Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Street
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-03-2020, 05:16 PM   #1

Mikuni VM22 Recommended Jet & Pilot Size. Also Black Emissions Filter Under Seat Help

Hello,

I am installing a genuine Mikuni VM22. What is the recommended jet and pilot size to start out on? I do live in Reno NV so our elevation is about 3200ft. I am new to carbs so I have very little knowledge. I have been looking the forum but was unable to find anything.

Thank you

Last edited by Mack87; 04-03-2020 at 06:55 PM.

Old 04-03-2020, 05:53 PM   #2

I also need some help with this hose. I dont see a spot on the carb for it. Do I plug it or tuck it away?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Hose.jpg (59.1 KB, 532 views)

Old 04-03-2020, 06:51 PM   #3

So I followed the line and this part was not even bolted to the bike. What would happen if I take this part off of the bike? I noticed the gas tank was hooked up to it. Can I remove it and leave the tube connected to the gas tank? There is no smog for motorcycle in my State.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Filter.jpg (83.9 KB, 517 views)

Old 04-07-2020, 01:20 PM   #4

Greetings!

Welcome to the forum!

Just a few questions to get started with:

What bike do you have?

Have you modified anything yet? Do you plan on modding it?

What kind of riding are you looking to do with it? Commuting? Stunting?

That’s enough questions for now. Do you have any pictures of your entire bike?

Enjoy the Ride!
-2016 Hawk 250 - Kitty Hawk - eBay exhaust, Mikuni carb(120 main/30 Pilot), airbox mod with K&N filter, digital cluster, total LEDs, 17/45 sprockets, RK chain, Shinko 244 tires, trunk, aftermarket levers, burrito tube, skid plate, Sargent Cycle Seat...
-2003 HD Sportster 100th Anniversary
-1999 Buell X-1 Lightning - Race kit, Buell Seat

Old 04-08-2020, 02:19 PM   #5

I bought the bike just to ride around with my wife. She is 4'11 @ 100lbs. She really wanted a sports bike so I bought her a new Z125 Pro. It is the only bike she can reach and handle weight wise. we are hoping she will graduate to a bigger bike in the future. It looks weird when we ride together when I am on my Honda Stateline 1300. I also thought it wold be a great way to learn to work on motorcycle.

So far I removed everything that was connected to the carb and manifold. I installed a gen VM22-133 22mm Mikuni VM Carburetor and new manifold. Put a petcock before the fuel filter. Added new fuel lines. Front sprocket and chain. I took out the air box and carbon filter. I plugged the bottom hose from the bore. I had to cut some of the plastic to get the air filter to fit. I did not want to carb to be leaning to the side when the bike was in the upright position.

I dont know anything about carbs but what I researched the past few days. My idle is really good and within the allotted amount of turns for the fuel / air screw. But I believe the 100 jet is to big since my spark plug is turning black after riding 30miles. I did not want to touch it since I am putting an exhausts on the bike. I need to take it to the shop to have it bent. I am hoping the new exhausts brings in enough air to lean it out. Since my altitude is 3000 plus there is a lot less air here. I am just happy I did not add the 110 jet like most people recommend.

Please let me know if I am missing something. I have never had to do anything on a motorcycle besides change the oil, filter and spark plugs. I know how to work on cars, trucks ect.. though
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Hose 2.jpg (85.9 KB, 461 views)
File Type: jpg Spark Plug.jpg (70.6 KB, 462 views)
File Type: jpg Carb Air Filter.jpg (93.8 KB, 459 views)

Old 09-27-2021, 09:39 AM   #6

Where did you settle on jets? I'm also in Reno, just picked up an Apollo 140cc dirt bike for my wife and to teach riding to a local foster kid we mentor..

You also mentioned being new to motorcycle/mechanics... if you need any local expertise I've been wrenching on bikes for 35 years or so.. not professionally but I've rebuilt several from the ground up and do all of my own wrenching.

Tags
jet, mikuni, pilot jet