Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-02-2016, 06:59 AM   #1

Request for ideas - Leave bags unlocked!

I have something to register as a complaint. The bags. Always locked. How many times have you started the bike while letting it warm up and realize you want to put something in, or out, of the bags.

I'm annoyed by this. I'm spoiled by my BMW. Why does this bike hold the key ransom?!?

I understand my old BMW from the 90s also did this, hated that too!

Anyone have any thoughts?

Dave aka Ghan

Old 06-02-2016, 08:44 AM   #2

Extra key.

Old 06-02-2016, 08:45 AM   #3

I've done this too, and it's kind of annoying. If you don't want the bags to lock at all, you can remove the latch pretty easily. It's just held on by two screws in the lid. Otherwise, the only thing I can think of is to keep the luggage key in your pocket. Or get a quick release key chain.

2015 CSC red RX3 with 19" front wheel, Shinko 804/805, skid plate, tall seat, 13T/45T sprockets, progressive shock, Winyoochanok windshield, GENSSI LED headlight, SW-Motech tankbag, Shorai Lithium battery
2014 Ural Patrol

Old 06-02-2016, 09:04 AM   #4

I'd just remove the lock, those cases aren't going to stop someone from prying them open anyway. I really liked the BMW R1200RT's keyless luggage, damn that was nice. Just like a car lol. The luggage probably costs as much as an RX3!

Old 06-02-2016, 09:32 AM   #5

Agree with Mudflap and Detours - extra key in a carribiner. That way you can quickly separate the spare key to get at the luggage.

Those with 2015 RX3s carry the luggage key around all the time because we had two keys each for the ignition and the luggage. (Ignition and luggage keyed separately.). Have gotten used to carrying the luggage key.

Old 06-02-2016, 09:49 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee R View Post
I'd just remove the lock, those cases aren't going to stop someone from prying them open anyway.
Reminds me of the "Locking Gas Caps"... sure it makes you feel all warm and fuzzy inside knowing it's locked... but all this stuff does is make the thief pissy and they will start destroying everything to get what they want... ever find a hole drilled into the bottom of your gas tank because the jackass trying to steal your gas couldn't put a hose in the gas tank and siphon it out... should have just stuck with a regular 'unlocked' gas cap

"You never know what someone is hiding beneath their smile..." - NinjaTom - R.I.P.

Old 06-02-2016, 10:17 AM   #7

Like detours said, take off the latch plate. Lock will still be in place. Who goes around checking to see if a motorcycle's bags are really locked? Or only leave one bag that is lockable. I've had the latch plates off of my side cases for over 4,000 miles and they have never popped open.

Old 06-02-2016, 10:28 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azhule View Post
Reminds me of the "Locking Gas Caps"... sure it makes you feel all warm and fuzzy inside knowing it's locked... but all this stuff does is make the thief pissy and they will start destroying everything to get what they want... ever find a hole drilled into the bottom of your gas tank because the jackass trying to steal your gas couldn't put a hose in the gas tank and siphon it out... should have just stuck with a regular 'unlocked' gas cap
That's no shit! Can't tell you how many vehicle burglary reports I took from folks who made sure and locked their doors on their soft top vehicles only to return later to find the top sliced and whatever the degenerate thief was after also gone.... more times than not the top/damage cost more than the mp3 player that got swiped. I've already addressed my lock clasps.

" Time you enjoy wasting, is not wasted." - John Lennon

“I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.”
― Thomas Jefferson

"If you don't know where you're going any road will take you there" ....George Harrison song

Old 06-02-2016, 11:18 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtking View Post
Those with 2015 RX3s carry the luggage key around all the time because we had two keys each for the ignition and the luggage. (Ignition and luggage keyed separately.). Have gotten used to carrying the luggage key.
The 2016s use the same key for luggage and ignition? I'm glad they sorted that out.

2015 CSC red RX3 with 19" front wheel, Shinko 804/805, skid plate, tall seat, 13T/45T sprockets, progressive shock, Winyoochanok windshield, GENSSI LED headlight, SW-Motech tankbag, Shorai Lithium battery
2014 Ural Patrol

Old 06-02-2016, 11:40 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by detours View Post
The 2016s use the same key for luggage and ignition? I'm glad they sorted that out.
yes.... one key

" Time you enjoy wasting, is not wasted." - John Lennon

“I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.”
― Thomas Jefferson

"If you don't know where you're going any road will take you there" ....George Harrison song

Old 06-03-2016, 01:36 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by detours View Post
My 2015.5 uses the same key for luggage and ignition.

Another solution: Get the aluminum luggage set from CSC. You can remove the key with the latch locked or un-locked. That way you can leave them unlocked most of the time and lock them when you want.

Old 06-03-2016, 06:21 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHawk47 View Post
My 2015.5 uses the same key for luggage and ignition.

Another solution: Get the aluminum luggage set from CSC. You can remove the key with the latch locked or un-locked. That way you can leave them unlocked most of the time and lock them when you want.
Hey now! That's the first time I've heard that. I was already considering getting those for the bike simply for more storage.

I like the locks -- Keeps the honest people honest. To be fair, it's rare that I'll leave a bike somewhere I don't trust it anyway, but certain situations arise. A thief will not likely break into a locked box if he/she doesn't have reason to believe something of value would remain inside.

I have considered making a second key to keep on the bike for just this type of scenario, on the same keychain of sorts.

Dave

Old 06-03-2016, 07:28 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtking View Post
Agree with Mudflap and Detours - extra key in a carribiner. That way you can quickly separate the spare key to get at the luggage.

I re-keyed my luggage to use the ignition key....wasn't hard at all...
2016 AJP PR4
2022 Templar X 250
2021 Sondors Metacycle
AMA Life Member

Old 06-03-2016, 07:46 AM   #14

glad i live were everyone just leaves the key in the ignition

Old 06-03-2016, 03:46 PM   #15

"What's a lock?" – said every thief