Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-18-2022, 12:06 PM   #16

I’m such a n00b. I don’t have a clue what to do.

Current tires are tubes and they are:

90/90-19 front

110/90-17 rear

I think I want to keep dual sport because I may be doing a little more pavement soon with a place I’ll be staying. But a fairly aggressive dual sport would be good.

I can avoid deep mud, which I oddly have no problem in. Bike just goes and goes in it.

Deep sand is my difficult surface.

Old 02-18-2022, 01:09 PM   #17

Just stick with something like a Skinko 244 (or similar tread) and you'll be fine.

Old 02-18-2022, 02:16 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennR View Post
Just stick with something like a Skinko 244 (or similar tread) and you'll be fine.

Those look pretty good. People seem pretty happy with them. For some reason, I’m drawn to those big chunky ones. Just looks like they will drop more sticky stuff out of them as you ride through the mud. And also, it looks like they have more surface touching the road for corners on tar.

Ones like the Shinko 804/805.

Also, the sizing on the Shinko 244 is in a different notation. It doesn’t really match too well to my 90/90–19. What number Shinko would match that best?

Sorry guys. I know NOTHING about this

Old 02-18-2022, 06:43 PM   #19

Tire enthusiast here.

The challenge with the X-pect is not only the odd rim diameters, but how narrow they are. If you look, many of the 19" and 17" tires you might guess would fit are really too wide for the rims.

I did a bunch of research and settled on Bridgestone AX41. 90/100-19 front and 4.60-17 rear.

AX41 are very good both on and off road. The downside is that to get good performance on both, the treadlife is not super long.

I've done some pretty serious off roading. They're not like a full knobby. They can struggle in mud, but they handle both on and off road well.

They aren't cheap, but they work well.

If memory serves, the IRC GP-1, Shinko 244 and Kenda K270 all come in sizes appropriate for the X-Pect, as well.

Old 02-18-2022, 06:51 PM   #20

Keep the Xpect as your street bike and get another street-legal bike with DOT knobbies. Or go full knob on the Lifan and get a street bike.

Problem solved. You're welcome.
1969 Honda CT90--The Tomahto
Cheesy is the WDK (workplace drama king). Now retired. Nope, back in the saddle.
Climate: The Movie https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A24fWmNA6lM
How our government really works https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjadCd0VRBw
Question all authority.....think for yourself

Old 02-18-2022, 08:15 PM   #21

If sand is your biggest enemy, even with aggressive knobby tires you will still struggle. Some tires CAN do better than others in deep sand, but deep sand tends to be more about power and riding technique than the tires themselves. Aka, a super aggressive knobby or paddle tire will do a great job in sand, but if you don't have the momentum to keep those narrow tires from digging it, you will still sink, and unfortunately these CG engines aren't really high RPM high HP screamers to help push through.
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Old 02-18-2022, 08:50 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by TominMO View Post
Keep the Xpect as your street bike and get another street-legal bike with DOT knobbies. Or go full knob on the Lifan and get a street bike.

Problem solved. You're welcome.
It’s hard enough carrying one bike all over the country. LOL. I can’t have 2.

Old 02-18-2022, 08:54 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megadan View Post
If sand is your biggest enemy, even with aggressive knobby tires you will still struggle. Some tires CAN do better than others in deep sand, but deep sand tends to be more about power and riding technique than the tires themselves. Aka, a super aggressive knobby or paddle tire will do a great job in sand, but if you don't have the momentum to keep those narrow tires from digging it, you will still sink, and unfortunately these CG engines aren't really high RPM high HP screamers to help push through.
OK, I’m glad you posted this. Because yes. Deep sand is my biggest enemy. I did not grow up having to ride two wheels on the sand. I rode three wheels and it was simple.

I have been practicing a lot, things have been going pretty well. I can mostly go through whatever sand standing up and in a pretty straight line. I’m even able to take some large radius corners. The bike doesn’t go exactly where you want it. It goes just about where you want it. Lol

But the real issue is when I am in very tight trails with no room for error. The kind where you have to actually steer a little bit. And the kind that are all giant ruts and craters from side-by-side’s going through. This is in sand that’s like a foot deep. The kind you would find out the softest beaches in California or Florida. Basically, the entire state of Florida is made of that sand.

With the sand, and the kind of trail described above, when a corner comes up, I try to take it, and my front wheel plows and dumps the bike.

I can make it through straight patches of sand. But not twisty curvy ones where side-by-side‘s have gone through and where there is no room at all for error. Where the branches are touching both sides of the bike as you are trying to go around sharp corners. In a foot of sand. That stuff does not work well for me. And I have not been able to figure that out yet. People have been saying it’s my front tire like above in this thread.

