Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-11-2018, 07:32 PM   #1

Which seat?

I'm looking to upgrade the seat on my rx3 but can't decide which one to get. I'm 220lbs.,5' 9" with a 30" inseam and use the bike for only commuting and around town errands so long distance comfort is not a priority. How much taller is the tall seat? How much more comfortable is the narrow seat compared to the stock seat? At my weight it doesn't take too long to start squirming on the stock seat. Thanks.

Old 08-12-2018, 09:43 PM   #2

The tall seat seams softer than the original and does not provide as much lift as it appears, and way more comfortable. No problem almost flat footing with my 30-inch inseam.

Old 08-13-2018, 11:17 AM   #3

I'm a bit lighter but I was very unhappy about my saddle comfort as well. I decided to be cheap about it and ordered several of those gel-cushions from RevZilla. Tried several out to find the best feel and then returned the others.

Because the RX3 transfers quite a lot of vibration to the saddle from both the road and the engine (at higher RPMs), the gel dampens vibration and makes 4-6 hour days on the highway bearable. Its also very good for off-road if you catch an unseen bump or your legs get tired from standing on technical stuff. Its certainly not as attractive looking, but can be removed quickly because it attaches via a sling with a Velcro strip, so whenever I leave the bike parked I peel it off and throw it in my box. I also don't use it in rain because it will take forever to dry. But if you are camping it makes a fantastic seat for those who think that traveling with a camping chair is ridiculous.

Old 08-13-2018, 11:59 AM   #4

RC, Revzilla has several gel pads. Which style fits the RX3? Too expensive to go your route. Well, actually, I'm too cheap.

These days I'm using the tall seat with a cheap strap on ATV pad from Walmart with a small couch throw pillow to take the sway back out of the seat. Riders need to realize the swayback styling for adventure bikes came from riders of the BMW 1200 GS, a bike with lots of suspension and a really bulky engine designed to haul boot across the Sahara desert, so riders could put toes on the ground. These seats have absolutely no consideration for comfort because you are either WFO across the desert on the pegs or WFO down some highway and the wind under your chest unloads the seat. Anywho, the ideal solution is to take the OEM seat to a local upholsterer and have the seat raised until flat so you are not wedged into a swayback testicle smasher with now support for the parts of your body you are supposed to sit on. It's not just the RX3, it is all seats of this type. Just plain fashion, just plain stupid.

Old 08-13-2018, 01:28 PM   #5

I have the tall seat. My wife has the narrow seat.
The tall seat isn't really taller as mush as flatter and wider than the stocker.
The narrow seat is narrower where your thighs hit.
Both seats are firm, but are getting better with miles.
Either seat is superior to the stock seat. It's so bad it wouldn't be allowed to be used as an interrogation tactic.

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 09-23-2018, 08:00 PM   #6

$250 is pretty steep for something that’s not great, just less awful. Are there other sources for the seat? I guess it would be expensive to ship from China.

Old 09-23-2018, 09:07 PM   #7

I went with the narrow seat. It's ok. To me it feels wider than the stock seat mainly because of the stiffer foam. Maybe it will take a better shape after I get some miles on it.

Old 09-24-2018, 09:53 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvarez View Post
$250 is pretty steep for something that’s not great, just less awful. Are there other sources for the seat? I guess it would be expensive to ship from China.
Take a look at other aftermarket seats. You'll find that $250 actually is pretty cheap. The most comfortable seat I have ever had was a RDL that was good for 18 hours at a time but cost about $600...and worth every penny. Their cheapest seat is $435 now. Corbin or Sargent are going to run $300-$350. Seat comfort is such an individual call that it's somewhat of a crap shoot when you order an aftermarket one. The RDL seats can be fitted to your taste if you make an appointment and ride in. That's not practical for most of us.

