Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Other Brands
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-19-2017, 01:52 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBike View Post
You definitely did your homework and sounds like you really made an educated decision. Yes I couldnt help but notice those awesome pipes.

They are marketing those "street"(s) as city commuter etc..and of course an around cool looking bike

Speaking of cool bikes.. got an extra 50k for an bonafide off the shelf flat track racer?

http://www.cycleworld.com/indian-mot...rchase-program

Pity there was really no where to ride that beauty around here. But yea after riding the Street 500 in the course i did a lot of reading on them. Even more so when the Street Rod came out as it has some upgrades over the standard Street 750.

Street 750

Single front disk brake
Traditional Front forks
Non res rear shocks
Mid controls
Superbike style bar
2 up seat and long fender
Standard engine tuning

Street Rod 750

Dual Disk front brakes
Inverted Front forks
Reservoir rear shocks
Slightly raised mid controls
Lower rise bar
Short 2 up seat and fender w/ solo cowl
Tuned EFI

There are some other differences between the bikes that i cannot fully recall at the moment but that is first impressions of both after looking at them in the dealership.
Save
Save
Save
'80 Honda XL185S
'76 Yamaha DT250C dual sport
Baja Wilderness Trail 250
'07 Honda Shadow 750 Areo Trike
'01 Harley Davidson Softail Deuce
Polaris Magnum 425 4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyj812 View Post
You can't pin this one on me, my wife is still mad at me. I don't need your wife mad at me too. LOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2LZ View Post
Disclaimer: The above post by 2LZ is in no way the view of this site, other members or Bruce's llama. It is the opinion of 2LZ and 2LZ alone. ;-)

Last edited by Darkrider; 08-26-2017 at 04:49 AM.

Old 07-19-2017, 01:57 PM   #17

Dark...Right on.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~Benjamin Franklin~

Old 07-23-2017, 09:22 PM   #18

Made a few changes to start to make her mine...

Removed the rear sissy bar and changed the grips. The Windscreen is a quick detach so i left the mounts in place so i can put it back on for highway riding.

'80 Honda XL185S
Polaris Magnum 425 4x4

Quote:
You can't pin this one on me, my wife is still mad at me. I don't need your wife mad at me too. LOL
Quote:
Disclaimer: The above post by 2LZ is in no way the view of this site, other members or Bruce's llama. It is the opinion of 2LZ and 2LZ alone. ;-)

Old 07-30-2017, 07:54 PM   #19

Well...last week the bike went back to the dealership to deal with a fuel leak. The source of the leak turned out to be pin holes in a normally isolated portion of the tank. Basically on a normal softail tank there are two fuel caps...but one is actually a dummy cap that has the fuel gauge in it and it sits in a cup in that side of the tank. Pinholes developed in this cup so it was filling with fuel when i filled up and causing it to leak around the gauge and down the pass through tubing inside the tank. And due to the thin metal in this area they could not repair it. Though they did attempt to do so at first. So props to them on the attempt at fixing it before replacing. Ultimately what ended up happening was that they had a custom painted tank in storage that fit a similar model bike and it happened to be compatible with mine. I have read on forums that the Softail Rocker C used leftover fuel tanks from the Fuel injected Deuce. The tank they put on was from one of these Rocker Cs. With that all said...here is how the bike looks now.

Save
Save
'80 Honda XL185S
Polaris Magnum 425 4x4

Quote:
Quote:

Old 07-31-2017, 12:45 PM   #20

So, you got that custom tank for free?

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 07-31-2017, 03:10 PM   #21

upgrade...touchdown !

awesome

2x on weldngrind question
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~Benjamin Franklin~

Old 07-31-2017, 05:17 PM   #22

and the answer to that question is yes. I got that custom tank for free.
'80 Honda XL185S
Polaris Magnum 425 4x4

Quote:
Quote:

Old 08-26-2017, 05:01 AM   #23

So...thoughts on the Harley Davidson ownership experience thus far... I have put on about 500 or so km give or take since taking possession in July. During that time i got out for a 200 km ride with the local H.O.G. chapter and became a member of it near the beginning of this month. Around town i feel that my riding is getting a bit smoother now that i am getting used to the bike but on the highway...i find myself fighting against old habits from my sportbike days. Namely wanting to go into a corner hard and start to lean into it...only to realize that is not the right style for this bike. I am getting to where i feel comfortable slowly on the highway. Had a couple anxiety moments during the HOG ride. One was from hitting a previously unseen tar snake and the bike getting skittish on it. The second was something that apparently most riders face in that particular corner. Having enough momentum that the bikes natural gyroscopic effect kicked in and it wanted to go upright before the corner was done. Normally on a sport bike this would have not phased me as by that stage of the corner i would have been leaned hard into it with a knee getting close to the pavement at a higher speed. But on a bike i am sitting more relaxed and upright...well it was a little startling. As for how that windscreen worked on the highway...well that is a "Kinda" more of a "Better then nothing at all" kind of deal.

