Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Street

Old 10-04-2017, 11:00 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by martim View Post
the mechanic says the gas tank float level indicator (I don't know what that is) is broken / no longer attached to the original welding. The bike leaks gas when it is on its kick stand...when I move it upright, to remove the kickstand and sit on it, is when it leaks a bunch more. Over a few days, it just completely leaks out all the gas...he says it isn't a hole or it isn't punctured. I have photos of the gas tank if anyone wants to take a look and let me know if maybe they know where I can get a new one. The tanks I have seen online have different screw openings, etc, etc. I have had NO luck with this bike...it's been one problem after another. I've had this bike since May and every other week, there is a new issue..absolute nightmare.
Is it leaking from the tank or from the carburetor? If it's the tank I would find where it is leaking from and patch. If it's coming from the carb then your float may need to be adjusted or float valve is leaking. Will it leak when you have the petcock off?
2020 Venom Ghost 250
105main,40pilot,17/36 sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9
2016 Black Hawk 250
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 10-04-2017, 11:28 AM   #32

Thanks for the quick reply...I asked the mechanic and will let you know what he says. Since I live in Miami, he does not speak english so I have to do the Google translate and wait for him to reply when I hit send. Had I known these bikes had these assortment of issues, I would have never purchased it. This is a bike for people who have experience in repair and modifying bikes within their home or place of business. Taking the bike to the mechanic every other week is not what I had in mind. Also, at this point, I am not even sure if he is taking me for a run for my money..

Old 10-04-2017, 11:47 AM   #33

He said it is dripping from the tank float...

Specifically between the joint / tie / connection between the metal plates where it is welded and held together.

Old 10-04-2017, 04:43 PM   #34

Send a message via ICQ to J-May
Well I'd try and patch the leak if you can find it before finding a new tank but that's just me. And not really having a good sense in how or where it's leaking is preventing me from understanding the exact problem and the best course of action to take. If you can post a pic of the leak that would help. But I'd try patching it via epoxy or some glue and patch combo. Try your local autoparts store and ask someone about fixing a leak in a gas tank they should have something. Wether it's a long term fix or a short term it should save you cash until can locate a new tank or just sell the bike. they should have something tho I mean they have headgasket fix and piston ring fix in a bottle and thats all mechanical based problems.

Old 10-05-2017, 09:52 AM   #35

I will try and see what I can find at the autoparts store...but it seems that it may be a weld job, which is out of my league.

Old 10-05-2017, 12:25 PM   #36

Quote:
I will try and see what I can find at the autoparts store...but it seems that it may be a weld job, which is out of my league.
If you find a guy brave enough or possibly dumb enough to weld on a gas tank, I would watch from a distance.

Old 10-05-2017, 01:18 PM   #37

Hahaha! But based on what he told me, you would think it would have to be replaced, right? Have any idea where I could get a part?

Old 10-05-2017, 03:02 PM   #38

Quote:
Hahaha! But based on what he told me, you would think it would have to be replaced, right? Have any idea where I could get a part?
A new tank sounds like a good idea. If you're at all handy try to remove the tank from the bike and attempt to locate the exact spot where it's leaking. Empty out all the gas and wipe down the tank so its free from any gas and the film it leaves behind. Then put some liquid in the tank make sure to use isopropyl alcohol in the tank, not a lot a few onces should do the trick.as it won't leave a residue behind and can burn in the engine. Then slowly turn the tank so the seam is vertical and then keeping with the seam vertical rotate the tank slowly until you find the leak. Once you found 1 leak make sure there aren't anymore. After the leak is found use the repair stuff i mentioned.
http://www.edgextremesports.com/fuel...saAh5cEALw_wcB
Permatex can be found all over. Walmart, autozone, O'Reiley's. I think they make great products that work. Follow the steps on the packaging and you shouldnt have a problem. Taking care of that leak. Best of luck!

