Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Media/Reviews/Classifieds/Sponsors > Video and Pics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-23-2022, 09:44 PM   #1

Valve Adjustment Tools

I was going to get a nearly $24 valve adjustment tool to adjust the valves with my son on his new (20 year old!) Civic. Just couldn't spend that much, though it is a nice tool. I kept looking. The Honda has a 10mm lock nut and square head valve stem like the Storm and TBR7, so I expanded the search to both problems...Then I ran into this tool called a "Motorcycle Scooter Valve Tappet Engine Valve Screw Repair Wrench, Adjusting Square Hexagonal Hole Tool Spanner Tool"

[ATTACH]Name:  TwoPieces.JPG
Views: 511
Size:  105.6 KB[/ATTACH]

It has three different square socket sizes on the T-handle. The largest is on the long arm. The pass-through socket sizes are 10mm and smaller (but not 8mm. maybe 9?). $8 on Amazon right now, got it next day/today!

I verified the 10mm side on a valve cover bolt, so right then it occured to me that these are all you need to do the whole job (and a fat screwdriver to open the window to see the TDC mark

I struggled with a needle nose plier to hold the square post while tightening the lock nut when I adjust the valve lash. This will be MUCH easier.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ValveAdjustToolPackage.JPG (136.7 KB, 327 views)

Last edited by Thumper; 03-24-2022 at 07:34 AM.

Old 03-24-2022, 08:55 AM   #2

Those are good tools. As long as the T-handle is, you would have to remove the gas tank I think. I can get by fine by just lifting up the rear of the tank on my X-pect with a piece of wood, and using a small open wrench or adjustable wrench on the square post.

I like to set my gap a little wide with the feeler gauge, then if/when it gets smaller when I make the adjustment, it will be where it needs to be. Or I might turn the square post a few degrees CCW to make up for it going CW when I tighten the lock nut.

Here's the Amazon link to the tool: https://www.amazon.com/Motorcycle-Sc...s%2C106&sr=8-1
1969 Honda CT90--The Tomahto
Cheesy is the WDK (workplace drama king). Now retired. Nope, back in the saddle.
Climate: The Movie https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A24fWmNA6lM
How our government really works https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjadCd0VRBw
Question all authority.....think for yourself

Old 03-24-2022, 08:25 PM   #3

Yup, a secure socket on the square head is the goal. It will reduce that "tightening" effect when you cinch down the lock nut.

BUT, there are three different square nut sizes on that Tee... The one on the long end of the Tee is the biggest, might be good for the Honda Civic.

The two on the short legs are more like CG230 sized. I will verify the fit soon. Having a socket with a comfortable levered handle, THROUGH the locknut wrench is sweet

Old 03-24-2022, 09:11 PM   #4

Fits!

It is the smallest square socket, on one of the short sides of the Tee. Here it is alone on the valve stem:

Name:  SquareheadOnly.JPG
Views: 463
Size:  125.6 KB

And here it is connected, passing through the lock nut wrench:

Name:  BothTools.JPG
Views: 465
Size:  140.9 KB

The square socket on the long end of the handle is much bigger (see it in both pics). I hope that fits the Honda Civic (plenty of room/clearance).

I didn't bother to remove the valve cover or the hoses on the "EGR valve", but if I do, there will be ample room for adjustment. At eight bucks, I might ordering a second one and just cut off the other side of the Tee handle for easier access under there on one of them. The spare Tee will be for in case I need the slightly larger square socket on the other side of the Tee for something! Sweet inexpensive tool.

Old 03-24-2022, 11:14 PM   #5

^^ Nice reporting and pics. Have an extra cookie on me.
Cheesy is the WDK (workplace drama king). Now retired. Nope, back in the saddle.

Old 03-27-2022, 04:40 PM   #6

I simply cannot find "threads" on this site.... so I'll post what I have here...I bought a rear spring for my RX4, from Maximum Motorsport's in CA..... part number "HYP47508225"
...then after taking my money sent me a receipt and said it is on back order and will be 2 weeks or longer till they send it..... but it "SHOULD" Be the right size I hope....
and thanks for the valve adjusting tool info... I think I'll grab one ! looks alot easier than what I had in mind!.....thanks....
Bob.....

Old 03-28-2022, 08:20 AM   #7

Good luck on the spring. I hate it when vendors take the payment when the part isn't in stock.

I had a friend that lived in Weed before he became expatriot retiring in Beliz. You have lots of interesting places to ride. We hiked Shasta with a base camp up on the meadow below the summit about 30 years ago. What a memory!

Old 03-28-2022, 01:06 PM   #8

Yah that is definitely frustrating... but a guaranteed sale that way for them.
I ran into a problem with my RX4 yesterday it got way too hot ....
up to the last digit on the temp gauge ! I checked the coolant and it's full....
so I was scratching my head.... maybe the fuze to the electric radiator fan eh ?
as I haven't heard it come on ...ever even yesterday when it was very warm....
could be the problem.... or perhaps it's switch.... odd one for a brand new bike !
Bob.....

Old 06-02-2022, 10:23 PM   #9

I’m looking at this little set for the x-pect.

Same size valve adjustment nuts and whatnot?

Old 06-03-2022, 10:38 AM   #10

Well, I bought it anyway. Took a gamble. I’ll let you know if it works on the x-pect

Old 06-03-2022, 07:12 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy View Post
Well, I bought it anyway. Took a gamble. I’ll let you know if it works on the x-pect
I think it will fit. We used it on my son's new TBR7 (2021). CG229cc engines probably all will fit.

Oh,
I did get a second one. I mean $7 I will give it to one of my son's!

Old 06-03-2022, 10:30 PM   #12

I've found that a bit for square socket wood screws is the same size. So, if you have one of the screws you can bend the head 90 degrees to make a mini wrench. That's what I used for a Yamaha XT225 that I used to have. I included the DIY wrench with it when I later sold it to a buddy.

Old 06-13-2022, 03:33 PM   #13

I was going to get a nearly $24 valve adjustment tool to adjust the valves with my son on his new 20 year old! Civic. Just couldn't spend that much, though it is a nice tool.

I kept looking. The Honda has a 10mm lock nut and square head valve stem like the Storm and TBR7, so I expanded the search to both problems.

Then I ran into this tool called a Motorcycle Scooter Valve Tappet Engine Valve Screw Repair Wrench, Adjusting Square Hexagonal Hole Tool Spanner Tool.

Old 07-22-2022, 07:40 PM   #14

Just reporting back here that this does indeed work with the xpect.

The little piece with the square hole that rotates the very top of the valve is useful. However, the larger diameter piece is useless. Easier just to use a wrench.

Edit:. When I say the big piece is useless, I don’t mean it doesn’t fit. It does. It’s just too hard to manage both pieces at once and you end up dropping things constantly. A wrench is easier to manage than the larger piece of this set.

Old 07-22-2022, 07:45 PM   #15

Thanks for letting us know.

I use a long needle-nose pliers for the square post, and a 10mm wrench for the locking nut.