The following parts will be coming my way on payday on the 8th:

used "Boom" Audio amplified speakers
used HD Sirius XM radio
and 9" mini ape hanger style bars off of a '13 Heritage Softail.

In fact the grips i put on awhile ago came from the same softail. It is my bosses bike and he has the 110th anniversary model with Stage II engine upgrades.

I am starting to lean towards building this into a bit more of a two up touring friendly bike for myself and my wife thus the above changes. I will also be changing to a National Cycle "Spartan" or "Switchblade" 2 up windshield which will def help a lot on the highway.

Though at one stage i will not be surprised if another Harley ends up in the collection in the form of a Heritage or a Fat boy. At which point "Elvira" (This bike) will probably return to a more of a solo machine.
'80 Honda XL185S
Polaris Magnum 425 4x4

Quote:
Quote:

Old 08-28-2017, 12:15 PM   #24

I still toy with the idea of a Fatboy, although I find the Softail suspension to be a spine-pounder for me.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 08-28-2017, 09:31 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind View Post
I still toy with the idea of a Fatboy, although I find the Softail suspension to be a spine-pounder for me.
Yea i have noticed that a bit on the poor roads here in town. Eventually i will be doing some suspension upgrades in the form of Cartridge inserts in the forks and Progressive 422 shocks. A note on the windshield i mentioned in the above post..I will not be going with either one of them as i found a replacement screen that reuses all the mounting hardware and bracketry from the original Super Sport shield. The new screen is wider and taller to give me a screen much closer to what would be found on a bike like the Heritage.
'80 Honda XL185S
Polaris Magnum 425 4x4

Quote:
Quote:

Old 09-08-2017, 08:56 AM   #26

Well like i mentioned above and in the what did you buy now post i picked up the following:

5 3/4 LED "Daymaker" Headlight,
Lifeproof handlebar mount,
spare Lifeproof mount adapter.
Bikemaster Dual Usb socket in a handlebar mount,
As well the aforementioned used Harley Davidson "Boom" Audio kit and XM radio.
As well as the ape hanger bars from the same bike.

After doing some reading in the HD catalogue i got i found out the grips were from the "Slipstream" collection of parts. Also used as stock grips on some CVO models.

Now as for my previous comment on getting a two up bike...well it may still happen but not for a bit longer. I still need to go another 3 years till i have my full "M" license. I could have shortened that down to 2 by taking my road test to get my Novice level upgrade this summer but...after the close calls during rides i have decided to wait a bit longer on that and get more comfortable on the bike before challenging for that. With my current payments (basically making double payments atm to shorten the time i am actually paying on it) i should have her paid off in 2 years. At that point i will be looking for a VRod to go with her. After the VRod is paid off then i may look for a 2 up machine. To that end one of the upgrades i will be making to the Deuce is a Mustang seat to make her two up friendly.
'80 Honda XL185S
Polaris Magnum 425 4x4

Quote:
Quote:

Old 09-14-2017, 03:20 PM   #27

Got the Boom Audio kit installed on the bike today, here is a pic for now. Will try to get a vid up later once i figure out where to host it.

'80 Honda XL185S
Polaris Magnum 425 4x4

Quote:
Quote:

Last edited by Darkrider; 09-14-2017 at 03:22 PM. Reason: added pic

Old 09-14-2017, 06:14 PM   #28

'80 Honda XL185S
Polaris Magnum 425 4x4

Quote:
Quote:

Old 09-16-2017, 12:20 PM   #29

I recognize that song; it was released after the McMurray fires. Nice install!

Old 09-17-2017, 02:49 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind View Post
I recognize that song; it was released after the McMurray fires. Nice install!
Thanks Weld, I did not do the install myself as all my wiring stuff is still packed away from the move. Had it done at the dealership to get the bike ready for the Toy Run that was held yesterday. Unfortunately said toy run also revealed i need to make some more changes if i want to continue riding the bike long distance. Namely i need to get rid of the drag bar set up and move to an ape hanger or similar set up. I ended up spending 2 hours in the ER last night after the after party of the run because of shoulder pain. That same shoulder pain also caused me to pull over and get loaded on the chase truck during the ride at the halfway mark.
'80 Honda XL185S
Polaris Magnum 425 4x4

Quote:
Quote: