Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Off-Topic/General Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-20-2015, 02:04 PM   #1

1999 GMC Sierra

Inspired by Katoranger, I decided to start a thread about the hillbilly repairs I've done to my old truck. I picked it up two years ago from a buddy at Church who was down on his luck; he was going to sell the truck to a scrap yard for $350.00, so I gave him $500.00 for it. It had new shocks, fuel filter, alternator, battery and tires. It had 365000km (226800 miles) on it, but the 4.8l LS motor runs strong and doesn't burn or leak oil.

The truck needed rear brakes and rear axle service, and my buddy couldn't sink the cash into it. He was trying to move to Saskatchewan, and just needed it gone.

It had a contractor canopy on it, and I promptly sold it for $250.00. I used that cash for rear calipers, axle seals, bearings and part of the parking brake cable assembly.

I can't find a pic of how it sat when I brought it home, but here's how it sits now, after a spring swap. More on that later.

1999 Sierra.jpg

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 04-20-2015, 02:08 PM   #2

Since the rear axle service, I've also repaired the driver's window regulator (which is manual, as are the locks), corrected the driver's door speaker and light wiring (due to some PO's butchery), replaced the door pins and bushings, installed new tailgate hinges, replaced the trans filter and fluid, changed the engine oil, stitched up the driver's seat and installed a free stereo that came from Son of Weldangrind. He recently bought a '98 Chev Cheyenne, and he installed a fancy stereo that someone gave him in exchange for guitar lessons. He gave me his reject Panasonic stereo, which plays MP3's, but only in CD format. Works for me.

EDIT: I also installed a new cabin air filter and new rear rotors.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Last edited by Weldangrind; 04-20-2015 at 03:28 PM.

Old 04-20-2015, 02:16 PM   #3

I've also installed 3500 mirrors that I bought for cheap on eBay. They extend for towing, and they're terrific. I bought a cheap brake controller online, and it plugged right into the truck harness. I had to run a power wire from the power box under the hood to the receiver, but the fuse holder and terminal were already in place.

The GMC and Chev trucks changed dramatically in '99. The 1500 wheels went from 5 lug to six, and the harness is trailer-ready. Since my truck came with the tow/haul feature, I bought a Class IV receiver and bolted it in. In retrospect, I should have grabbed a stock receiver from the boneyard and cleaned it up. They're much sturdier, since they tie into the bumper as well as the frame.

Old 04-20-2015, 02:25 PM   #4

My illegal Son and I grabbed a pair of 2500HD springs from the boneyard, because they're 2.5" like the stock 1500 springs, and the length is the same. Here's a comparison shot:

Spring Comparison.jpg

After some measuring, I determined that I couldn't use the bottom plates, since the 2500HD axle tube is a larger diameter. Here is a comparison of the plates:

Lower Reatiner Side View.jpg

Lower Retainer.jpg

Old 04-20-2015, 02:29 PM   #5

Since the 2500 HD springs have two more leaves (and a fatter and longer overloader), I couldn't use the stock size u-bolts. I also couldn't use the 2500HD u-bolts, because the thread doesn't extend far enough up the shank, and because the 1500 bottom plate holes are too small.

The solution was to have custom u-bolts bent up at Carrier Suspension in Abbotsford, for $10 each. I think that's fair for Grade 8 u-bolts with fine thread, deep well nuts and hardened washers.

Here's a comparison of the 1500, custom and 2500HD u-bolts:

U-Bolts.jpg

Old 04-20-2015, 03:15 PM   #6

Some shots of the removal / installation process:

Original Springs.jpg

Springs removed.jpg

Springs Installed.jpg

Old 04-20-2015, 03:23 PM   #7

The original driver's side leaf spring was a little flat, and I'm sure that's why the truck sat a little crooked as viewed from behind. The new springs have plenty of arc, and they're quite similar to each other. They're also quite black, and there's a yellow part number on the bottom side. I think these springs were changed not too long before the truck hit the yard.

