Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Everything Else
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-21-2014, 12:54 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by katoranger View Post
Notice Buford was telling her to buy cat food. This must have been before we used the vacuum.
I hadn't noticed Buford in the background, Allen. Thank you for mentioning his presence. Buford is always careful to keep his priorities straight.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 12-21-2014, 12:33 PM   #32

Quote:
Emilie was making our to-do list in the second picture. We changed oil on the big gulp and cleaned it out for our Christmas trip. Filled up with $2.09 gas.
My Dad reported $0.80 per litre in Edmonton, which is roughly $3.20 per gallon. We haven't seen prices that low in 15 years.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 12-21-2014, 12:35 PM   #33

Quote:
This is what we are using for the donar. I bought two from the local golf course in July.
That's interesting. Were they runners?

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 12-21-2014, 12:36 PM   #34

Quote:
Dad got the hydraulics off one for his custom cub cadet project. I plan to try and use as much of the mower hydraulics as possible. There is already a cylinder to run a dump box and a 3 point type lift.
I'm quite intrigued by that. What will you use for controls?

Old 12-21-2014, 02:00 PM   #35

I got both to run, one was complete enough to drive. My plan is to use the controls from the mower. Each reel had its own spool with forward and reverse. I think I can use one the dump and one for the lift. The third may a remote for a log splitter.

Old 12-22-2014, 10:27 AM   #36

If you build a log splitter, please start a new thread. I'd be all over that project.

Old 12-22-2014, 01:19 PM   #37

That will be down the road. Don't really need one, but why not.

Old 12-22-2014, 07:36 PM   #38

Why not, indeed. I've thought of a similar project, using a spare 120VAC power pack I have. I think it's good for about 12 tons, which should be adequate. The part I haven't figured out is the controls, because they're quite expensive to buy new. I'd either need some strong springs to retract the cylinder, or a dual-action valve.

Old 12-23-2014, 07:22 AM   #39

www.surpluscenter.com has lots of stuff. Still expensive. We visit the farm and steal parts off of old machinery.

Old 12-23-2014, 10:23 AM   #40

That's what I need to learn how to do, and why I'm so interested in your hydraulic projects.

Old 12-27-2014, 10:20 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind View Post
That's what I need to learn how to do, and why I'm so interested in your hydraulic projects.
Weld, hydraulics aren't that hard to fathom. Most important rule is that everything liquid must get back to the tank. Things get very hot, then they get very messy when it doesn't.

Kato is right in getting all you can from a farm boneyard. Valves, fittings, hoses, pumps, and motors are mucho, mucho expensive.

From what I read about your plans for a log splitter, is the cylinder single or double acting? That would determine the type of control valve.

All of our hydraulic power packs are capable of 5 to 10gpm at 2000psi with 20hp gas or diesel engines. We make an electric one but it it requires 240/480v 3ph to run.

I'm done hi-jacking this thread.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

I'm making this up as I go.-Indiana Jones

Telling me something 'is for my own good', is a fast way to a fat lip.-Me

I don't even care about my own problems, why should I care about yours?-Quote on one of my favorite t-shirts

Old 12-31-2014, 11:45 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesy View Post
Weld, hydraulics aren't that hard to fathom. Most important rule is that everything liquid must get back to the tank. Things get very hot, then they get very messy when it doesn't.

Kato is right in getting all you can from a farm boneyard. Valves, fittings, hoses, pumps, and motors are mucho, mucho expensive.

From what I read about your plans for a log splitter, is the cylinder single or double acting? That would determine the type of control valve.

All of our hydraulic power packs are capable of 5 to 10gpm at 2000psi with 20hp gas or diesel engines. We make an electric one but it it requires 240/480v 3ph to run.

I'm done hi-jacking this thread.
Since we're more or less on topic, I presume our good friend Kato won't mind.

I'm familiar with hydraulics in terms of rebuilding cylinders and control valves at work, but not in the design of systems. I have a 120VAC power pack that is capable of about 12 tons, and I think it would split smaller logs, particularly soft woods.

I'd prefer double-acting, and I looked at a control at Princess Auto that I think would do the trick. Like this one: http://princessauto.com/en/detail/di...ff/A-p8382665e They're not giving them away.

I don't want to use hydraulic power to overcome a return spring, hence my preference for double-acting. What I haven't yet learned is how to calculate the correct cylinder for my application, with perhaps an 18" stroke.

Much research to do...

Old 12-31-2014, 03:28 PM   #43

I have a piece a paper that says I is edumacated in hydraulic systems. So I is able to hepl.

So, with a double acting cylinder, you'd want that exact 3-way valve. But, Cylinder diameter is more important than stroke and I doubt you'd need to be any larger than 3", probably less. A lot more will depend on the capibilities and capacities of your power pack. We'd need to know the system pressure and flow. Plus the capacity of the tank. I ask, because OTC/Power Team makes a small power pack, the PG302, that has small 2 smoke engine on it. It is also capable of 12T but because of its low flow and small tank, it takes a loooooong time to fill a system and you could go have a nice lunch before it extended a large cylinder. Great for a porta power, kinda sucky for a log splitter.

I'd think a tank at 4 gallons minimum with a return filter, 2.5" cylinder w\16" stroke, 3-way directional valve w\open center, system pressure/flow at 1300/1500 psi at 4-5gpm, and -6 hoses would be a decent splitter. If my in my head math is correct, you'd be getting 6400-7400psi at the end of the ram.

Something to chew on, Weld. Just need to know more about the power pack.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

I'm making this up as I go.-Indiana Jones

Telling me something 'is for my own good', is a fast way to a fat lip.-Me

I don't even care about my own problems, why should I care about yours?-Quote on one of my favorite t-shirts

Old 12-31-2014, 09:58 PM   #44

I'll pull the specs off it and get back to you.

Old 12-31-2014, 10:33 PM   #45

Weld, I don't know what I am doing. We just put stuff together.