Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Other Brands
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-02-2011, 10:11 AM   #1

"LINDA" Lifan200 in a '72 Honda Help!

Got a Lifan 200cc 163fml to put in a 1972 Honda CB 175 super sport.
The parallel twin in the Honda has lost all compression and the head has seriuos damage. Replacement pistons could not be found so an engine swap was the route chosen.

http://s799.photobucket.com/albums/y...20200%20Lifan/

I need help with the wiring from anyone who has retro fitted one of these. There are two harnesses coming out of the crank and this is confusing me. I looked at the diagram for an LF200 and it looks like the six lead plug is for a gear indicator and the five lead is for the magneto. Is this the case?

Old 01-02-2011, 10:41 AM   #2

The gio beast has the same wires there, the gear indicator plug is only used on it for the neutral indicator I believe, the rest are left unconnected.

Here's a diagram doc posted when I was looking at wiring on the beast before I took it to weldangrinds... http://www.hooperimports.com/showpages.asp?pid=1013 It shows you the 5 connections. Good luck. You'll want the vertical engine one I believe, the colors may not match though.

Old 01-02-2011, 06:31 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim
the colors may not match though.
Indeed. Jim and I each have a 200cc Beast atv that was manufactured in April 2007, and the wiring harnesses are not identical.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 01-02-2011, 07:22 PM   #4

The other cable with the small wires is for the gear position indicator and can be ignored but one of them, who knows which, may operate the neutral light.

Great project. Sounds like a neat bike. Needless to say we want a steady stream of pictures.

Old 01-02-2011, 07:24 PM   #5

I can't imagine it will be a drop in installation. Do the mounts line up? Are the sprockets and chain in line? It will likely have a little less power than the bike did when new, but it may also be a bit lighter. A very interesting project!

Old 01-02-2011, 07:58 PM   #6

No, the mounts don't mate at all. They are however the same offset from the drive sprocket over. I've got a CB 125 front engine mount on the way to do a little mod on. That will mount the front of the engine then I'll build a brackets to mount the rear and head, I'll also be fabbin a nwew header. All that engineering, cutting, grinding, and welding is right up my alley and what I consider easy/fun. The electrical however has always been my weak point. Especially when I get three wiring diagrams with three different sets of colors, none of which match the colors coming out of my engine.
You are correct about the power as well. From what I've read, the lifan 200cc has 16hp, that's about 4hp less than the Honda twin 175. However, the Lifan looks like it will produce the same if not a touch more torque which will work out great. Regardless, anything will be stronger than what was on there. The original engine has been gettting weaker and weaker.

Old 01-02-2011, 08:03 PM   #7

I just built a great Honda/Lifan hybrid. If the diagram's not enough to get you through it PM me for my phone number and I'll talk you through it. Also look at my Honda/Lifan (The Dirt Rat) threads.

Bill

Old 01-02-2011, 09:17 PM   #8

I really appreciate that Bill.

I am sure I'll take you up on it. One quick question, anyone know if this is a suitable CDI?
http://www.denniskirk.com/jsp/produc...fCatId=&mmyId=

The plugs look like they're setup right and the fitment is for similar sized Hondas.
I don't really care about rev because I don't plan to rag the bike but the BBR stuf gets great quality reviews.

Old 01-02-2011, 09:40 PM   #9

It's probably right. The only variable is that some have rounded plugs as that one appears to have and others are squared off. Just go by the plug that the motor has. Mine did not have a plug at all, just wires that I added a plug donated by one of our forum's members.

I'm running the one that came with my engine and it works fine. It's the $15 variety but they do not have a reputation for longevity.

Old 01-02-2011, 09:45 PM   #10

The plug ont the motor has charging leads as well as ignition leads. It's my understand that the plug there is only to be hooked to a harness which then seperates the leads to the appropriate connections, ie the reg/rec, and the CDI. I'm thinking about getting this http://www.hooperimports.com/product.aspx?pf_id=DSWire
Looks like it has all the right connections, one for the engine, one for the CDI, a plug for the reg/rec, and connections to tie the charging to the battery. For $40 it would be hard to buy these plugs and build it myself.

Old 01-02-2011, 11:21 PM   #11

I think it should do the trick, by the way I really like the bike so far

Old 01-03-2011, 03:21 PM   #12

As a point of trivia, hp used to be rated at the crankshaft, and now it's rated at the wheel. It is possible that the original engine and the new 200 will be about the same.

Roughly translated from Spanish, "Linda" means beautiful (among other synonyms). Excellent name choice.

Did you paint the rims yourself? How did you prep them?

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 01-03-2011, 03:23 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by surveywaters
The plug ont the motor has charging leads as well as ignition leads. It's my understand that the plug there is only to be hooked to a harness which then seperates the leads to the appropriate connections, ie the reg/rec, and the CDI. I'm thinking about getting this http://www.hooperimports.com/product.aspx?pf_id=DSWire
Looks like it has all the right connections, one for the engine, one for the CDI, a plug for the reg/rec, and connections to tie the charging to the battery. For $40 it would be hard to buy these plugs and build it myself.
That looks like the best and most cost effective solution. Larry is a good guy there. You can talk to him for advise on the telephone.

Old 01-03-2011, 06:08 PM   #14

The rims and spokes were sand blasted, then the hub got soda blasted (best way to clean aluminum IMHO), wash with dawn/hot water, let dry, degrease with acetone, then it was all primed with acid etch primer. At this point the tube/tire goes on. Didn't inflate so I could get the tape between the bead and rim. Masked the tire off real good, degrease again, another coat of primer for good measure, then 2 coats base, 2 coats clear.
No matter how good you do this, it's gonna get scratch during the next tire change so don't go cheap on the skins!

Powder coat would be best but I don't know anything about the process or how it would effect the brake drum or if they would even powder the spokes.

I am having trouble with the tank though. That's just rattle can because I wanted the matte look, the petrol is destroying it though. Any suggestions on a decent auto coat that has the look I'm going for?

Old 01-03-2011, 07:05 PM   #15

Here are some pics of the rims obn my '74 XL 125. Just painted them the same way but closer pics
http://s799.photobucket.com/albums/y...74%20xl%20125/