It's important to point out that one should never perform a mod like this with the intent to increase the capacity of the truck. You'll still have a 1500 rear axle and driveshaft. I replaced the springs so that the rear doesn't squat as much when connected to my trailer. My truck was already rated for the trailer weight, and I use weight distribution bars.

The truck sits a little higher unloaded than I'd like, but I'll connect it to the trailer this week and see what it does. If it's level, I'll leave it alone. If it's too high, I'll buy some drop shackles and lower it the 2" that it gained in the spring swap. Time will tell.

Old 04-20-2015, 03:27 PM   #8

I forgot to mention fasteners. I bought all new matching grade bolts from Raider Hansen, and torqued them to spec. I installed them in the same fashion as the factory, so I can retorque in time.

Also, the custom Grade 8 u-bolts are spec'd to an astonishing 129 foot pounds! I had the spring shop confirm that number for me, just to be sure. I tell you, it was all I had to pull that torque wrench to that level. I can see the benefit in a 3/4" drive torque wrench, but I can't justify it. BTW, I confirmed the accuracy of the torque wrench with a calibrated torque wrench, and they were very close to each other.

Old 04-20-2015, 03:28 PM   #9

Interesting repairs and upgrades. I need to find me a cheap truck.

Is most of the rusting you see in your area caused by the salt air? Or do they use salt on the roads up on BC?

In the Inland NW... we don't use salt and don't have hardly any rust issues.

Cheers!

Old 04-20-2015, 03:36 PM   #10

The salt was from a hard life in Saskatchewan; they salt to about -10C, but anything below that temperature makes salt useless.

It's only the undercarriage that has rust like that. The body is remarkably clean.

There is no salt air where I live. I'm too far inland for that. Cars and trucks last forever in my area. This region hardly ever gets much below freezing, so ice on the roads isn't an issue. If you go into the Interior BC region where it snows heavily, I think they salt quite a bit.

Old 04-20-2015, 04:57 PM   #11

If I ever find the need to change the springs on my Silverado, I'll offer you three bottles of your favorite single malt for you to come and do it.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

I'm making this up as I go.-Indiana Jones

Telling me something 'is for my own good', is a fast way to a fat lip.-Me

I don't even care about my own problems, why should I care about yours?-Quote on one of my favorite t-shirts

Old 04-20-2015, 06:08 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesy View Post
If I ever find the need to change the springs on my Silverado, I'll offer you three bottles of your favorite single malt for you to come and do it.
One bottle, one case of your finest local IPA, and you pay for the return air fare from Bellingham, WA. Done.

I also request a tour of Cheesyland.

Old 04-20-2015, 07:07 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind View Post
One bottle, one case of your finest local IPA, and you pay for the return air fare from Bellingham, WA. Done.

I also request a tour of Cheesyland.
Finest local IPA, eh? Tough choice.

Not Your Fathers' Root Beer(spiced ale) is so popular around here that it comes off the shelf faster than it can get restocked. http://smalltownbrewery.com/

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

I'm making this up as I go.-Indiana Jones

Telling me something 'is for my own good', is a fast way to a fat lip.-Me

I don't even care about my own problems, why should I care about yours?-Quote on one of my favorite t-shirts

Old 04-21-2015, 12:07 AM   #14

Thanks for sharing your project. As always, you do excellent work.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 04-21-2015, 01:22 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesy View Post
Finest local IPA, eh? Tough choice.

Not Your Fathers' Root Beer(spiced ale) is so popular around here that it comes off the shelf faster than it can get restocked. http://smalltownbrewery.com/
Interesting! I wonder if they sell their product at the brewery. One of my favourite local breweries does, which is Dead Frog. http://www.deadfrog.ca/

The products I saw in the Small Town Brewery video reminded me of Unibroue, which is among the highest quality and most complex products I've ever tasted. http://www.unibroue.com/en

A tiny new brewery just opened up in my town, and so far, they are strictly tall bottles and growlers. They make an excellent product. http://www.oldabbeyales.com/