Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > New Member Introductions
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-22-2018, 08:26 AM   #1

Which Chinese 250?? New to Chinese bikes

I’m entertaining the idea of getting a new Chinese 250 rather then a used Japanese bike. I have been out of riding for about 8 years. I have owned many Japanese atv’s and dirt bikes of all sizes. In Utah it was lots if wide open spaces and I loved my Ktm 300 exc and banshee atv. I’m now in Florida. More woods and not as much open space, so I think a good trail bike would be sufficient. I’ve been mainly looking at the Apollo 250 and the kymoto xz 250. I’m 6’ tall 250 and oookong for something to play in the trails. I find lots of info on the Apollo and hawk on you tube, but nothing on the kymoto/rps 250?
Any info you guys can share on the differences and pros and cons of each would be appreciated.
I am very mechanical as well. I’ve never paid a shop to fix anything I have owned. Other then machine work of course.

Old 01-22-2018, 11:24 AM   #2

Decisions, decisions, decisions...

Like most things, money plays a major part. If you can find a good used Japanese motorcycle, go that route. I live in the Tampa Bay Area of Florida. There were not many good, used Japanese Dual Sport motorcycles available at the time. The Hawk is a “Best Bang for the Buck” motorcycle, but be prepared for some hands on experience! I don’t have any experience with the two bikes you listed. Maybe someone else on the forum can chime in. There are some other Chinese bikes worth checking out too! Do you need/want a bike that is street legal?

Enjoy the ride!
-2016 Hawk 250 - Kitty Hawk - eBay exhaust, Mikuni carb(120 main/30 Pilot), airbox mod with K&N filter, digital cluster, total LEDs, 17/45 sprockets, RK chain, Shinko 244 tires, trunk, aftermarket levers, burrito tube, skid plate, Sargent Cycle Seat...
-2003 HD Sportster 100th Anniversary
-1999 Buell X-1 Lightning - Race kit, Buell Seat

Old 01-22-2018, 01:47 PM   #3

I've debated going to dual sport route, but mostly looking for off road use

Old 01-22-2018, 04:28 PM   #4

Welcome! Before suggestions can really be made it's helpful to know a few things. Seat height preference? Are you a fellow Sasquatch like me and can handle something with a 37" high seat, or are you a member of the Smurfs, and anything over 30" is pushing it?

What is your budget? There are quite a few good options out there, and they range in price from bargain basement to bordering on used Japanese bike territory - I.E. Pitster Pro LXR250F and the SSR SR250S, which both sit over the $3000 mark, but offer a LOT of bang for their buck in terms of quality and hardware.

How hard to you want to ride it off road? The cheaper bikes don't generally come with the best suspension in terms of handling harder off-road use. Not to say that they are bad, but they aren't always up to the task either.

In the world of Chinese bikes it really pays to be realistic.

Old 01-22-2018, 05:34 PM   #5

Im 6ft tall. Used to taller bikes. I've owned a ktm 300exc,
yamaha yz250, Honda cr250, xr600 and cr500. I used to ride fast and hard. Been out of the game for about 8 years now though. Florida is different terrain then what I'm used to as well and I'm a bit older now lol

Old 01-23-2018, 01:02 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstaguy24 View Post
Im 6ft tall. Used to taller bikes. I've owned a ktm 300exc,
yamaha yz250, Honda cr250, xr600 and cr500. I used to ride fast and hard. Been out of the game for about 8 years now though. Florida is different terrain then what I'm used to as well and I'm a bit older now lol
I guess it then comes down to what kind of budget you are looking to stay within. I think a fair splitting point would be above or below $2,000.

Below, and a bike like the DB-36 Apollo seems right up your alley. The Apollo bikes are basically TaoTao bikes under a different name.

The HX/XZ250 style bikes are definitely more dedicated dirt bikes, up to and including their 1gal or smaller fuel tanks.

Above, 2000, and I would take a serious look at the Pitster Pro XTR T4 250LC (21/18). A true 250cc OHC engine, upgraded forks and rear shock with compression and rebound adjustment on both and over 10 inches of travel on both front and rear, While it may have some stuff you aren't interested in, such as the headlight, tail light, etc. it is setup as a true trail bike, and is probably the most off-road capable bike you can get for around $2500.