Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-21-2022, 07:15 PM   #1

Been asking around. Asking here too. Can I store my bike laying down?

I often ask questions on huge motorcycle forums thinking the sheer number of people means the knowledge is there. Half the time you guys know more than they do.

So I’m wondering. Is it ok to store my bike horizontally? Laying down?

Old 02-21-2022, 08:14 PM   #2

i would not do that

Old 02-21-2022, 08:23 PM   #3

Big no on that one. In fact, Kawasaki recommends not to even store them on their side stand for extended periods of time. Store it on a center stand, centered upright

Old 02-21-2022, 08:32 PM   #4

Can i ask why?

I see things like this, which is what I’m trying to do:

Old 02-21-2022, 08:36 PM   #5

On the other forum most people said no problem or laughed at me for asking.

I killed a generator by tipping it the wrong way once so I do have concerns.

Old 02-21-2022, 09:02 PM   #6

Storing on the side stand for long periods is bad for one reason. No oil is in contact with the clutch when on the side stand. If stored long enough like that the clutch will fuse together eventually.

As far as laying it down on the side. Same issue if it's laid down on the left side, but not a problem at all on the right side. The bigger issues mainly have to do with fluids. The oil will potentially seep past the rings and fill the combustion chamber. Possibly Leak out of the fill port on the right side, and the timing plugs on the left side. I also would want to remove the fuel tank or make sure it's completely empty.

Beyond all of that, realistically speaking storing it on the side briefly won't hurt much. Long term (several months) is where issues arise.
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Old 02-21-2022, 10:40 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy View Post
Can i ask why?

I see things like this, which is what I’m trying to do:

Those guys need bigger boats.

Old 02-22-2022, 10:34 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megadan View Post
Storing on the side stand for long periods is bad for one reason. No oil is in contact with the clutch when on the side stand. If stored long enough like that the clutch will fuse together eventually.

As far as laying it down on the side. Same issue if it's laid down on the left side, but not a problem at all on the right side. The bigger issues mainly have to do with fluids. The oil will potentially seep past the rings and fill the combustion chamber. Possibly Leak out of the fill port on the right side, and the timing plugs on the left side. I also would want to remove the fuel tank or make sure it's completely empty.

Beyond all of that, realistically speaking storing it on the side briefly won't hurt much. Long term (several months) is where issues arise.

That’s a really good explanation. Thank you.

One follow on question.

If you were to lay it on the right side for weeks at a time, would it still be ok because the clutch is in the oil?

It would be significantly better for my visibility on the big boat to have it on its side. Otherwise it will interfere with my field of vision.

What if I kept it not completely horizontal, but up just a little bit so that the combustion chamber was higher than the oil sump crank case area?

Last edited by Boatguy; 02-22-2022 at 11:12 AM.

Old 02-22-2022, 11:16 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy View Post
That’s a really good explanation. Thank you.

One follow on question.

If you were to lay it on the right side for weeks at a time, would it still be ok because the clutch is in the oil?

It would be significantly better for my visibility on the big boat to have it on its side. Otherwise it will interfere with my field of vision.

I'm curious about how you're planning to load & unload the bike into & from the boat? Where do you plan to take it & how long are you planning to store it on its side?

Old 02-22-2022, 11:21 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennR View Post
I'm curious about how you're planning to load & unload the bike into & from the boat? Where do you plan to take it & how long are you planning to store it on its side?
That’s all sorted out. Small boat, gin pole, etc.

Taking it wherever ashore and would like to store it on its side indefinitely actually, in an ideal world.

Last edited by Boatguy; 02-22-2022 at 08:16 PM.

Old 02-22-2022, 12:23 PM   #11

As Megadan points out, on it's side for long period may allow oil to flow into the cylinder which might cause unwanted hydraulic pressure during combustion stroke. Even after a short period, a few days on its side, you might do yourself a favor by removing the plug and turning it over for a few seconds to blow out any excessive oil that may have settled into the cylinder.

Old 02-22-2022, 12:23 PM   #12

This might keep you a little farther from the alligator's jaws, and can't be punctured. Also, m/c provides power (complete with steering)

Of course, it is not portable and stowable, so not good for portage you can stow!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cyclePower.jpg (80.1 KB, 134 views)