Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-13-2023, 12:06 PM   #1

I think if you did a survey / poll and asked people if when they purchased their first motorcycle, was it the right / “perfect” choice and it’s the bike they still ride today and only bike they have owned, the percentage results would be very low.
I rode some when I was a teen - anything I could beg, borrow, steal - wide open throttle on fire trails, single track, up in the hills, etc. Those were little Hondas and stuff - 80cc, 125’s…
But as an old-timer, after 600 years in the service, I did some motorcycle safety training, got my endorsement and purchased… an 863cc Triumph. No idea what I was thinking other than I literally took one look at that bike and didn’t even need to sit on it before I knew it was the one. But it doesn’t scratch every it. I need a damn barn to make up for several decades of missed riding and adventures.
(But I try to ride that Triumph every day…)
Honda CB350
Honda CL450
Tyrion the Pit Bike

Old 11-13-2023, 05:02 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by McQueen216 View Post
I think if you did a survey / poll and asked people if when they purchased their first motorcycle, was it the right / “perfect” choice and it’s the bike they still ride today and only bike they have owned, the percentage results would be very low.
I'd agree with this as a generalization. In my case, I had decided on a Monday morning at 7am to start looking at used dual sports in my area, just to get an idea for the future. By 8am I had found a pile of new SSR's at a dealership, and discovered the "China bike market". By 11am, I had found the TT250 and never looked back. If I had to do it again, I'd do the same thing. It's only 2yrs later that I'm barely beginning to wonder what else is out there, despite a dozen riders swearing on their life that I'd outgrow a 250cc in a matter of months, and that I'd "1000% regret your purchase". Nothing is ever going to be perfect, but the rate that technology progresses would lead one to believe otherwise, and wait in line for a new phone to replace the new phone they bought last year.