth trails. I ended up getting a brand new wr250r. I've been able to keep up with my buddy's yz450f right out of the box, well, keeping him in my sight anyway. My China-bike wasn't even close to being able to do that even after modding everything I could.

xt250, wr250, crf250 are all solid options for true dual sporting.

So far I have changed gearing to 14/51 from the stock 13/43 because I do almost no street riding and zero highway, got some aggressive tires, a skid plate, hand guards, and I'm getting the rear shock re-valved for my weight. But even stock this thing is way better than I am. The only thing I had an issue with stock was this massive sand hill the 450 struggled up. I only got halfway before I ran out of power (highway gearing) and tire (50/50 tires) now the only thing stopping me is my skill level.

Old 02-28-2021, 05:48 PM   #15

Are you looking at a GPX? They're likely to handle any abuse you're likely to be able to summon.

Tags
apollo db 36, brozz 250, csc tt250, gpx xtr250, orion 150