Old 10-05-2017, 08:50 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-May View Post
If you find a guy brave enough or possibly dumb enough to weld on a gas tank, I would watch from a distance.
Please seek education. I used to safely weld fuel tanks on a regular basis. We dry the tanks outs with absorbing mats. Cut down for moto tanks. Run compressed air in the tank for 30 minutes through the fuel line or petcock. This dries out any remaining fuel and blows the fuel vapors out the filler hole. Then we purge the tank with carbon dioxide or argon gas to be doubly sure that all the fuel vapors. Then weld. Fuel vapors explosive. The liquid fuel burns. Eliminate these two variables and all is good for welding. Fuel doesn't absorb into metal like oils.

Old 10-06-2017, 01:13 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben2go View Post
Please seek education. I used to safely weld fuel tanks on a regular basis. We dry the tanks outs with absorbing mats. Cut down for moto tanks. Run compressed air in the tank for 30 minutes through the fuel line or petcock. This dries out any remaining fuel and blows the fuel vapors out the filler hole. Then we purge the tank with carbon dioxide or argon gas to be doubly sure that all the fuel vapors. Then weld. Fuel vapors explosive. The liquid fuel burns. Eliminate these two variables and all is good for welding. Fuel doesn't absorb into metal like oils.
Read the post and consider the issues on the table. Yes I am aware you can weld on a gas tank, just as you described. But the majority of people who may read this would see "yeah weld it up" and then bam someone's unnecessarily injuried because what they read on the internet and didn't second guess it. martim is looking for a way to fix the tank, and doesn't speak the same language as the guy doing the work, see how things could get alittle out of hand here. So next time, instead of being condescending towards me ;"please seek education", have some respect towards everyone on this form so it can be a place we can all enjoy. Thank you.

Last edited by J-May; 10-06-2017 at 01:14 AM. Reason: Spelling

Old 10-06-2017, 09:17 AM   #41

Thumbs Up

For one, to the both of you...

I appreciate the both of you even replying back to me and offering advice - it's been a frustrating experience on this bike so far, so it's greatly appreciated.

I put a Yoshimura RS-2 exhaust on this bike, a new 17T front sprocket, a new gold chain, a new Mikuni Carb (whether or not it's the real Mikuni is up for debate, I guess) and it runs and sounds great.....when it runs.

I had issues with the gas tank not getting enough air and the bike turning off when I was flying doing 45-50 MPH (glad I didn't get thrown off,) I had issues with the screws on the axles wearing down, I had oil leaking from the engine and now I have this fuel tank issue. These are all things, I am surprised frankly, that happened to a brand new bike. And rather alarming to me, as an amateur, that the US would allow a bike of this quality to enter the US and have people riding on.

That being said, I just want to ride this damn bike, normally, for a few months without a single issue...hasn't been the case so far. Jacob, another forum member (nice guy and has been very helpful) told me that this bike was probably not the best buy for someone just getting into this kind of stuff.

Finally, my mechanic told me he has someone who could do the weld. So, to the person who mentioned the weld...yes, it's possible. I just hope that he follows the protocol you mentioned so he doesn't blow up over a $1,600 bike.

As for the weld kit and the other patch ups you mentioned, I appreciate the advice on that, too...I am planning on going to Advanced Auto parts on my break to get the weld kits and deliver it to my mechanic. Hopefully, that solves the problem and I can report back here with good news. If not, the weld may have to be an option.

I want to post a photo here so you guys can tell me how the bike looks when all is said and done.

Thanks again for your help and happy Friday!

Old 10-19-2017, 09:35 PM   #42

Anyone know where I can get a gas level deal? Looks like an o-ring? It’s in relation to the gas leak I had. The proxy worked, now I just need to replace the gas seal ring. Thanks

Old 10-23-2017, 09:11 AM   #43

Hi guys, just following up...

Proxy did not work...he used the one you guys recommended, plus replaced the o-ring and after an hour, it started leaking again.

Only option left is to weld the gas tank.

I cannot find a new gas tank for this thing anywhere.

Old 11-05-2017, 12:40 PM   #44

Update Vader 125

I put 90mm jet and took reducer out of air box much improvement. I then changed exhaust to the addonly great response 1st 3 gears lost a little power in 4th gear will rejet carb a little more probably a 120. Exhaust is loud but sounds pretty tough.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (20.4 KB, 610 views)