Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-12-2018, 10:50 AM   #1

Throttle lock

Surprised I couldn't find any threads on this from the past. I want to add a throttle lock, hopefully the simple lever type like the Vista Cruise. I'm not a fan at all of the twist type at the end of the bar. Vista Cruise sells one for "most Yamahas" and then another that says "most Hondas and some others." It's also labeled for dual throttle cables, as it has a tab to lie between the cables.

What have people used successfully?

I'm inclined to order both kits from Amazon, see what fits (including modifying to fit), then send the other back.

Old 11-12-2018, 06:19 PM   #2

I used this one on my RX3 and moved it over and use it on my F800. Has worked great for me. https://www.amazon.com/CRUISE-2wheel.../dp/B00ERXG4TM

Old 11-12-2018, 07:01 PM   #3

Yeah, I'd really like to get one that's fixed to the bike. I don't want to mess with it back and forth, just twist the throttle. From where I live, everywhere I go has hills and I'll be changing it repeatedly, a couple times a minute or more. I like convenience.

I do appreciate the feedback though as I have looked at those as a second choice.

Old 11-12-2018, 07:40 PM   #4

Not a lock or cruise control but easy to just blip or hold some throttle
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 247B83BE-2C77-4708-8CD2-BAD9DF6CB27D.jpg (9.3 KB, 186 views)

Old 11-12-2018, 08:04 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvarez View Post

What have people used successfully?
Gel grips with a bigger outside diameter. Doesn't take much diameter to significantly reduce the energy needed to hold the throttle. Never fully recovered from hands being crushed, dozens of shattered bones, but gel grips do a good job for me. I don't even have to hold them, just rest my hands atop and relax.

Most any grips retail over $15 work bvetter than stock grips on most bikes. Bitwell makes several styles of soft rubber grips that are extremely comfortable and feel sticky, so no squeeze required.

Problem I have with flap-type "cruise controls" they only really work where it is basically flat terrain. They also interfere with grip in emergency situations and contribute to buitt pucker moments, if not worse.

Google yourself an automotive electronic cruise control with a selenoid instead of vacumn motor to work the throttle. Absolutely the best way to go.

Old 11-12-2018, 08:32 PM   #6

The Rostra electronic kit is a possibility. Not sure I want to throw $250 at this. But a throttle lock for $20-25 is a no-brainer.

I will probably put Progrips 714 grips on, and a heater pad under those. I have the CSC-option heated grips, but want to make some modifications. I should be able to keep the controller and just put some $15 grip heater strips under the grips.

Old 11-12-2018, 09:07 PM   #7

Progrips 714 are a great choice. I have a set on Tdub. Soft, good stick, absorb vibes, ..., very comfortable. The just wear out kind of quick, but they are easy and relatively cheap to replace as needed.

Old 11-13-2018, 10:59 AM   #8

Great to hear. I've had them in the past, but it was long ago. My last few bikes have been very smooth, and I used more solid grips. I think I'll pull the trigger on the grip inserts and those grips, and get rid of the very hard and pretty worn CSC grips.

Old 11-13-2018, 02:53 PM   #9

I print these on my 3D printer and use them on all my bikes. There are similar ones you can get on Ebay reasonably. Anything is better then not having something to hold the throttle while you scratch your nose or give the wrist a rest I always say, rj

Name:  P1010072.jpg
Views: 275
Size:  92.2 KB

Old 11-14-2018, 01:10 PM   #10

I can confirm that the vistacruise works on the RX3.

https://www.amazon.com/MOTORCYCLE-VI.../dp/B002EYZZSC

I don't remember choosing the Yamaha or the Honda version, just chose it by handlebar diameter.

Only drawback is it takes up about 1/2" of the already pretty short RX3 hand grip.

Cheers,

Dan K.

Dan's Motorcycle Blog - "Lost? I'm not lost. I'm just exploring. . ."

Old 11-14-2018, 04:03 PM   #11

That's the universal version, which is clunky and I'm trying to avoid. I wanted the small/thin one for the reason you already noted. The Honda version just arrived, I'll test fit it tonight.