Old 09-24-2018, 12:35 PM   #9

That's my point; those seats are known to be very good or great. The $250 half-assed (heh) option doesn't seem logical. Or I guess I'm also asking; is it really mostly good and people are nit-picking? I'd be looking at the tall/wide seat, as that design has worked for me. On my CBR1100XX I had a Corbin and would do 3k weekends without much complaint. I don't expect anything like that on the RX3, more like a couple hundred miles at most.

Old 09-24-2018, 02:50 PM   #10

It is the shape of the seat and the fact it does not fit my butt. I have big bones and a big flat butt, need a big flat seat to spread the load. I don't fit in wedge shapes very well. Never fails that either my butt bone or testicles are smashed.

Now keep in mind that the BMW Dakar riders need a firm place to lock in their butts while traveling high speeds. That a wedge does well. Comfort was a secondary thing, if anyone cared at all.

I also like to slide forward and back on the seat to change joint angles, something most uncomfortable to do when crammed into a wedge shaped hole, so after an hour or so all my old joints are stiff and sore since only 3 angles available for knees, fewer options for every other joint. With a flat resto seat the available angles are infinite.

In town, slide up, feet on main pegs to access controls, back vertical so no muscle strain. Country roads, slide back a bit, stretch arms to air the pits, slight lean forward, main or highway pegs. Highways, slide back, feet on main or passenger pegs, lean forward enough wind hitting your chest holds you up so absolutely no load on hands.

All possibilities due to seat's ability to accommodate varying butt location. It really doesn't take much flat space to provide for the necessary butt repositioning for riding all day. 3-4 inches? And, if you can adjust the angle of your upper body to take advantage of the wind, much less chance of sore hands, wrists, arms, and shoulders when those parts carry no load. No windshield necessary.

Really, the CSC option is a very comfortable seat for those with scrawny butts that actually fit in it. If I ride without gear it would probably be good for 2-3 hours, which for most folks is plenty long enough, but not for me. It is a little flatter than the original seat and that makes a huge improvement. However, I owe my life to good gear, so I need room for gear or I don't ride.

Even the original seat is quite comfy for those who fit in it. My wife (5'4", 107lbs (162.5cm, 48.5kg)) had me sway back her stock CB350F seat and she loved it, but she still had a couple inches of positioning option front to back. I expect she would have loved the OEM seat on the RX3, but she probably would have wanted bars with a bit more pullback and no windshield so she could adjust her angles. Critical for her because she was born with defective hip bones.

There is a lot more to long, comfortable rides than just the seat, but the seat is where it all starts.

Old 09-24-2018, 03:55 PM   #11

I'm happy with the CSC comfort seat. For me it was a huge improvement over stock and worth the investment. I doubt that Corbin or any other aftermarket seat maker has the RX3 seat pan. Rebuilding your stock seat is the only option other than the CSC seat. When I finally sell my RX3 I'll probably put the stock seat back on and offer my comfort seat for half what I paid. Thus, my real investment will be only about $125.

Peter Y.

Old 09-24-2018, 09:15 PM   #12

TRUE! The OEM and CSC comfort seats are not bad products, they just don't fit my butt. They are like those $3500 custom cowboy boots, 3 sizes too small.

Old 09-25-2018, 10:06 AM   #13

Nothing apart from stock in China - you lucky its soft lol!

Only seat covers which are... yeah looks great fits mmmm okish but yet to test it out
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Seat1.jpg (89.2 KB, 209 views)
File Type: jpg Seat 2.jpg (89.2 KB, 206 views)

Old 10-02-2018, 03:00 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyoungbl View Post
and offer my comfort seat for half what I paid.

Hmm.....looks at watch impatiently...

Old 10-05-2018, 10:13 PM   #15

I went with the Seat Concepts Tall Seat from CSC. I've had Corbin seats on other bikes some I know good seats. I am impressed by the seat. It's wider and FIRMER, which is what you want for a saddle. The front and rear seat is also MUCH better than stock. I'm 5'10" and 200 lbs. And they threw in free shipping for just for the asking.