Do you think it’s still technique?

Old 02-18-2022, 08:57 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSSK View Post
Tire enthusiast here.

The challenge with the X-pect is not only the odd rim diameters, but how narrow they are. If you look, many of the 19" and 17" tires you might guess would fit are really too wide for the rims.

I did a bunch of research and settled on Bridgestone AX41. 90/100-19 front and 4.60-17 rear.

AX41 are very good both on and off road. The downside is that to get good performance on both, the treadlife is not super long.

I've done some pretty serious off roading. They're not like a full knobby. They can struggle in mud, but they handle both on and off road well.

They aren't cheap, but they work well.

If memory serves, the IRC GP-1, Shinko 244 and Kenda K270 all come in sizes appropriate for the X-Pect, as well.
Thank you for all that great information! I really do like these kinds of tires. The chunky ones. I don’t know. In my mind it just seems like they would work better. For everything. Less likely to clog up with stuff, and also better contact with the road.

I don’t care too much about the longevity. I’d rather have a good tire and enjoy it. I mean, it would be nice if it lasted a while, but if it doesn’t, and if it works great, that’s OK.

Old 02-18-2022, 09:48 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy View Post
Do you think it’s still technique?
It's one of those "all of the above" things. Tires will always matter to some degree. In your case a more aggressive tire may help alleviate some of your issues, but no matter how good the tools you have are, being able to use those tools is also just as important.

My sand experience is hit or miss, but it's rare for me to find DEEP sand, so when I do I have the same issues as you do, and regardless of what tires I have had on my Hawk or what air pressures I run, I still struggle. That mostly has to do with my skills being limited.

My "off road" riding consists more of unpaved farm tracks, gravel dual track, and occasional single track trails. I deal more with dust, gravel, and clay - wet or dry than I ever do with sand, and that heavy wet clay is a nightmare even with knobby tires. It just packs on and sticks, and without the wheel speed to clear them, it's like riding on ice. That goes back to the power thing. These CG motors are fun torquey little things, but they lack a bit in the right kind of power delivery for certain scenarios - deep sand and sticky wet clay being the two most notable.
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Old 02-19-2022, 01:39 AM   #26

Thanks, Megadan. Good post.

Ok, I won’t worry too much about the tires. I guess a couple different ones in this thread look pretty good, actually.

Glad to know it’s not just me or my front wheel. I’ll take a picture of the crazy stuff I’m trying to ride through next time.

Old 02-19-2022, 12:41 PM   #27

Ok, you guys went too easy on me.

It’s not the tires in sand. It’s the rider. I FINALLY got things to work out today in the deep Florida sand.

To account for the kind of weak engine, I found winding it out a bit in first gear was perfect to get through deep sand. Standing up is also a must.

What surprised me is just how right Michigan Sportsman was! That picture of the ski. I stood up and put my weight as far back as I could. I wound up the engine and went for it fully expecting the front wheel to plow and dump me.

It didn’t! It behaved exactly like a ski! It didn’t track straight and true. I often had to put it hard over to one side or the other to get it to go in the right direction. It slid sideways in the sand instead of digging in and dumping me.

It was FUN! A lot like skiing on snow.

I’m riding with at 19” front wheel, half worn down stock Lifan 50/50 tires and 29.5 psi in the front, 32psi in the rear. I didn’t air down because I wanted to make sure I could ride in the sand without anything to make it easier. And I did! No falls!

I just had my weight too far forward before.

Here are some pictures of what I’m talking about when I say sand. Florida is made from this stuff. The whole state, basically.

Here is how deep it is. I stopped to take a pic for you guys and I didn’t need my kickstand!
The bike is just sitting there upright all on its own. Nothing but sand holding it up.

So if I can do this on the starting to bald Lifan stock tires and full PSI, I don’t think I have to worry as much about the tires as I have been.

Old 02-19-2022, 05:47 PM   #28

Looks like you're having fun.

Old 02-19-2022, 06:17 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennR View Post
Looks like you're having fun.
Learning anyway, but it was super exciting and exhilarating once I got the hang of it.

I don’t think I could do that all day, but an hour or two is fun.

Old 08-31-2022, 02:47 PM   #30

Lifan Xpect Stock Tire Concerns

BoatGuy, Thanks for creating this thread and posting your tire replacement concerns pertaining to the Lifan Xpect. I too have tire questions.

Very good information was gained from everyone that replied.

Thanks, everyone