Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-12-2020, 09:43 AM   #1

UPDATE: First Bike...Please Help!

Hello everyone!
I posted a few weeks ago about ordering my first solo bike. I asked for some advice on mods for the Brozz 250, which has arrived in all its glory! I have assembled it and have started it (kick start only, for some reason I have no electrical power) and it's a dream.

I have two questions for you awesome people:

As I mentioned, I have no power when I turn the key. I have checked the battery charge, and the connections. Do you guys have any ideas as to what it could be? The instrument cluster does not light up, no electric start, no headlights. It doesn't even try to come on, which is why I'm a little concerned. As I'm sure you all know, kickstarting a cold Chinese bike for the very first time was EXTREMELY difficult.

Second: Have any of you adjusted the height of the bike at all? I can barely touch the ground with where it sits now, but I have no experience on how to lower it. Rear shock? Front forks? What are your thoughts?

Thank you all for making this my favorite forum and for all your awesome advice!

Old 06-12-2020, 09:50 AM   #2

Did you check the fuse? Did you try using the remote to start it?
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 06-12-2020, 10:12 AM   #3

Doh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryHawk250 View Post
Did you check the fuse? Did you try using the remote to start it?
I did try the remote start- absolutely nothing. I checked some electrical wiring (connections and such) but I honestly am out of my element with the electrical stuff. To be completely honest, couldn't tell you where the fuse is on this bike

Old 06-12-2020, 10:20 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1DeltaBlu View Post
I did try the remote start- absolutely nothing. I checked some electrical wiring (connections and such) but I honestly am out of my element with the electrical stuff. To be completely honest, couldn't tell you where the fuse is on this bike
The fuse holder should be near the battery. I have a hawk so not sure of the exact location on the Brozz 250. I would check that you have a good ground going to the engine and battery. Go through the all the connectors again and check that each and every wire is firmly snapped into the connector. I had a couple on my Hawk that were loose that over time had backed out and killed the power.
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 06-12-2020, 11:51 AM   #5

As for your height issue, avoid lowering the bike if you can. Cut the seat down before doing that. The seat on the Brozz looks pretty thick so you might be able to cut quite a bit out. If you don't want to do that, the CSC TT250 Seat concepts might fit your bike. Both look very similar in pictures.

Or you could just put one foot down when stopping. That's what I've been doing with my XF250 sometimes and it seems to be working good for me. I'm vertically and inseam challenged too.

Old 06-12-2020, 01:08 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirKng View Post
As for your height issue, avoid lowering the bike if you can.:
Do you think it might be too difficult or it just doesn't offer a big enough change? Unfortunately, my toes can barely touch the pavement with boots on, while stopped. I just don't feel confident enough without being able to touch the ground a liiiittttle bit more.

Old 06-12-2020, 04:52 PM   #7

You can lower the back of the bike a couple of inches without harming anything. I lowered the back of my Hawk almost 3 inches (not for height reasons, but for ride and comfort) and it rides, handles, and tracks beautifully. In many ways it is even better.

For the link to my mods list there are pictures of how my bike sits with the Brozz Swing arm and a 280mm shock.
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Old 06-13-2020, 02:08 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1DeltaBlu View Post
Do you think it might be too difficult or it just doesn't offer a big enough change? Unfortunately, my toes can barely touch the pavement with boots on, while stopped. I just don't feel confident enough without being able to touch the ground a liiiittttle bit more.
It's not hard if you know what to do or have the know how. Megadan posted above me and he has info on how to do it. But if it were me I would cut the seat foam down first to see how that feels. It would be easier and I personally just don't like the look of a lowered dirt or dual sport bike. But it is your bike and you can do whatever you want with it.

Old 06-13-2020, 02:25 PM   #9

Quote:
It's not hard if you know what to do or have the know how. Megadan posted above me and he has info on how to do it. But if it were me I would cut the seat foam down first to see how that feels. It would be easier and I personally just don't like the look of a lowered dirt or dual sport bike. But it is your bike and you can do whatever you want with it.
Looks are subjective, and performance wise, I actually didn't lose too much in capability off road. Maybe an inch of ground clearance at the worst vs. a stock bike. I actually increased my rear suspension travel with the new shock and I still haven't bottomed out, so if anything, my bike is actually better off road now lol.

Plus, cutting and shaping foam is honestly a lot more work than removing the rear wheel and unbolting 2 bolts, swaping the shock out, and putting it back together.

I am not against cutting the seat foam though. Honestly, I don't think any modification would need to be done. So all of this can be addressed if/when it comes to it.

Old 06-13-2020, 03:54 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megadan View Post
You can lower the back of the bike a couple of inches without harming anything. I lowered the back of my Hawk almost 3 inches (not for height reasons, but for ride and comfort) and it rides, handles, and tracks beautifully. In many ways it is even better.

For the link to my mods list there are pictures of how my bike sits with the Brozz Swing arm and a 280mm shock.
So you managed to lower the bike almost 3 inches by just exchanging the stock shock with the one listed on your page? That is definitely an option, I just wasn't sure if that should be the first step. I heard some talk about finding the sag when I'm seated on the bike, but I'm unsure how to adjust the load of the shock after I have that number. The video I watched had some sort of self adjusting shock. Any thoughts?

Old 06-13-2020, 05:28 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megadan View Post
Looks are subjective, and performance wise, I actually didn't lose too much in capability off road. Maybe an inch of ground clearance at the worst vs. a stock bike. I actually increased my rear suspension travel with the new shock and I still haven't bottomed out, so if anything, my bike is actually better off road now lol.

Plus, cutting and shaping foam is honestly a lot more work than removing the rear wheel and unbolting 2 bolts, swaping the shock out, and putting it back together.

I am not against cutting the seat foam though. Honestly, I don't think any modification would need to be done. So all of this can be addressed if/when it comes to it.
What ever works for your situation and preferences. Some people need to lower and cut the seat to get it low enough to be comfortable.

I was also going off the fact that you don't have to get dirty to cut seat foam. You'll have bits of foam everywhere but at least you don't have to get grease and dirt on your hands or gloves. Lol.

Old 06-13-2020, 06:04 PM   #12

Quote:
What ever works for your situation and preferences. Some people need to lower and cut the seat to get it low enough to be comfortable.

I was also going off the fact that you don't have to get dirty to cut seat foam. You'll have bits of foam everywhere but at least you don't have to get grease and dirt on your hands or gloves. Lol.
Since most of these pivots come dry anyway, they should be taken apart and greased for proper servicing anyway, including the shock bolts. So I see it as an opportunity to kill many birds with one stone.

Tags
brozz, brozz 250, brozz 250 suspension, suspension