Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-20-2008, 11:47 AM   #1

Need for Speed - Air Filter Dilemma

Well, I checked my rear sprocket and it is a 46 tooth. I know that this early in the bike I should have babied it, but I took it up to 65mph and I would say that is not near red line, but like I've read on here or another forum, i would need more air flow and fuel to go faster. But, I don't really want to go faster, maybe just get lower RPM and fuel economy.

Here is another question: wont using a higher flow air filter allow more debris to enter the engine, thus increasing wear? (especially in a dust environment) The reason I mention this is because a friend of mine has a Polaris 300 Quad and had interest in changing out the air filter on his but was advised not do to it because of increased dirt and stuff getting in motor.

So what is the bottom line here?

Old 01-20-2008, 01:37 PM   #2

1st question about the air filter, How much off roading do you do? Or is it completely street?
2nd question about your sprocket, Have you thought about trying a smaller rear sprocket?
N2r.

Old 01-20-2008, 01:43 PM   #3

Well on my bike I changed the air filter and the exhaust and rejetted which gave me plenty of power to go offroad in the deep sand that used to bog down the bike real bad in stock form.
The power is most noticable where I need it, the low end when I start off.
The top end feels pretty much the same.

I used a K&N filter with the sock and if it is done correctly I have no worries of dirt getting into the engine any where near as bad as it would have with the stock airbox.

When I did the engine swap (OHV-to-OHC) I noticed the lousy fit of the stock airbox tube that connects the airbox to the carb, right at the box it wasnt sealing so I feel much more confindent in the simple K&N filter but I have read that the UNI filters are even better.

Old 01-20-2008, 03:36 PM   #4

Thanks for the clarity on this.