Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Media/Reviews/Classifieds/Sponsors > Reviews
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-10-2020, 11:59 AM   #1

Magician 500 Mile Review

When I got it from TXpowersports I was a little pissed that it was a 2016, even though it was new. It went together easy, and all bolts were tight amd welds looked good. I drained the oil and replaced it with 20W-50 Valvoline. After charging the battery, I tried starting it. It would almost start and finally after repeated battery charging, it did start and ran fair, obviously way too lean. I took it out for a short run, and immediately brought it home. I adjusted the valves to the (wrong) specs Motocheez showed on Youtube, and adjusted the clutch. Then it would start a bit better, but the head gasket was leaking. I contacted the dealer, and they requested a picture to show it was leaking. They sent out a new head gasket which I installed right away. Also, I had bought a tuning kit from NZbrakelathes for the carb. I installed a 42 pilot, 105 main, set the mixture at 1 3/4 out, and set the float height and then it ran like a top, although a little noisy.

Mods: 42 pilot, 105 main, adjustable needle set in middle slot, NGK spark plug.

Planned mods: Cat delete, 17t front sprocket, upgraded chain, oil cooler, pod filter.

Engine: Runs good throughout power range, and is quieter since adjusting valves to ,0025" and ,003" as per Megadan(thanks).

Clutch: It was hard to find neutral without cutting the engine off, but it would great now.

Gas tank: 1.8 gallons is too small.

Battery: It didn't make it through the winter very well. I've got a replacement coming.

Gauges and lights: I think they are fine for in town, but I don't plan on night driving on the Interstate anyway. If you're going to drive on the Interstate, the gearing needs to increase to max at higher than 59. Lost the lens off the blue light on the tank, I think that shows if the brights are on.

Mirrors: They work, but they're not the best.

Conclusion: I didn't know this site existed when I decided to buy the Magician. I have short legs, 29" inseam so I thought it suited me better than the other choices. I have seen none of the problems Motocheez has, bolts were tight and welds good so far. For $1200 delivered I have been very happy. I may not do any of the mods planned, simply because it runs so well. The little bit that I've done off road has been interesting because these tires are 100% street if you ask me. The Magician really shines in town, cornering great, good power, and it cruises great 40-50.

Old 07-15-2020, 10:12 PM   #2

Thanks for the review!

Old 07-17-2020, 02:06 PM   #3

Update on my Magician. I was going to do a 1,000 miles update this morning, but I guess it's now an 1100 mile update. My Magician is running great again. Compression 150, mileage 1095. I did a cat delete and cut up the airbox and added a pod filter; I thought this would make it have a lot better flow, thus needing a larger main jet. I should have just left the jetting where it was, and checked it out. After diagnosing that it kept running too rich, I'm back to a 105 Main with the clip position at the highest position. Still running a 42 pilot with 1 3/4 turns out on the a/f mix screw.

I used a piece of blue plastic and a grinder to make a lens for the lost one over the brights light.

I have had a few things vibrate off since my last report, but I'm to blame, not the bike mnfg. One of the bolts vibrated off the guard over the pipe because I forgot loctite. Also, one of the rear pegs fell off after I had put an o-ring in under the bolt, so that they would stay folded up.Must have forgot the loctite there as well. I took the other off; wife won't ride the back anyway.

The bike is just a bit faster now, it maxes at 61 or 62. I've got a 17 tooth sprocket, but I'm not going to put it on til I have to replace the chain.

I also put a wrap around the part of the pipe under the guard, and that has cooled down my leg a lot.

Conclusion: It's just what I wanted originally. It's a great bike for zipping around town and hitting the many gravel roads in the area. I've tried it off road a few times, and it handles sand and trails fine, but I'd have to change tires for much mud and/or rocks. My son-in-law wants one now.