Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > New Member Introductions
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-05-2020, 09:50 AM   #1

Greetings from Columbus, Georgia (near Atlanta)

Hello I am excited to be here! I’ve always wanted a dirt bike ever since I was a kid and my friend let me ride his 50cc. I’m finally about to get one and have decided on an Apollo 125cc for my first bike a pit bike. I have a couple of questions that hopefully some of you can help me with. I will post them in a different place if that might help better. So here goes.

1. I have spent a ton of time looking into Chinese bikes. One thing that irritates me is a lot of people mention the Apollo 125cc but which model could they be talking about? The db-007 and the db-35 and db-x18 are all 4 speed manual 125cc. The Apollo site doesn’t even have the models broken down with specs which I find odd. I even registered in the hopes of downloading owners manuals. Can someone help me on figuring out the detailed differences between all of the manual trans 125cc models? Some resource maybe? I am probably going with the dbx18 or 19 but I’m curious why this one is the most recommended and reviewed.

2. I plan to learn as much as I can about maintaining and fixing Chinese bikes and bikes in general. Any good tips or literature or YouTube vids for learning the basics for good maintenance and repair? I can continue to find on my own but any shortcut to finding good learning tools is appreciated. Or anything else you wish you knew when you first got a bike. I know to drain the change the shipping oil and tighten bolts frequently and whatnot. I will definitely read and follow instructions and what’s considered good practice.

3. I’m also going to buy a bike for my 8 year old son and any tips there are also appreciated. Leaning towards the SyxMoto Holeshot on Amazon as of now.

Anyway. The decision to go Chinese was an easy one. I’m about to spend a little over 10k on a used Honda Odyssey and it will safely and comfortably transport me my wife and my 3 kids with all kinds of features. It’s a good vehicle and lots of vehicle at that. The idea of spending that or more on a dirt bike is absolutely laughable. I’m excited to support the Chinese bikes and maybe in the future buy Japanese on the secondary market. But even then I LITERALLY laugh at all the bikes listed and the prices 25 year old bikes are being listed for and how they sit there not getting sold a ton of them.

I kind of rambled there but wanted to put my point of view here.

Old 04-05-2020, 09:55 PM   #2

Welcome to here! The companies tend to simplify their EPA certificates by using the same engine across a few different models. The 125cc Apollo will generally be the same engine no matter which model you choose. I think the differences in models will be the 'class' of pitbikes; some come with 17/14 wheels while others come with 14/12 and there are 12/12. I don't know how they differentiate their various models that might have the same size wheels other than, perhaps, looks and style. Someone can chime in if they understand the specifics of pitbikes, but again, the engines are generally the same across a few pitbike models. In fact, some of the smaller engines (i.e. 90cc or 110cc) are also on the same certificate. Either way, you should have some fun, and youtube has seemingly MILLIONS of videos on Chinese pitbikes. If you scroll down to the 'pitbikes, scooter, etc' section, I just coincidentally posted a video from the Bikes and Beards channel comparing one of the Apollo pitbikes to a Taotao pitbike.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 04-07-2020, 05:04 PM   #3

Greetings from the Sunshine State!

Welcome to the forum!

There are a lot of folks with the Apollo 125. Check out YouTube also. I just watched a video on an Apollo and a Tao Tao. Good video. I think it was from Beards and Bikes.

Here’s the link:

Enjoy the Ride!
-2016 Hawk 250 - Kitty Hawk - eBay exhaust, Mikuni carb(120 main/30 Pilot), airbox mod with K&N filter, digital cluster, total LEDs, 17/45 sprockets, RK chain, Shinko 244 tires, trunk, aftermarket levers, burrito tube, skid plate, Sargent Cycle Seat...
-2003 HD Sportster 100th Anniversary
-1999 Buell X-1 Lightning - Race kit, Buell Seat

Old 04-09-2020, 03:31 PM   #4

Thanks guys! I just bought the Apollo rfz x19 from wholesaleatv.com. I contacted Apollo directly asking if they had an owners manual I could download but have been met with silence on both times that I asked them a question. I knew support from them would be weak but I went with Apollo just because it seems to be the easiest to find parts and the most common one. I almost got the Taotao db17 off Amazon for a couple hundred less lol

But now I want to call Apollo directly and tell them not to ignore customers and potential customers it’s bad business. Maybe the frenchies don’t understand me idk. We’ll see.

I heard the documentation that comes with the bike is actually from another bike lol I got this bike to learn on and work on so here we go.